Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong policing on the streets of Dublin tonight (24/11) - **Read OP before posting**

Options
  • 24-11-2023 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

After last night there's scenes of heavy zero tolerance policing on the streets

https://twitter.com/IREUKmedia/status/1728154352005546240

Which is great to see, but what would it take to see this consistently? I mean, could we see this kind of show of force one week in Darndale, then the following week in Finglas, then Tyresllstown, Jobstown etc.

Then the other side is, are any of these thugs or the ones arrested last night going to see the inside of a jail cell? I already know the answer, suspended sentences for all, is there really no appetite or political incentive for one of the main parties to push for judicial & sentencing reform?

Mod Warning:

The riots on Thursday 23 November cannot be discussed as this is a matter that is before the courts

Discussion of subsequent events and ongoing policing issues is fine unless and until someone is charged

Threadbans:

Str8outtaWuhan

bertieinexile

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Locking the stable door springs to mind.

Not your ornery onager

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Jail? Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You do realise that the Gardai in town tonight are in on over time or have been taken from another area? So no chance of seeing it consistently

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes been like that all day today. Good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

I know, I just think that a few months of this kind of policing would stabilize a lot of areas, everyone goes on about the city but some of the suburbs are just straight up hellish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

There does appear to be a bit of trouble outside what looks like Store Street Garda Station according to some videos doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Some nice tackles in those videos, 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The usual over the top costly response to a few hours of a bunch of useless losers causing havoc.

It gives the.imoresdion that the gardai and govt care..they don't.

It just gives them an excuse for meaningless soundbites and .

Looking at the names and addresses and job positions🥴😁 of some who appeared in court came as no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You will see that type of policing in cities all over Europe.

Police on patrol spot trouble call in back up.

Van arrives troublemakers cuffed and in the van pronto.

Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’d support a bus load of mobile Gendarmerie style public order heavyweights being permanently on call in the city centre. Think Spain’s Guardia Civil, or Italy’s Carabinieri. Paramilitary, equipped for cracking skulls, and an adjunct to the regular Gardaí, offering a ‘fcuk around and find out’ style.

Annual Lugs Brannigan Medal and substantial annual bonus to the member with the highest skull crackin’ score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's probably a great opportunity for the guys last night to go have a riot somewhere else and go crazy there. We just need a lot more Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Hopefully it lasts more than just a couple of nights.

Pat Kenny asked this morning why was the Garda Mounted Unit not deployed last night, which made me realise, I've never seen them in the city, except on St Patricks day.

The guys you mention don't have to get heavy with ordinary day to day messer's very often.

The local scallys know they mean business so the fear factor is high.

That's what's missing in Dublin.

Most of AGS didn't draw their batons last night - think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

They're regularly out and about, I've often seen them in town.

This weekend, and last night particularly, would be a great opportunity to go on a burglary spree in Dublin's neighbouring counties - I'd say there's not a guard stationed between here and a 50km radius that's not in Dublin city centre this weekend.

If that level of policing lasts a week, though, I'll eat my hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

They're regularly out and about, I've often seen them in town.

no they're **** not, I knew it wouldn't be long before the "shur it's grand" crowd appeared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

"The local scallys know they mean business so the fear factor is high"

There's zero fear of the garda, another court appearance is just a day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any word on Operation Freeflow going ahead this year? They used to bring in the recruits from Templemore for the Christmas traffic action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Well done to the Guards this evening dishing out hidings. However - this is long overdue. Most of us that live there are aware of the feral scrotes that roam in packs causing havoc for people and businesses across the city.

It is now the time Dublin got its own Metropolitan Police Force distinct from An Garda Siochana. A heavy handed no nonsense police force, equipped with the best technology and tools and built for the job.

Enough is enough - change in approach required for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭a2deden

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Who said anything is grand? It's most certainly not grand.

I was just responding to the poster who said he'd never seen the mounted unit in town other than on St Patrick's Day.

• Advertisement

That's it.

There has to be consequences for acting the maggot.

Once you establish that fact, the rules of the game so to speak, the culture changes.

I travelled through the city centre every day for 4 years for work, and never saw the mounted unit and very rarely saw a guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The bodycams badly needed to end the fairytales in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The poor craturs just trying to get some Nike's for the starving childers.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭billyhead

You often see their presence on Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Shouldn't there be strong policing on the streets of Dublin every night. What exactly is the negative effect to the city for having a strong police presence on the streets.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to recruit more Gardai in general, better to have too many Gardai than the current situation of having too few.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭billyhead

Easier said then done. It's not as if people are joining the guards in droves.

What would be the negative effect? I'll tell you. There isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

It would be a great idea if they weren't already leaving in their droves. Not sure what the exact nature of the issues are but I'd imagine arresting the same people over and over would dishearten anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The city has been desperately neglected since the Corona Virus pandemic. I've been campaigning my city representatives & I've been pretty vocal on boards.ie about the need for a dedicated metropolitan & public transport Garda force.

The city is the main economic drive for the whole country. It's time to put some of that money back in to where it all comes from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement