Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life passing by people in their 30s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's basically the same thing as I am saying. The "social mix" stuff will have to be set aside and the council have to go back to building whole estates. But you can't farm out the "problem" tenants either, or else you create an incentive for people to be troublemakers so that they get housed in more sought after areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

but the difference is one is buying a property..ie an asset, the other is just renting from the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

you can get way better weather, infrastructure, health care, cost of living, in a huge amount of countries. Pay would also be higher in the likes of Australia and Canada. Also in the vast majoroty of countries, the highest rate of tax, doesnt kick in until you are on a high income, 200k plus minimum, here, 42k and everything over that , fifty percent is thieved off you, extreme taxation over a pittance of an income. If you are on 42k a year in Dublin, paying market rent etc, you are poor...

its funny, the ones we dont want having kids, are now incentivised even more to have them, to use them as a tool , to speed up their chance of getting their 4eva home. The ones we do want to have kids, arent having them, because they cant afford them and in general, they didnt put their names on the housing list over a decade ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭SharkMX

• Advertisement

I went out with a girl when I was 17. She was 18. Her whole family had never worked a day in their lives. We went out together for about about 5 months. She said to me that we should have a baby. I asked why. She said we could get a house if we had one or two children. I said no. I got dumped shortly after. Last I heard of her she had that baby she wanted about 2 years later.

True. In my parents time if you had done your leaving cert you would walk into a job, and if you had any degree you would nearly be canonized.

A few years later and it was if you had any degree you would walk into a job.

Then a masters was what made you special.

All of those required that people start into the workforce and launch their life later and later.

Nowadays its nearly expected that you stay in education until you are almost a quarter century old.

The whole educational achievement process has been diluted at this point and is only holding people up launching their lives. I work with a guy and his son is 30 and still in education. His 2 daughters are 23 and 24 and are finishing up in college and going traveling next year. He said he didnt mind funding them as it was cheaper than keeping them at home and they might get into work mode while they are away. He often says they will have him working until he dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I assume you mean he's a subscriber and not a creator? The money some women can make on onlyfans, they'd have enough for a deposit in no time.

You sound like a sh*t Ayn Rand. No surprise you’re so defensive of “your” pension since Ms “No such thing as society” died on benefits too.

And before you try and claim that this is class warfare, I’ve never worked in the public sector and my income is in the top 1 percent of earners. I just matured past the economic views of a badly bullied 14 year old.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,232 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Advertisement

The thing is. If you do land on your feetv with some new luxury apartment or house in Dublin, you effectively win the lotto. No lpt, management fee, no mortgage interest or protection. Say you get a 500k market value property. What would the interest be on that over 30 years with current interest rates? Half a million. So there is one million euro BEFORE income tax !! Needless to say, many of these 4eva social homes in Dublin, could now gave a value of 600-700,000! No singleton unless on mad money could get that, a couple, you'd need nearly 200k combined income, to get what others are getting for as good as free... I suppose this is what varadk meant by looking after the early risers , lol !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Back to the original point, there is a follow-up bit in the Irish Times today from the parent's point of view, some of it sensible and some of it illuminating adult children in their 30s leaving a mess and expecting a parent to tidy up, never psychologically developing an adult-to-adult relationship, seeming to see their parent and parents house as a fall back position if things don't work out.

The solution to put a studio in the back garden for the 23-year-old to have space and privacy and have their bf over was a good idea.

That is a good idea though. The alternative is e800 plus bills minimum for a houseshare. How can you save when paying that and most young people are on a pittance... Garden rooms make particular sense if there is side or rear access...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The problem is that today's world people are spending time and money on degrees which are often worthless, obsolet as they are soon based on outdated knowledge. Unless it's some kind of science degree, medical, etc... degrees don't really make much sense.

And even with many degrees, you get jobs, which pay only for rent in shared housing, no real chance setting money aside.

Historically things were even worse, back in the days in the British empire, a soldier from Wales or Scotland signed up for the military for a Shilling a day, uniform, food housing and pension, if he survived....and career advancement wasn't possible, - so I'd say "in your parent's time" it was rather good, good times, countries recovering slowly after WW2, and it's aftermath, slowly wealth spreading from one country to the next.

Today it's only about social and political division. Sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

There was a study done about habit forming, with the notion that the longer children stay at home past 35, the less likely they'll leave.

I can imagine that's true. If you live at home at 40, then your options for dating and starting a family are getting a little limited. Add this to then chances your parents are hitting 70s, and are starting to need some form of care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I am not so defensive of the pension, I fully accept that things change. It may be unaffordable later, I have no idea. I ideally we would have a government that would fund an investment account instead of the ponzi pay as you go scheme. Also, I didn't say there is no such thing as society, there is no such thing as an explicit social contract. Just because people were able to "degree+job=house" before doesn't mean they will continue to do that. People have different views, some think the state should hand everything to them (I guess in their mind that is the social contract).

You were using ridiculous comparisons such as the pension and young people during covid. I don't buy it that young people were the ones who sacrificed the most. They weren't working in the hospitals in March 2020 when we had no idea how severe it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

To me there's a big difference between people who find themselves back at home through circumstance and those who just never moved out in the first place. I'm part of the first cohort and believe me, it's not fun or easy. And I'm lucky enough to have very sound parents. I genuinely can't understand any adult who would remain at home into their 30s or later through choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,232 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Adults that stay at home will have more spending money. They all will probably have no rent or a greatly reduced. They may have to pick up the Broadband, electricity or other utility bill. Probably he equivalent to 40-50/week.

After that they often have there meals free as well as cooked for them. I have a BIL that lives at home his mother takes very little off him. He is off to stay in a hotel in some place along the west coast for 1-2 days every weekend. He would hardly cut the lawn for her. Wanted a ride-on lawnmower bought. If he dose not like what for dinner that even he goes to the takeaway.

Ten years ago he used to go drinking mid week and miss work the following day but seldom drinks mid week now so started going away every week end

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It was a good article and some of the entitled 30 somethings complaining about not being able to masturbate loudly enough last week should read it. The parents have to ride/masturbate quietly too, but the 30 somethings didn’t seem to realise what’s sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Anyhoo I do think it is very tough for younger people now, especially single ones. I do t think it’s fair to give out about them not working hard enough when you see the prices to rent a house right now.

Don’t get me wrong, I left home as a teenager for England and that was hard in its own way, I wouldn’t like if mine own kids had had to do it, but it’s hard to be stuck at home until your 30s too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Only read the original article now - I'll take back some of what I posted earlier, they sound like gobsh*tes, not sensible people building wealth by refusing to hand it over to billionaire landlords such as Larry Goodman.

I particularly like the part below. If someone posted that on this site they'd probably be accused of being a WUM.

"Evie has had instances of her nieces bounding into her bedroom while a vibrator is visible on the nightstand. Her father walked in while she was taking an online sexual empowerment course with sex educator Jenny Keane and practising some sexual techniques on a cucumber"

The ones working in the hospitals like the, ya know, the nurses? Who you were slating earlier on and referring to as part of a holy triumvirate?

You’re all over the place mate. Just log off and go walk past a homeless person to make yourself feel better about what you’ve achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

My wife is a nurse and she was working in the hospitals throughout Covid, I know it was a lot more sacrifice than youngsters who couldn't meet up for drinks for a while, god love them. My point about the nurse/guard/teacher is that we always seem to bring them up in Ireland when discussing policy. A teacher/nurse/guard should be able to do XYZ etc. It might have been the case in the past when those better off were working for the state as we had an underdeveloped private sector.

You seem to have a real issue with someone having a different opinion to you. Where have I ever said anything about homeless people? I am merely pointing out that people might have to get used to us moving closer to European levels of home ownership. It will still be possible for them to buy a property but it might require more sacrifice than before and it will probably be a lot more difficult for a guard to build a property portfolio.

I have no issue with you having a different option whatsoever. In fact, I said several posts ago, that we have a value judgement difference and to have a pleasant BH weekend. Everything since then is just you being unwilling to let someone else have the last word.

Of course, no young people work in frontline healthcare. Our medical and nursing graduates famously don’t enter the workforce between the ages of 22-24. And we definitely didn’t graduate all the medical final year students early to bring them into the workforce months ahead of schedule. Those lazy young folks, eh.

Thanks to your wife and her colleagues for their sacrifices and efforts during CoVid. I wish the state had marked it with more than 1k.

Good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

I own an apartment. I sat one night thinking how can I do it and it was simple buy a tent and go to waste ground and live there. I also bought a loaf of bread and a block of cheese twice a week to feed myself. Right now as I type this on my Acer Predator Helios 16 laptop I look above the laptop screen I can see cars drive by the Dublin quays from my penthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Joe_Schmidt_4_Life Thread banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Advertisement