Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life passing by people in their 30s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I know a few blocklayers who during the good times decided to do a three day week. The money was so good they could go golfing on four days a week! People will always want to work a bit less, but it's not always possible.

There was a thing around the time of the last recession where young people were doing work for no money at all as interns. Crazy stuff really, but I don't think you could do that now, if you want staff you're going to need to reward them.

Your (and mine) PRSI payments are not locked away for future payments to you or I. The entire system operates on a pay as you go model.

The assumption that just because you paid in , you’ll get something back is based on the same social contract that young people think means that “college then decent job equals house”.

It’s ok though, I’ve no doubt it will be people below 40 who get the good news that there is no longer a state pension due to shifts in dependency ratios and underfunding. That’ll go well when much of that same generation has no housing stock of it’s own.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Your characterization of the downtown in construction being caused by a fall-off in rents is bonkers.

It's a well acknowledged phenomena - If the government added another surprise 20k to a FTB grant tomorrow, houses which are already built and just about to come to market would be bumped up most of that 20k.

A lot of the increase in new house prices is fed back to the land. And then all the middlemen in between see everyone else doing well and want an increased cut too.

In previous generations, those who couldn't afford houses were put into social housing built by the State. They weren't artificially brought up to competing against private buyers.

The first thing that would need to be changed is this emphasis on having a "social mix". As laudable as that is in theory, it hamstrings LAs. (which I think suits them)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It's a fair few years back but my nephew was applying for bar management in college. Probably when the scales fell from my eyes and I realised that colleges were going to start giving degrees in anything.

Now before someone jumps on me, I appreciate that there's a lot to managing a bar and even just working in one but is everything going to have to be a college degree.

Whatever happened to learning on the job from someone who knows the trade.

And this country needs to go back to appreciating apprenticeships. We need the plumbers carpenters and other tradepeople. Properly trained paid during this time and with qualifications at the end.

• Advertisement

The State needs to go back hiring those people. Give the tradesmen jobs with security and pensions and nice hours in the Councils. Yes, there will be inefficiencies but it could attract more people into the sector.

Ironically, almost every single carpenter I know fecked off and worked for a couple of years in Australia. And that was common back to the 80's from what I gather.

A neighbour of mine who was a good few years older than me left school at 16, did his apprenticeship in carpentry and fecked off to Australia and never came home. He'd be gone over 25 years.

I actually have two relatives now that I think of it who were freshly qualified (or nearly qualified) after the bust, and they went over there as well and just settled there.

So I don't get the bitterness at some Arts student going to Australia or Canada and trying to find a job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

There's definitely more to progressing than just busting your hump.

You've got to be strategic about it and timing/available opportunities are out of your control for the most part.

But if the prevailing thought that nobody ever gets ahead was true then there'd be no management.

Somebody needs to get promoted and in my experience your work load lessens with each jump.

Responsibilty increases but day to day workload decreases giving you more time and flexibility (in my experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This attitude is exactly the problem.

If you can only see short term gains, you'll never ever get anywhere. If you never put in any effort, you'll never get any return.

Not all gratification is instant and that's what these people cannot understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I would agree that it will probably changed, I am just over 40 so may well be affected. But the "assumption" isn't based on some unspecified "social contract" that everyone has a different version of in their heads. It is based on the number of PRSI contributions and is spelled out in detail here:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/older-and-retired-people/state-pension-contributory/#:~:text=The%20number%20of%20paid%20PRSI,contributions%20can%20be%20voluntary%20contributions.

Can you show me where the this college+job=house is coming from? I know people in the past with a degree may have been pretty much guaranteed (maybe, they might have had to emigrate), but it isn't the necessarily the case today. But with effort and saving during your 20's, I think it is possible for most people on average incomes to buy. If you get to your 30's with nothing saved, you have made things very difficult for yourself.

• Advertisement

Council estates have serious social issues. It would be even worse today if you look at the breakdown of the social housing waiting list today (> 80% unemployed in Fingal for example IIRC). In the 80's most people worked and there were still issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, the idea that working yourself to the bone for no benefit will pay off is the problem.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The irony must be lost on you that you are calling for all the immigrants to go home from Ireland, but you were one yourself at one stage...give your balls a tug there pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Eh you’re reading waaaaay too much into my posts- don’t really have the inclination to reply anymore - I’ve made myself clear so off you pop and find someone else to play with

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ernielove

I left for central Europe in 2010, met a local, got married, three kids later and the citizenship forms are filled in and with the migration department. Housing wise we rented for years and only lucked in when her Folks sold us their old house and we were able to knock alot of it and build a house half the way we wanted it. The point is, out here there's no shame in renting, everyone rents so its in fact the opposite. Massive apartment blocks are owned by insurance, pension and hedge funds and when individual apartments are sold you need a million plus to be in the running for a shoe box. Don't even bother with houses...

The point is that Ireland as a nation has been obsessed with ownership of property for years... rent is dead money etc etc, and to a degree thats right, same time though renting has alot of advantages.

The earlier posters who mention the holidays the cars etc and the same people who have these don't have the money for a deposit are right, you cant have it all. Not in Ireland anyway. Go abroad if you want to have a fair crack at 'having it all'

Dumping them into private estates doesn't solve any of those issues but that is not the point I was making. All it does is subject even more people to such behaviours.

As long as you insist on having a "social mix" then you will not have the State building substantial housing. They can't. If you are going to have 20% social housing in every estate and you want the Council to build 100 houses, well then that means the council must build 4X private houses for every X social houses it builds. So 80 houses for the private buyer and 20 for the social tenants.

So it is not practical to have both targets.

The retirement age, number of PRSI contributions required and the weekly payments are all subject to change subject to the government of the day. I’m not sure why you’re linking to the current scenario when my entire point is that it’s subject to change at any time. And I repeat, it’s a pay as you go system. Your contributions aren’t in a vault like a DC scheme,

I think that most reasonable people would agree that a single essential worker such as a nurse or a guard should be able to buy a house in Dublin with reasonable effort in terms of savings. The feedback on this thread and amongst the voters about to put SF into power, is that they can’t.

Like I said, I’ve no dog in this fight. The only impact SF being in power will have on me is increasing my tax bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Where can you go abroad to have it all?

Curious, I want to go there asap. Thanks in advance.

Of course it is subject to change, but the current situation is spelled out. Can you send me on the text of this "social contract" that people think is being broken? SF might get in the next time, they might have more social housing for those who don't work, less housing for first time buyers, that will be about it. They will complain they need another term, Irish people have short memories and won't take that as an excuse (as they didn't take the financial collapse, Covid, inflation due to the ukraine invasion etc). A nurse/guard/teacher is able to buy a property in Dublin if they put their minds to it currently. They don't have the privileged position that state workers had for most of the existence of the state where their job security meant they were able to buy much more easily than private sector workers (it used to be a thing that guards had property portfolios).

• Advertisement

Askihg for a copy of the social contract isjt the gotcha you seem to think it is.

Was there a copy of the social contract published when young people were locked down to stop the spread of a disease that was pretty much harmless to them? The economic impacts of which were much greater on younger generations, before you even allow for the second order effects of artificially high asset prices due to interest rates being too low for too long.

It’s clear we have a different value judgment on this, so I’ll wish you a pleasant Bank Holidau weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

Even I lived by myself since I was 23, but I still believe people should shut up and stop being so judgmental on people who living w their parents. 😜it’s none of your biz! It’s not like your are better than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

And this is why in another ten years you'll still have no house and no money. You're lazy and entitled.

I don't mean that as an insult, it's the reality.

If you don't think hard work will get you anywhere, but you deserve the benefits of it anyway, then there's no other description.

Unfortunately this seems to be more and more common.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not interested in some edgy lad on the internet spewing bile and preaching debunked libertarian drivel.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The truth is hurtful, unfortunately it's still the truth. It's better to bear the pain of the truth than the easy option of a lie especially to yourself

Slava Ukrainii

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

Good post. Far too much entitlement out there these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 notthereyet

It's a safe option a lad in his 30s near me here has a new house built but still chooses to live at home with his mom and dad just the 3 of them, his mom does everything for him and he has all of life's comforts. He doesn't go out at all now just goes to work and a couple of sun holidays a year and he might even bring his mom on one of those as well. Probably has an only fans account and he can switch her off after a half an hour. He living the dream me thinks.

No and neither was their a copy that said everyone furloughed should be paid €350, regardless of whether they were only working a few hours a week. Or that nurses should have to work in hospitals throughout Covid while teachers stay at home looking after their mental health.

The social contract is an abstract theory, it doesn't exist in reality. In some countries it is expected that you will rent for life, e.g Switzerland (which I assume is the country the poster above moved to). In Ireland it is likely that there will be reduced home ownership compared to what we had in the past. It will still be possible for the holy trinity of nurse/guard/teacher to afford to buy but it will require some sacrifice.

• Advertisement

I don't think the current situation of buying up 20% of estates and allocating them to people who for the most part don't work (current housing list, not people in council estates currently) is a good idea at all. It creates this perverse incentive to have kids when you can't even look after them, just to get higher up the list. What I would propose is government built estates for lower income workers (some sort of criteria like working last 5 years) and also essential workers who need to live in the area. The estates would not be populated with those on the social housing list, they would be catered for under the HAP system, which is objectively worse.

Advertisement