Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life passing by people in their 30s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

Yeah, but we will have reduced the massive income inequality causing the issue, so the us and them is gone and things will improve

On this thread are arts graduates saying they got forced into tech to survive, we need an economy that works for everyone not just those in tech

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can you provide any data for your assertion that things used to be better?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

In 1991, Home Ownership was 80%. And 10% in social housing. So 90% of the population had a secure forever home, only 10% paid dead money and that would have mostly been students or people just moved to Dublin from the country. Better times.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2023-05-31/8/#:~:text=In%201991%2C%20Ireland%20had%20one,in%20the%20private%20rental%20sector.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And the rest? Tech booms causing homelessness and everyone being able to buy in their own communities?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

People didn't have to rent before the crash. Everyone in my extended family, in fact all neighbours etc that I know over 40 own a house because they could get mortgages during the boom. After 2008 the recovery was based around the tech companies coming here for low tax rates. The country has been dead for over a decade for people who don't own homes. Though things seemed better in 2012 and 2013. Cheap rents, cheap nightlife and no stigma around renting, people actually talked like renting was the way forward. Its since 2016ish that the worst times have been here with sky high cost of living and renters viewed as "dead money"

Im not alone in these thoughts. I know lots of very liberal people currently up in arms about immigration because of housing.

• Advertisement

H. H. Asquith

Do you think the state of the country at the moment is good? Do you not feel we are going to experience both political and social unrest because of the housing situation for young people?

Still nothing. All you've done is present a whitewashed version of the past.

H. H. Asquith

What has caused the collapse in home ownership with young people then? How do you get back to normal instead of intergenerational houses and renting? Seriously answer that dont do another retort

I'm not going to research your arguments for you. Impoverishing everyone isn't a solution.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Advocating for Celtic Tiger banking is mad tbf.

BTW AI is going to destroy a load of tech jobs and modular housing will do the same for construction workers.

So the first will be last soon enough.

If people have houses they are not impoverished! In Ireland home ownership is the basis of our society. Social housing is the fall back. Private renting is looked at as dead money.

Why should a renter for an non multinational not want to destroy an economic set up they are locked out of

Still no proof.

Can you give an example where a government drove out tech companies and it resolved these problems?

H. H. Asquith

How about you stop being a smart ass and reply to my main points.

1. How can things have been worse in the past when less than 10% of people lived in private rentals?
    2. Why would someone who doesn't work for a tech multinational or own a home want to support the current economic system. How do I benefit having to work two jobs to rent a studio flat?
    3. How do you maintain high paid tech jobs that are out of synch with the rest of the labour forces income and resolve housing in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Suggest you ask your organ grinders in SF.

They don't seem too keen on sharing their ideas, but we should absolutely take them at their word that they'll fix everything.

How about you back up your nonsense first? Otherwise, this is pointless. Your yearning for an Ireland which never existed helps nobody.

H. H. Asquith

I have you just didnt like my answer. I have shown that home ownership has been in decline since we opened up to multi nationals.

Now reply to my points, Im interested to see if you even think we have crisis issues here

1. How can things have been worse in the past when less than 10% of people lived in private rentals?
    2. Why would someone who doesn't work for a tech multinational or own a home want to support the current economic system. How do I benefit having to work two jobs to rent a studio flat?
    3. How do you maintain high paid tech jobs that are out of synch with the rest of the labour forces income and resolve housing in Dublin

And you ignored the rest. No evidence so this can be dismissed.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

lots of local people from Dublin work in these industries!

And if Google Meta etc moved out, lots of young Dubliners would go with them!

It is not causing harm to develop high skilled, highly paid jobs in Dublin.

Your gripe is with the lack of social and affordable accomodation and that is valid.

But dont blame those that have worked hard to get where they are and earn 6 figures today. It isnt their fault that the govt have failed on social housing delivery.

The more high earners we have, the more robust our economy becomes & the greater our tax take - which benefits us all in the long run.

If the govt built their own social and affordable homes at scale, we wouldnt need to have this conversation in the first place.

There is room for everyone, but there are not homes for everyone.

That's on the Govt, not Marcel from France or Liam from Leitrim that work at Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,250 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ironically, if you had done that Arts degree during your parents time you probably would have been set for life with only that.

• Advertisement

I did a BA in UCD. In any other generation the type of work I do and people like me, teachers, civil servants, middle management etc would have provided a comfortable middle class life. Today it doesn't because the wages of those jobs simply cannot compete with tech and multinational wages.

Yes some Irish people do work in these companies, but they have a large percent of overseas staff. The top courses in CAO points for Irish people are and have been for years Arts, Law, Business.

If everyone was benefitting from the current economic set up we would not have SF on 35% and 50% among under 35s. And Im not a SF bot, I dont think they will do a lot really but they may result in a raise in corporation tax and exodus of big tech leading to low immigration and a lower population making housing affordable. This economy is not working, I cant own a home in Dublin, hundreds of thousands cant, we want to see Rome burn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

We have probably the most equal economy in Europe with a progressive tax system.

The top 10% pay 30% of income tax.

As for the arts graduates like myself, poor us for being forced into high paying jobs with benefits. I rarely look at my job and think "wow, I'd rather be out digging for pottery in a Westmeath field in the p*ssing rain"

I hate to break it to you, but the problem is not those who earn more than you. It's a government who has implemented a system where the cost of housing is multiples of the average wage.

By all means vote for SF, I think a change is needed, but this crisis is going nowhere fast.

How can we be equal if home ownership is collapsing and people are living at home. Progressive tax means nothing if housing means actual disposable income and living standards are screwed

Home ownership is not collapsing. Every new house built has a buyer lined up.

Reported by RTE

"Volumes and values rose by 22.8% and 26.7%, respectively, year-on-year in July 2023, the fifth successive month in which FTB mortgage approvals have risen in year-on-year terms."

"This sustained growth meant that almost 30,000 FTB mortgages (29,754) valued at nearly €8.4 billion (€8,365 million) were approved in the twelve months ending July 2023, the highest annualised levels since the data series began."

If an extra 20k houses were built then an extra 20k would be sold.

It went from 80% in 2004 to 68% in 2021. In 2004 50% of 30 year olds owned a home, now its less than 1/4. The article in question is about the collapse in home ownership since now people are living at home or private renting.

This is a country that didn't have a private rental market (outside students and people in year 1 or 2 of jobs) until the last 20 years. We consider renting dead money in this country and stigmatise renters. I have to life with that, do you not consider someone working full time renting a victim of the housing crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

During the boom I would suggest it was mainly PS workers and those involved in the property sector who were best able to buy a property. It was rubbish working in tech at that time.

Everyone was buying, tech salaries just didn't get out of synch with normal roles back then. Think of what its like for someone earning 40 - 50k today, which is a totally average salary for white collar roles.

One of the main reasons everyone could buy was no deposit mortgages of 5 and 6 times income. Now most are locked out as they need 30, 40 or 50k in a deposit

I'm not arguing with your source. I'm arguing with your solution. It doesn't make sense and just stinks of jealousy toward those who earn more and are pricing you out of the market.

Income inequality is not the reason you can't buy a house, it's undersupply.

Your only solution is to earn more money or wait for more supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

We had a property crash that bankrupt the country, resulted in 16% unemployment and the need to bring the IMF in. But, yes, it would have been easier for people like you who wouldn't make the sacrifice required to build up the fairly small deposit of 30-50k.

• Advertisement

Its two fold. We need to build more houses and high rises. Now at the moment thanks to lending rules starter homes don't have a place in the market. The amount people can get on average incomes is less than the cost of building. So we have two options, do what we did in the past, remove the lending restrictions and you will see a boom in the building of 1 and 2 bed apartments since people can buy them. Apartments today are built to rent and the homes to buy are large houses selling for 400k+.

We need to have homes for middle income workers, we could do that through the state building cost rentals (that need to be guaranteed to remain with the renter when they retire and cannot pay the rents anymore).

If the multinationals leave then immigrants leave and that will create a surplus of supply. That would also fix the problem as happened between 2008 and 2013.

Advertisement