Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life passing by people in their 30s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Most people dont want to see the economy tank. As i said before, the problem is a lack of housing not an abundance of good jobs.

SF wont make any difference on either count and they almost certianly wont get into power anyway, as they will need FF to prop them up and form a govt.

So even if they did grt in, FF would still steer the ship.

My advice to you would be to upskill. The jobs are there for the taking if you do the training.

Its a better strategy than shaking your fist at the microsoft cloud.

I have a masters, Im skilled. Im just not in tech. I hate maths, my interests are in writing and creative work.

THIS IS THE ISSUE - the economy does not work for most young people, and your answer is for everyone to "upskill" into stem. You know working class people will always exist and need a decent standard of living. Are you blind to the reality of the country? With an argument like that you are ignoring the content of the original article. Its like telling the people in the tenements in 1913 to upskill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I saved a deposit over 9 years while paying rent. It makes no difference to anyone other than you whether you buy, oh and also your lovely family members who look down on you and call rent "dead money". Most people, even working average jobs, if they put their minds to it will be able to save a deposit and buy something. There will be a significant cohort, like yourself, who will blame everyone else, the system etc and will never manage it. There is no political party going to come in and sort you out unfortunately, if SF get it in it will be more of the same, might be a bit more social for the unemployed at the expense of first time buyers, but that will be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you looked into the various schemes such as help to buy or shared ownership?

Help to buy can provide 5-10% towards a deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Lad, you're embarrassing yourself.

It's the multinationals, it's the immigrants, it's the tech workers, it's the government, its everyone but you.

You can either focus on the big picture stuff that you can't change, or focus on yourself, and bettering your own circumstances.

Im working two jobs and saving all I can. But if you think I should have to do this for 9 years, then we can end this conversation. Im the youngest in my family and my siblings had homes in the tiger by their mid 20s. That was the norm then. Everyone I work with and all my social circle are in similar situations, except those with rich parents getting deposits paid for. But ok, if you think its acceptable to spend the peak years of your life on hold saving for years and years to scrape a deposit then we should end this here. You are the problem. You don't believe people earning less than you should have a good quality of living.

Don't be surprised when the electorate goes more and more anti establishment with views like yours. Your attitude towards working class people is what caused Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

It would be great to see all these companies gone.

Just imagine= Tax take would be down. Unemployment up. Social welfare rates slashed. Public sector wages cut. That would be just great to see. THEN WE WOULD ALL BE BROKE

Help to buy is only on new homes. So in Dublin you need to be a couple as a single income comes no where near meeting the requirements with the lending rules. Even with the help the difference Id need is greater than what what Id need for a 1 bed in Dublin, which is in the region of 40 - 50K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It's called delayed gratification. It shouldn't take 9 years, I had a lot more than 50k saved in that time. Ultimately it makes no difference to anyone but you really. I would say that it was worth it for me. Then again I never had the dependency mentality that you seem to have.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There is also the first homes scheme and a few others you should look into

You dont have to buy a home in Dublin. You could move further out as others suggested. Or you could continue to rent as you do now.

Not everyone can afford to live in Ballsbridge. So they dont. You have to find your own price point, just like everyone else does.

If the govt does build more homes, then prices will come down. But until then, they wont come down.

Thats just how it is.

Better to direct your energies into earning more or saving for a deposit, because otherwise you will just eat yourself up with frustration.

The housing situation will not change, regardless of what you think about it.

So better to swim with the tide than against it.

Then I will need to look at emigration it seems if you are right. Most people are not like right wing boards posters, most people care about working class people having a place to live

But I'll humour this. Who works in the hundreds of thousands of jobs in Dublin that wont buy a home in Dublin if people cant buy homes in Dublin? Like all restaurants, bars, nurses, teachers, cleaners, taxi drivers, bus drivers, admin, even the majority of people in sales, accounts, client facing office roles, HR etc etc etc. If these people cannot buy who does the jobs? Replace the working class with immigrants living in bunk beds?

The first house scheme gives additional money if you get rejected by a bank. You still need the deposit, its more money than the standard mortgage, I think 4.5 instead of 4 times. A 1 bed in Dublin starts around 180k, but really your looking at a bare minimum of 200k. And thats Clondalkin, Finglas etc. 1 beds require a 20% deposit unlike 2+ beds considered a family home at 10%. So you cannot get around the need to save 40k+ to cover the deposit and fees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Plenty of Irish people work for multinationals... So you'd be putting Irish people out of work. The issue is first and foremost supply. Driving people out of Ireland is gonna make the country less appealing for both Irish people and immigrants. And frankly, plenty of those immigrants have contributed plenty to the Irish economy so pretty atrocious to want to drive people out with established lives.

In relation to the rental situation that's a separate issue but there is most definitely not a stigma against renters.

I'm starting to think you are just looking for excuses tbh

If you were to use first home to buy a new apartment 2 bed for 250k and got 30% that would mean a mortgage of 175 that you'd need a deposit of 17.5 k for

I have looked into that. Dublin doesn't have new builds for 250k. It would be midlands, Wexford or Louth so non runner as Im not leaving Dublin. Id sooner emigrate to a British city.

Plenty of people rent and house share. If you think Dublin is tough, you want to try and buy a property in London.

And London is 6 times the size of Dublin and is more expensive. People have the same problem there also but they sacrifice the home ownership to live in the capital. Thats the trade off.

The govt should build more social and affordable homes. I have said that from the start and dont disagree with you on that point.

But I wouldn't bank on it happening.

So if you feel its home ownership in Dublin or emigrate. You probably need to look at emigrating.

Otherwise youll be having this same conversation in 5 yrs time and I am not sure that is a good thing for your mental health.

I'm already taking medication for anxiety and seen a therapist because of this issue.

I lived in London previous and rented, would do it again. I have cousins renting abroad, no one calls them dead money. People seem to only call you dead money when you live in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Well my thirty's was a blur anyway.

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

Sorry to hear that.

But I think it also justifies the point.

Life is short. Dont wait around hoping things will change if it is making you bitter.

They may never change.

But you can do choose a different path. One that makes you happy.

I love my job, I like the place I rent in. If renting was not shamed and I wouldn't end up homeless in old age for renting Id have no issue. But in Ireland renters are called dead money and looked down on. I wish we had the German attitude but we dont.

And thats why so many are living at home, most in their 30s could afford to rent but dont because their families tell then renting is stupid.

I dont think people look down on renters at all. Thats maybe a perception you have.

I personally have full respect for anyone that pays their own way.

But if i am honest, I think renting long term in ireland is risky because you wont be able to afford it when you retire.

If people can live at home and save for a deposit, i think thats a smart move. A sacrifice, sure. But it will pay off if it gets someone on the housing ownership ladder.

I dont think People don't call renters dead money.

Some people refer to paying rent as dead money. Dead because if you can pay a mortgage instead your paying off an asset But, if you have to rent, then rent.

I don't see my neighbour as any less because he rents and I own.

Thats why Im scared, anxious and feel looked down on. Renting are despised enough to be made homeless in old age despite working and paying all their lives. I also cant see how people would not see how offensive it is to say your not good enough for the place your from and need to move out to isolated commuter towns despite working hard and playing by the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Jayaus Billy If you got paid by the post you'd have a gaff in no time.

I couldn't ive where I wanted. I moved 90kms from where I would prefer to be. I live 45 mins from work. 20 years later, where I live now is where I consider home.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

Bn redaing throgh ths thred this evnnin. Hadd a drnik evry tim "deadd mney" wsa mentind, I thnk I wl nedd to call in sic tommorow with the hangover.

• Advertisement

Nobody is looking down on you. Thats a perceptiom you have but it isn't true.

You are paying your own way, so full respect.

You are also wise to look to the future.

Areas that do well economically rise in price because people want to live there. That has happened with Dublin. It happens all over the world. It will continue to happen.

Thats why I say you should probably look at purchasing outside Dublin, unless there is someway you can get housing assistance to buy.

Worth pursing with local authority at least, although posters on here may have relevant advice that I dont have the skillset for.

I think its important you know that you have done nothing wrong here and I hope things work out for you.

Life has a funny way of rewarding those that try and keep trying.

Advertisement