Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World cup 2027. Were do Ireland go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭phog

We just won a Grand Slam with him as a coach, how many coaches are out there with that sort of experience

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

24 nations apparently. Even further reduce the jeopardy for tier 1 nations in the group stages. And even more hammerings to savour.

Maybe they should add on a few extra weeks too. Should be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Increasing to 24 would reduce the duration of the tournament, as they won't need the by-weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Would it not be the same length, just the by-week teams now have someone to play?

I think what I read was that they would have 4 teams per pool, thereby reducing number of pool games per team

• Advertisement

So an additional knock-out round them presumably? Haven’t read up on it so happy to defer.

Yes, with an additional round of 16, but given that each team can play their pool games each week and that the number of teams per pool is one fewer, it ends up one week shorter I think.

That sounds right. It would make it 3 weeks of pool games instead of 5, and 4 weeks of knock-outs instead of 3, so 1 week shorter in total, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Best uncapped XXIII at the moment?

1. Michael Milne
    2. Diarmuid Barron
    3. Jack Aungier
    4. Edwin Edogbo
    5. Niall Murray
    6. David McCann
    7. John Hodnett
    8. James Culhane
    9. Nathan Doak
    10. Sam Prendergast
    11. Diarmuid Kilgallen
    12. Jamie Osborne
    13. Thomas Farrell
    14. Tommy O'Brien
    15. Stewart Moore
    16. John McKee
    17. Denis Buckley
    18. Roman Salanoa
    19. Thomas Ahern
    20. Alex Kendellen
    21. Paddy Patterson
    22. J.J. Hanrahan
    23. Ethan McIlroy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I quite like the idea of 6 groups of 4 and an extra knockout round. Sure the group stage will be a breeze for the top 10 sides but the extra jeopardy of a round of 16 will make things interesting.

Perhaps the last 16 seedings could be decided like Europe used to be. I.e. the team with the best result from the pool stage is No.1 seed and the team with the worst that qualifies is No.16 and No.1 plays No.16 with the winners playing the winners of No.8 v No.9 in the quarter finals and so on. That way teams would have some extra to play for in the group stages to get rhe best seeding possible even if they have qualified comfortably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Would give Ireland a great chance of finally winning a knock out game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Shehal

World Rugby need to find a way of getting 2 of France,SA or NZL in the pool next to ours to ensure we are playing a top nation in a QF!

Yeah I quite like the sound of it too.

The round of 16 would also increase the competition between teams that don't qualify 1st or 2nd in the pools, given that 4 of the 6 that come 3rd in their pools would be through to knock-out rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’d have gleeson over culhane on that list. I might move culhane to 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I’d probably have forde from Connacht in at 12, Frisch at 13 and Osborne at 15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Stewart Moore is currently comfortably better than Forde, as is Postlethwaite.

Probably have a biased against ulster as I think they’re on a big downward path but Postlewaite for sure isn’t anywhere near Forde. How many senior appearances does he even have?

Moore is probably better at the minute in fairness but forde has more potential. Would be curios to know how much you’ve watched Connacht?

Yeah, in fairness, Postlethwaite is a stretch - you're right to call me on that.

I watch some Connacht games. Forde has been impressive, but Moore is better, I think, whatever about the slippery idea of "potential".

Completely agree with Ulster being on a downward path, but Moore was superb before Dwayne Peel and Payne left - don't think Forde has put together a run of games like Stewart Moore did a season or two ago (when he would have been the age Forde is now).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Surely we will finally win a knock out game if it moves to a last 16 stage!

The less group games the better and a small group of 4 also. At least more teams qualifying for the knock-outs will mean less nothing games in the group stages and something to aim for.

The current 4 x 5 group format is just daft. At least 3 teams in the group are just canon fodder for the big nations to practice on.

• Advertisement

I’d argue that Forde was vital to Connacht turning their season around after Christmas last year, while Bundee was with Ireland.

I’d also argue that he’s better suited to irelands needs and wants from a 12 than Moore is, hence the potential term being used. Forde can do the battering ram bits that Bundee and McCloskey do but also has brilliant hands as he was an outhalf up until u20s. Also a work horse defensively.

I could see Moore being involved with squads in the future but more as a utility back and there is a lot of competition for that sort of role

Fair enough. You're probably right about the battering ram bit, but I'd say Moore is more skilful and elusive, and simply started featuring at FB as McFarland was determined to get him on the pitch when McCloskey was available.

Either way, centre is going to be an interesting battleground in the future for Ireland. I'm less convinced than others that Ringrose will be as comfortably first choice in the next three/four years,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm less convinced than others that Ringrose will be as comfortably first choice in the next three/four years

Why?

He's still very much the lynchpin of our defence and an excellent strike runner. I would like if he passed a bit more, but I can't see anyone else on the radar even remotely at his level. There is a reason it's never been 2 from Ringrose/Henshaw/Aki when all fit, it's always been one from Henshaw/Aki and Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Greengrass53

It's way too long with far too many meaningless matches. 1 month is enough just like the soccer WC

The simplest thing to say is just that three/four years is a long time.

People are very excited about a number of young backs in terms of their raw ability, Leinster are getting a new head coach, and the Irish gameplan will have to evolve (and I'd say will change very quickly if Catt is gone.) Every one of those factors will influence Ringrose's hold on the 13 jersey, aside from his own form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Given his age we should definitely be trying some new 13s in this cycle. It's probably one of the jerseys that we've "under-shared" in the last while. GR is clearly excellent, and when everyone's on form and fit he's our best. But then if he's on a bit of a dip, or has a small injury, he still gets backed because of his experience.

The fear is that we over-value the experience meaning his standards slide that little bit too far, and we miss opportunities to grow someone else into the position.

Off the top of my head I'd be looking at Hume, Osbourne, Frisch and Sean O'Brien(the ex-connacht, now at Munster one) to pick up some meaningful minutes in the next year or two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He'll be 32 in 2027? That's fine.

I'm sure other players will get chances over the next cycle, don't get me wrong. I don't really doubt Farrell's ability to be ruthless in selection either. I just think that today he is easily the frontrunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Yeah I don't think he'll be retired or out of the picture or anything. I just think that he's more likely to be picking up niggles (I know I am) and the likes. He'll probably lose a small amount of pace over the course of a game too.

And he is still the front runner. I'd just like to see him benched for some meaningful games so that we have the potential for a meaningful choice going forward. I'm thinking Italy and either Wales or Scotland during the 6N and something during the Summer.

I'd be putting them along side Bundee or Henshaw though, so not a full 2nds team or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Osbourne will put pressure on Ringrose. Ringrose is not done by any means and still is only 28. Ringrose does have a fairly long injury list over the years.

Cathal Forde has been great everytime I've seen him. A very talented youngster. Moore is very talented too but he needs to put pressure on McCloskey.

If Catt is leaving who comes in? I'd look at R.O.G and Pivac. Rennie would be worth a look, as would Townsend. I doubt any of the domestic coaches would get the job. Farrell will have his say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

ROG doesnt appear to have any interest in coming back to any role in ireland any time sooq.

Advertisement