Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World cup 2027. Were do Ireland go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

It's always going to be hard for us to have the depth that France England and even SA may have due to population and player numbers but I actually thought several players did well when they came on. JOB for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We are in a very good spot. 2 u20 grand slams and a couple of very competitive other u20 sides. No one bar France have as much up and coming talent as we do, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

It's funny how people do complete 180s we beat SA in a game we could have lost. Again it was very small margins if they had kicked better for example. Now we lost a close game which we could have won but for small margins and now we need to change our entire approch. There's 4 teams very little between them two were always going to go out. Sadly it was us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I was at that AB XV game. Coombes wasn't alone in being bossed around. He'll definitely have a chance too to push on and make the leap up to seasoned international.

But, the beauty of sport is that there are always unknowns. Who would have thought, in 2019, that Keenan would be our nailed on FB for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭phog

Didn't Barron outpace him in the semi final or have I him mixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Shehal

I dont know but I am fairly confident it wasnt TOB outpaced, TOB is reportedly the fastest player at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭phog

How many O'Brien's played in the backs that day, he certainly outpaced one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Shehal

Was it the SF that this happened? I might go back and check as my mind is fuzzy, I highly doubt it was TOB though!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Who are the outstanding prospects from those teams? Nathan Doak, Sam Prendergast, Jamie Osbourne, Alex Kendellen, Brian Gleeson… others? Could definitely do with a prop or 2 or 3 coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

On the fly half comment.. Crowley is very talented/promising, make him the man and we’ll be in good hands. I hope we get to a situation soon where it’s Crowley starting with Sam Prendergast on the bench if he can get enough game time with Leinster.

Also if we were to try to get someone from the Southern hemisphere it would be 5 years before they are qualified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd add James Culhane to that list. He won Player of the Tournament in Ireland's u20 Grand Slam win. Missed most of the last season through illness/injury, but is already capped by Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Loads of talented players from the last 3 or 4 U20 sides going back to 2020 that are close to making a breakthrough. Last years U20s side was the best of the lot but those guys are only starting their provincial journeys now. Let's see how they go.

The next 4 year cycle starts next weekend with the URC!

I think Paddy McCarthy is a good prospect. Along with Boyle. Rudhan Quinn is another along with McNabney.

Serious prospects. The future is bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’m one of those people who basically believe that everything in rugby is predicated on how you want to play, and then you build a team to that model.

So, it will be interesting. I think we could absolutely play the way we play now and basically replace guys with guys who already play that way.

McCarthy is a bit of an anomaly to me. He doesn’t really fit the way we play now. Or, to put it another way, he’s more of a prendergast style heavy lock than a lancaster style lock. We do have young players coming through who could really suit that though. Gleeson and Quinn are heavy ball carriers. The other McCarthy looked like he’d really fit that as well. in terms of in the squad already, Crowley, Casey, Baird, Hanson all stand out as really fitting a more possession style. However, it probably doesn’t fit probably our best younger back (ringrose). He would be an amazing winger in that style though.

It will he interesting. I would guess that they will double down again and guys who are similar to guys leaving style wise will replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭crusd

Its times like these when the clueless reveal themselves. Josh Van der Flier whose grandfather moved here from the Netherlands in the 1950's I presume you mean?

I think Leinster need to be told to release at least one of Ross Byrne, Harry Byrne or Frawley. Prendergast is a massive talent. But when the immediacy of winning games is the priority his opportunities may be curtailed in the short term. Dont want to be here in 4 years time with him only having gotten 20-30 games. Hopefully Crowley kicks on, but we need depth.

Leinster would be reluctant to do that. I can see Tector moving. I am really high on him. He's more of a hard charging type of fly half.

I wouldn't write HB's international career off just yet. He's very talented and if not for injury, who knows where he'd be at.

Ulster definitely could use a fly half. Unless Flannery steps up and takes the jersey from Burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ever since seeing him in the under 20's I've wanted Prendergast in Connacht, far more likely to get real game time in the west and with his brother already in the squad it should be an easy move for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I hope we see more emerging Ireland tours and ireland a matches set up. The more players exposed to to international coaches the better.

• Advertisement

Definitely see Harry Byrne as still having potential. They all wont get gametime at Leinster however. I would suggest Frawley to Ulster and let Ross Byrne move abroad as he will be 32 at the next world cup and is pretty much at his ceiling.

Thing is right now, Ross is very valuable to Leinster with j10 retired. I can't see him going anywhere. He's still only 28. He's got many years left.

We have got to accept a bit of short term pain. There are a queue of potential 10's coming through. Byrne is a good sub elite 10. If we want to give the opportunity for younger 10's to potentially develop to elite we need to make the room. It would be different if there was a dearth of quality 10's at Leinster.

Silverware is all that matters. Ross will get the 1st lash.

Needs to be moved on at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭boetstark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i think we lost alot of shape in attack when MH went off too, if he had stayed fit it could have been different but ifs and buts could drive you insane

and tbh its not really great to be relying on your right wing to be driving the creativity of your backline

does lowe start dropping out of the squad now too? he'll be 35 at the next rwc and he was never the fastest anyway so a replacement probably needs to be found

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Who are the up and coming prospects across the provinces?

From a Connacht point of view Kilgallen looks to have serious potential and Smith has impressed in preseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

The world cup is the pinnacle of rugby and if we want to progress sacrifices will have to be made. Those 6N and Autumn internationals should be used as a stepping stone to build a proper squad to challenge otherwise whats the point? All that matters to those southern hemisphere teams is winning the world cup so are we content with winning 6N tournaments or do we want to win the big one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Yeah agree. To hell with the six nations at this point, we've done it and bought the t shirt ... or as a balance you blood the new players against Italy and the likes of maybe Scotland Wales etc after 50 mins if it looks like you're going to win anyway or bonus point already secured...

The other issue is, if we just throw short term results out the window for long term gain, we can slip down the seedings . That's an issue... we need to be top four when the next draw is made to give us best possible chance. As we have really found out, you nearly need every rub of the green going for you when the margins are this tight...

Advertisement