Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World cup 2027. Were do Ireland go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Where do they go?

Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Carbery away to France last season.

We had a lot of attempts at succession planning. Loads of guys were given opportunities and some across a period of time but never really grabbed it. Carbery has almost 40 caps. Ross Byrne has 22. Madigan has 30. Even Carty and Burns have 11 and 7 caps respectively.

Paddy Jackson has 25 and really was the one that was expected to be the successor to Sexton but that was taken out of the selectors hands.

The coaching team have made concentrated efforts to give significant game time and opportunities to other players over the last 6-8 years. The above pool of players have started games against every other tier one nation aside from New Zealand and Carbery had significant game time against them (over 50 minutes in one game) last summer. At some point, we just have to accept that they're not delivering and move on.

Hopefully Crowley establishes himself now as a top level test player. He's had a significant amount of investment over the past year already so hopefully he's ready for starting bigger games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Augme

They were in Joey Carberry and then he's dumped just before a world cup. I can't see the logic in that myself. Even at that, he started against France due to an injury to Sexton. I never got the impression from the management team that there was a serous effort to not just put all of our eggs in the Sexton basket.

They haven't, but relying on a 38year old outhalf to bang out 80 minutes every week isn't going to get a team very far either.

I'm not sure it's a case of whether they grabbed it or not, it's more of have these players been fully developed and prepapred to play at their highest level possible if called upon? That's the bare minimum of what you want and would expect going into a world cup.

The argument about having to accept they aren't good enough and move on is fair, but the flip side is that you also have to accept that a team going to a world cup need a second string outhalf, and That second string outhalf is going to probably need to play some minuted. Especially when you're first choice out half is 38.

I just got the impression the Irish management team never face up to that reality when you look at how they've approach the position over the last 24 months or so.

Hopefully he does take over, but also hopefully there's a serious effort to have two players at outhalf who are battled hardened come the 2027 World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Jackson totally fucked the planning at OH, it was basically a complete reset when all that mess happened. Probably ruined Carbery as a secondary consequence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If Ireland are a top seed then they will go to a semi final

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They were in Joey Carberry and then he's dumped just before a world cup. I can't see the logic in that myself.

He wasn't good enough. It's really not that complicated. But he is the perfect example of the fact that simply giving someone more and more gametime doesn't necessarily make them any better.

Crowley has been identified as an option but realistically he was never going to get into the international picture any earlier. He was pulled from relative obscurity as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I can see massive benefits for leinster if furlong continues to decline. For ireland, it would put a lot of chips on a mccarthy/boyle/milne bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

More I think about it the more I dislike the idea of Porter moving back to tight head

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Are we bored of six nations? Won so many they are meaningless now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭El Vino

I think the Where Ireland go from here depends on where Leinster go from here. If Nienaber changes the playing style significantly Ireland may have to follow suit. Leinster are likely to be the bulk suppliers to the team for the foreseeable future to use a Thornleyisim, they have also come slightly unstuck at the business end of the season in the last couple of years so they will probably have to make some changes which inevitably feed through to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Nonsense. We can't approach this like that because the two levels are not the same especially at a world cup.

Leinster changing should have zero impact on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It's been a while since I watched Leinster play, but from memory they and Ireland played differently anyway, so I'm not sure Nienabaer will make that much difference.

Ireland's game will evolve anyway. I suggest a new coaching appointment, either before the 6Ns or before 24/25 would be a sensible move just to add a bit of freshness. Not sure where or who you'd move on. Someone may move on through choice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’d say they have diverged over the last year but the roles within the system are pretty similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I hate to say it but you’d have to look at Paul O Connell and how the lineouts misfired at the World Cup. It was an issue in the warm ups and wasnt corrected. Would keep the current team up until the lions tour, assume there will be movement then if things don’t improve

I think the worrying thing about the lineout as that the evidence would suggest it wasn't a personnel issue. It didn't matter if it was Sheehan, Kelleher or Herring throwing or Ryan or Henderson calling the lineout. There were issues in all combinations. And the players names above have all been part of excellent lineouts in the past.

I would back Paulie to go away and fix it, but yeah if the same issues still exist in the 6Ns you'd have to wonder where we go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Sadly, I don't know why you'd back POC to fix it. I mean, we were at the RWC. He had unfettered access to the forwards, and no distractions on the horizon. He had, as you point out, excellent players on hand that were proven and had delivered countless times.

If he's not going to fix it over whatever - six weeks? - under those circumstances, I have no faith he'll fix it for November,

I'd back him because he has also been coach when the lineout has functioned well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

If he can turn it around, i'd rather he'd done it in France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭ersatz

Granted the team will probably look a lot different come 2027 but that performance on Saturday was straight out of the top drawer and would have produced a victory against most teams on most days, even the All Blacks. We made some mistakes that cost more than the mistakes they made and honestly they adapted their game to ours more successfully. That's one thing about our team and our coaches, I'm not sure how much we ever adapt to different teams and adjust our tactics. The mantra seems to be 'we go out and play our own game and don't worry about the opposition'. sure we adapt defensively but I'm not sure we are the kind of team that are capable of big tactical adaptation to meet particular opposition in the way both SA and NZ do. In hindsight this match reminds me of Landsdowne in 2013 and going down at the death to the ABs. A few years later we beat them finally and then didn't look back until Saturday. Maybe that mental thing lifts in the same way in terms of world cups.

Dont disgree, there will be scrutiny on the lineout and by extension Paulie in the 6Ns, it definitely needs to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Paulie has not done the job. I'd be surprised if he's kept on. Line out has been a weakness all year.

He was coach when it was running well so should be given a chance to fix things. it has had issues for a while but he should be allowed try fix them. if you remove him who do you replace him with?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I have no idea who'd replace him. It's frustrating watching the line out, it's like playing bingo! Maybe he stays, who knows. I'd say if the line out was a strength we'd have won last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

you would question, when farrell resigns or is fired. Does it make sense to get a coach, who has actually won the RWC...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That is a question for 2-4 years from now.

Also given the availability of world cup winning coaches I'd probably say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Paul has to go, no extra time to get it right again, the bloody world cup was the time for it to work not when we are hammering Italy in the six nations, we need to be ruthless with our coaches too, if our set piece was up to scratch we are contesting with a very good chance of winning a world cup final

And he was coach when it was working fine. Who do you repqlace him with if you remove him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Not sure but someone with a proven track record in that area, there must be many out there, Paul is an Irish legend but he is unproven as a line out coach

Advertisement