Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Autumn 2023 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

GFS always comes up with absolutely hysterical low pressures at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well whatever about GFS having monster lows, we go back to the unsettled crap early next week. While previously It looked like staying settled for longer the Atlantic, as usual,had other ideas. Let's hope the rest of October does not stay unsettled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It does look like there could be big storms starting in the last week of October...potential storms starting in about 10 days time on the some charts.. the conditions for big storms are perfect with the strong jetstream and very warm and cold air collided all in the right place ...we have not had that many big storms in autumn recently but it was very common in the past...we will see sure

Post edited by Hooter23 on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking very wet out to +240hrs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The models certainly had a very quick flip from a fairly dry outlook for the second half of October to what is now looking like an absolute deluge second half of October. Today is probably last chance for most people to give their gardens one final cut before the winter.

If this very wet pattern verifies over the next few weeks 2023 is going to finish up a very wet year indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Would that be a named storm I saw that some system had been named Babet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

We'll pass the LTA at my local station in Roches Point by the end of the week. Last year's total will be beaten by tomorrow evening. It all balances out in the end, I have a feeling we'll get some drier spells before the end of the year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 12z going for between 100 and 160mm of rainfall over the next 2 weeks across most parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya wer getting 120mm in Sligo so by month end we'll have nearly as much as July. (That wet month)

Currently only about 30mm so there's plenty of space in the rivers and lakes around here for more than 100mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Could be another winter of flooding all down the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I think it good be as well ,2009 is on my mind and what followed the flooding ,the cold snap in January and February 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭US3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looks a big mess all round in the outlook with weak blocking in higher latitudes and a meridional jet stream over Ireland. Latest runs are not as wet as what has been showing but wouldn't surprise me if we continue to see exceptional wet conditions with this pattern that is giving me November 2009 and November 2019 vibes depending on which model run you're looking at.

Both featured blocking to the NE but in 2019 the jet stream was more southerly tracking and was colder whilst in 2009 it was amplified sending some of the energy northward and southward so was a much milder month. Both brought very wet conditions to different parts of the country with 2009 being more nationwide and of course the infamous floods in Cork whilst 2019 was drier in the northwest and the east was very wet.

I don't want to generate false hopes but this is generally speaking a good position to be in for down the line. Blocking to the NE of Europe perturbs the stratospheric polar vortex from intensifying. It is way too early to be talking about major sudden stratospheric warmings but this is something we want to see repeated again and again for any chance of blocking patterns in early 2024. In the meantime, the same pattern gives the prospects of lots of rain to come. With El Niño, a wet November is a very high chance anyway. There's very few Niño events where November isn't a very wet month.

I find it interesting how the CFSv2 is singing from the same hymn sheet with a vast amount of blocking in an ideal position for perturbing the SPV but Atlantic is rampant with a deep trough that would give lots of rain combined with the warm sea temperatures. A recipe for disaster. The blocking will also result in fronts being slow-moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭crusd

Beginning to take the look of Autumn 2009

Yes, that November started off wet and exceptionally mild and then there was an extreme cold out break towards the end of the month. Was there a Canadian warming back then prior to the cold outbreak?

The extreme cold outbreak was 2010, not 2009. There was a northeasterly though at the end of November 2009 that gave some bad flooding here in the east near a fortnight after the Cork floods. 28th was quite a cold day in the north (though the same day a year later would be record-breaking cold!), think around Monaghan had freezing fog and it wasn't far from ice day conditions?

There was a significant disruption to the stratospheric polar vortex thanks to persistent Ural blocking in November 2009. This would end up becoming the driving force for the major blocking that would give us the cold spell from mid-December 2009 to mid-January 2010 as illustrated by the orange and red colours on the graph below downwelling from the stratosphere down to the trop.

Maybe my recollection is incorrect, but the end of that November and before mid December was cold, maybe not severely cold, but I remember playing soccer in quite cold conditions before mid December. They had a lot of snow in the north East of England to end that November.

That was 2010 also. NE England had a huge fall on 24th Nov 2010, started in Ireland on the 26th. The 2009 cold did not begin until mid-December and the first snowfalls in England occurred on the 16th. November 2009, aside from the colder northerly I mention above, was very mild, extremely wet and snowless.

• Advertisement

Alright. My memory has gone to pot then. I thought the cold spell in 2009 had started earlier, but clearly it didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭crusd

It almost went straight from relentless rain and flooding to -10 in my recollection about the 2nd week of December.

Is it too soon for Christmas Charts? :)

It's not too soon for Lidl and Aldi filling their supermarkets full of Christmas Chocolates already so it's not too early for Christmas Weather Charts!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Just for fun :: Sat 28th on GFS looks it could be exciting if it was to pass.... again it's very far out so usual terms and conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Long way out but certainly something to be keeping an eye on. That would not be good after all the rain and flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

would that be the remnants of Tammy?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

On the current run it looks like some of the energy probably absorbed with another area of Low pressure heading towards us or near us. Will see, many changes to come over the coming days but will see if a trend develops, worth keeping an eye on. Not showing up on the ECM though, wonder will it be on the 12Z when it comes out soon.

Both ECM and GFS keeping the Jet mostly South of us so looks to stay on the cooler side apart from brief milder interludes as fronts go through, looks about average for time of the year I would think. Low Pressures dominant in off the Atlantic giving a fairly wet outlook .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Hows the weather looking for next Sunday??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement