Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Autumn 2023 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm starting to feel fairly certain that at some point over the next decade in either July or August we will finally see at least 1 day of a plume with the +25C isotherm sitting over Ireland. It's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Will it be foggy on the south coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The difference at only +144 is ludicrous!

…. a slight difference between Iceland and Scotland don’t you think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looking very warm for the time of year over the weekend, of course this will depend on sunshine but if it verifies we could have more summer this October than we ever had in July.

Friday.

Saturday:

Sunday:

6 days of 20C+ during the second week of October?? Can't believe i'm posting these charts as we are well onto the road to Winter 2023/2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

Probably a lot of people going to say " if only this was July , we could have had a run at 34C"

But if this comes off , I couldn't give a toss about this occuring in July. Record does not go you are just left with very oppressive and hot weather in a supposedly warm month.

This comes off in October you get 5 days of absolutely glorious weather, that won't half shorten up the late autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

The following weekend will be 10c so we will enjoy. No doubt a warm spell every month of the Winter too such as 17 or 18c in November and 15 or 16c in December. But there's a lot of kinks in the jet stream this year so we could go very mild to very cold on the other side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭squarecircles

looking foward to those mild still evenings in november and december with the last of the blooming flowers,always reminds me of july.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Exactly. There were a few of those comments during the September heatwave. But you have to just take and appreciate the nice weather whenever it comes.

For records to be broken you really need the perfect set-up. Especially in Ireland. Which rarely happens. It's a record for a reason. So it's almost always going to be a case of high temps occurring too early or too late in the season, or not accompanied by the right cloud conditions etc etc. Or occurring after a wet spell when the ground is too moist to really heat the air. I mean how many times have we seen great conditions in the pit of winter? It just is what it is.

What's the record for the longest streak of +20º days in October Sryan?

And what's the overall record out of curiosity?

• Advertisement

2nd-5th October 1959 had 4 consecutive 20C days at both Valentia and Birr. Another one worth a mention is 4 of the first 6 days of October 2013 had 20C+ at Newport, Mayo including the 1st-3rd.

Phoenix Park supposedly had 8 total 20C days in October 1949. Other mentions include Glasnevin had 5 total 20C days in October 1995 and Ashford, Wicklow in October 2011.

Highest October temps on record in Ireland:

25.2C 03 Oct 1908

23.7C 04 Oct 1959

23.3C 01 Oct 1926

23.3C 08 Oct 1995

23.0C 03 Oct 1959

23.0C 10 Oct 1969

The highest this century is 22.3C at Shannon Airport on 1st October 2002 which funnily enough turned out as a cool (and very wet) month. Sligo Airport had 22.0C on 10th October 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

Am I the only one that doesn't want any of these high temps in October?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

The idea of 23C this Saturday, a week into October is crazy to me, and something I personally don't want to experience in 'Autumn'...

I pray this doesn't become a common theme for Octobers in the future, I don't dislike heat, but October in my opinion, certainly is not the time to be feeling like its June, especially with the leaves turning brown 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

You're not alone - I would rather the temperatures weren't so high at this time of year - I'm ready for a 'proper' autumn now!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

Could ye not just be happy with a few more days of nice weather? You're gonna have 7 months of grey dismal weather ahead of you so a few more days of warm sunshine won't hurt.

we’re all entitled to our opinion but I’d rather have the windows open enjoying a balmy breeze all the way from Africa than putting on the heating.

Do you want a northerly in October which is as useless as a northerly in April?

It's getting to the stage now where ya don't even bat an eyelid anymore at temperatures. 20c in October isn't that uncommon and certainly not unusual in 2023. Met Eireanns model on gives 2 to 3 days of 20 plus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

We might as well get some warmth as it's way too early for anything wintry!

Quite often we get cold October's and warm winters. Maybe the opposite this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I always fear a good spell of weather in March-May because it often means we’re going to get a bad summer, but a settled spell in October might just mean an unsettled winter which is totally expected anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I remember sitting on Brighton beach in a tshirt in early November about 10 years ago, so very late heat isn't at all unlikely in this part of the world.

Wel still get a cool October spell after all the heat and more than likely milder weather for November and December though last year December was cold for about a week. The only prolonged cold weather in about the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

First snow of the season appearing on the latest GFS (for next Friday)

Time to open the sneachta thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The GFS? Overstating snow? Never....🤣

It appeared on Monday evening on the pub run actually 🤣

Yup itl go from 23c to 7c in less than a week.

Greenland blocking in October can only mean a big Euro high in winter, that’s the way our climate works, must look up flights to Athens in Jan/Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So the GFS charts I posted a week ago might come to fruition. Lots of Blocking in October probably means there will be none during the heart of winter. That said I have a feeling we are going to have unusually high temperatures at times each month of this winter, though perhaps we might see a swing in temperatures with that as per the latest GFS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I think it’s clear at this stage that all bets are off on how our climate works. The rule book has gone out the window.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement