Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O Connor RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭Tork

I wonder if was it simply the naivety of someone who knew less about America than she thought she did? This happened in the pre-internet era, so how would Sinéad have known what most people do now? Watching them covering this era on the documentary was like observing a car crash in slow motion. I was sketchy about a lot of the details but the reaction in the US was exactly what'd happen now. But with more internet trolling and guns I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 16,425 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I seen Piers Tweet yesterday about Sinéad.

I'm not sure she was still a fan.

"Knew her for 35 years & we had some ferocious spats but also some great Guinness-fuelled make-ups."

As far as I'm aware Sinéad didn't drink alcohol. I doubt he knew her for 35 years either. He began his career in 1988. So he met her straight away? Doubtful.

It's so sad. Complicated grief. I've seen it before 😔 and it's heartbreaking. I always liked sinead...she was hot headed I think 😊 my mother bought 'nothing compares to you' on record and I remember my mam saying how gorgeous she was and as a 7/8 year old I was like 'huh..she's shaved head?'..but later not too long after that I saw the beauty in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bartkingcole

Amazing that country artists in particular loved her and sought her out to work with - Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson (especially) had her back, and she got huge respect from hip hop community.

But Joe Pesci….hang your head in shame. I never saw that before today. Did he ever apologise? Madonna - the hypocrisy…. Sinatra too. Italians backing the Roman church or something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Northernlily

actually yeah Joe Pesci definitely crossed a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Magic Midget

Madonna especially, probably a bit of jealousy, keeping emerging talent down. God knows in mid 80s videos like 'Get into the Groove' she pushed the boundaries on dress, or lack of it. In 1989 Like A Prayer video was criticised by the church.

It wasn't Madonna the good Catholic, it was Madonna being a b*tch keeping Sinead down.

Pesci and Sinatra were misogynistic bullies.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Piers Morgan is a gutter tabloid scumbag making everything about himself as per usual. She was certainly no fan of his and he was the embodiment of everything she stood against.

He was right about a lot of things about her. She was a trail blazer and she was ‘woke’ before the term ever existed. She had compassion and empathy for those who nobody would be compassionate and empathetic towards and time proved her correct multiple times, yet those who sh*t on her back then (Piers Morgan included) continued to do so while taking aim at her mental health.

What a loss. She was a wonderful soul and her family should be so proud of her for helping to make this country a better place for so many when so few wanted to.

If Meghan Merkle died in the morning Piers would say something like 'Myself and Meghan had some confrontations but it was purely banter. Infact I was the first person to change Archie's diper'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

She never much conformed to the image norms of female music stars around her, but if she wanted to dress up in that way she absolutely could blow the likes of Madonna out of the water because of her natural beauty.

I never remember the death of any Irish person being front page news worldwide. Being so prominent. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

George Best death in 2005, Island of Ireland, was big. I know the age of SM has amplified news since.

In a very different world perhaps the death of Michael Collins, or Terence MacSwiney after hunger strike, 1922 and 1920 respectively, made world headlines. DeValera 1975 was a year before I was born. I was 5 in 1981 when Bobby Sands died, I still remember the talk of adults and it was worldwide news.

Yea and at one of her most 'externally' beautiful and just beautiful moments...it's funny cause I haven't seen many people online post it..everyone trying to show how beautiful she was beyond this but this is just it (and also everything else) and really you can see it...it is beautiful and so moving...and noone could ever take that away from her...like no matter what she did..it was an absolute moving feeling that touched anyone who saw it, where we all stood and stand still in time 😊😔

Sinead was behind so much music and involved in film. We all remember In The Name of The Father 1993. She also narrated in Wuthering Heights, 1992, staring Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes. Haunting clip with Sinead, with hair, at the last quarter of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

I'm glad that I will always primarily remember her straightforwardly for her musical gifts. Even now, when I hear… 

I don't know no shame

I feel no pain

I can't see the flame

But I do know Man-din-ka

I do know Man-din-ka

I do know Man-din-ka

I do

It takes me right back. It was exhilarating hearing it for the first time, at the time. It still is.

Apart from that beautiful voice, I associate Sinéad O'Connor not most strongly with protest, but with the role and image of mother. I wonder if from a spiritual point of view, the 'Marian' appealed to her ? I think so when I see her in the head-dress; the relationship with her own mother - it's in her expression in the original video as she sings ''All the flowers that you planted Mama...'; and of course as a mother herself. Just my impressions.

As someone of Sinéad O'Connor's era growing up in Ireland - how about giving it a rest with the 'Ireland was a sh!thole in the 80's - especially for women and children' ? I've heard it more often from people who weren't even born then than I ever did from my mother or grandmothers, and many other women who lived it and not comfortably, who could look back on it wryly awhile not regretting for a moment it's passing, whose day to day existence was blighted not as much by 'The Church' as by by the scourge of alcohol, and who were heroic women.

The 'institutional' Church was an absurd factor in our society, yes. But it was already on the wane by the time JP2 got here in '79. There's a theory that that was precisely the purpose of that visit - to arrest the shift away.

Apart from all other considerations - 56 is far too young.

A beautiful woman, hopefully at peace now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

So Sinead can says whatever she wants and because you don't agree with Pesci....You're not wrong btw. I think we have lost a true talent. Anyone is entitled to their opinion. Sinead gave hers and Pesci gave his. Dragging out a 21 year clip is just laziness. Its SNL !! And now that Pesci clip is all over. Keep your mouth shut Tommy and it'll be yesterdays news. The lionisation is embarassing. The same teacher has been on every radio station since 9am today on every station all day. Probably calling for a state funeral next ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭maebee

Or maybe she had chosen what type of funeral she wanted herself. I would guess that she had done this, because of her state of mind since the passing of her beloved son. My OH of 37 years died last month and he had a beautiful church send off, as was his wish. I've made it known to my family that when my time comes, I don't want this. They know that I want a Humanist ceremony. Let your family know, in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

Sorry for your loss. Thats a long time together. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Seanoc83

Thank you Hellrazer. First time to see this. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,425 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nuacht on RTE1 today/ yesterday at this point closed out with this rendition of a song many of us know from our young primary school going days.

Sinéad O'Connor - Báidín Fheilimí

It was haunting and never has it been sung better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Had to go to bed at an ungodly early hour Wednesday, and thus didn't hear the news of her death until this morning. I can't say I was a fan of hers, in many ways she seemed to squander her gifts.

Sadly, like a lot of people have observed, living a long life never seemed to be on the cards for Sinead. When she sought help, she seemed to pick the wrong people to seek it from (appearing on Dr Phil and Oprah, for example). Or she didn't accept the diagnosis. (I think she stopped taking medication to treat her depression, even denying it was bipolar disorder/ clinical depression. As someone with their own mental health problems, that's a potentially dangerous choice).

There's more and more medical evidence that espouses the view that mental health problems may be passed on genetically, notably in the cases of bipolar disorder, clinical depression, schizophrenia, and other mental illnesses. Looking at Sinead's mother, Sinead's own mental health struggles, and the tragic fate of her son and his own struggles, I'm inclined to agree. Similar pattern. Just from my own research. (An article in the Guardian discusses her son's troubled life).

I remember, sadly, seeing her performance on the late late show, where she was in the burqa, smiling, and singing 'Nothing compares'... and she smiled, and it was at the camera, and I... dunno how to say this, but it didn't seem like a genuine smile. It was the smile that often 'masks' mental health troubles. (One that I've done myself at my lowest). Tubridy was his usual fawning self, about how 'great' the performance was... he missed that. I guess you have to have experienced your own troubles to spot it. Many folks didn't see it.

After her son's passing, and the devastation that that wrought, there seemed to be this sense of the 'inevitable'- cruel as that sounds, but the death of a loved one, especially in those circumstances. It can carry a plethora of emotions. A burden that is thrown upon one.

I think after that, it all seemed like it was going to end one way.

My condolences to her friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Xander10

I've seen Morgan interview her and in fairness his warmth for her came across.

A poster on here stated he often drank pints with her in Goggans Pub, which seems to debunk the story she never drank alcohol.

Her response above to Morgan is quiet immature.

Anyway, don't wish to derail things, again. RIP Sinead.

I reckon Morrissey got it about right with comments about response from so many in the industry that were silent/ambivalent about her beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Field east

Typical RTE.Cheap and lazy radio. Talk is cheap . We know what it does with its finances

. Going on media reports down through the years the late Sinead had a very difficult and complex life but the one constant in her life was her singing/music and which , I think, she enjoyed. It is a pity that she did not keep it up after the sad passing of one of her sons some time ago. Things might have turned out somewhat different if she kept it up . As they say ‘There we go but for the grace of God’. MY she rest in peace. My condolences to the family

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just pointing out that it was still acceptable back then for men to say they'd give a woman a smack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The likes of Pesci and Sinatra egged on destroying her career. Pesci going as far as describing how he would beat her for being mean about the pope. She'd spent eighteen months in a laundry by the point when she'd torn up a photo of the pope. History has also shown us that she was spot on about JPII and the church in general.

So ya, I do think it's beneficial to remember how poorly she was treated at the time and the fact she spoke out was courageous as feck.

On this I think Na Casaidigh, Sibéal's family have the best version.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Were you around in 1992? Believe me, back then only very few knew about the horrors the CC had perpetuated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,629 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

God bless her, she lives a very troubled life

As an artist & a "icon" iv always thought she was ok ,she was very good for a very short period & the praise was way way over the top .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

She never had the momentum, mental capacity or record and industry support to be consistent enough. But the work she did, even stop start, with Jah Wobble, Massive Attack etc was always top tier. And she was great live. Bullshit free zone. 100% of herself given to every performance.

She has 2 absolute classic albums and a load of great work since. Ducking and diving here and there, playing with everyone. Massive global industry respect as a musician.

Loved her last album. Its a real shame they couldn't find a way to keep her busy and working. Thats always the best therapy. Love her little joyous smile at the end here.

• Advertisement

Correct. Pre 1992 there was no general mainstream discussion of church abuse scandals.

Main issues discussed were generally side shows, like in 1988 protests against the film 'The Last Temptation of the Christ' at Irish cinemas.

1992 was a watershed year in many respects. That Spring the X case was big news. Again not directly Church abuse but it served as a step away from Church teaching.

In May the Eamonn Casey fathering a child story broke. Not abuse but as a 16 year old it was a huge moment, showing the men of the cloth weren't infallible and could be hypocritical.

The abuse stories were still to come but the transition from removing the Church from the pedestal began.

As a 16 year old the majority of adults seemed to think Sinead tearing the pope's picture was a bit...mad. A real Irish phenomenon occurred, oh lord what will they think of us in America!! Those who actively stood by Sinead in October 1992 were a minority. But a bit like those present in the GPO many are claiming they were on board much earlier than they actually were.

Advertisement