Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O Connor RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Agree. Maybe do the Islamic funeral and follow all the traditions they have as she would want.

Then have a public farewell ceremony maybe at the Spire ?? Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I remember when we were afraid to look at her tearing up the picture of the pope at the time in case we'd all burn in hell from seeing it. And it was like, yeah, she's right, the whole thing stinks.

I think that's when Ireland got its mojo back ... before we all started worshiping property and social media.

I think you need to be an incredibly strong person/artist to do your own thing these days, and survive against the absolute shite that social media, wokeness and the music industry throws your way.

We need to support the real artists out there, like Sinead, and not the watered down fake crap that's everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

To me, she was a bit of a ball of contradictions. To have disdain for the Catholic church because (in part) of their attitude towards women, and then to join the Islamic faith who treat women deplorably is a bit of a head scratcher to me. And the whole media portrayal today is as if in 1992 she was the only one who had the abuse issues in the Catholic church figured out is all a bit lame.

A huge talent nonetheless and I'm sorry for all of us that she's gone - In particular for her family. Rest in Peace.

1 way to make some sort of positivity out of this would be to have a tribute gig - no money Change hands except MAYBE for a charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

What were you doing to highlight it yourself in 92?

• Advertisement

Giving out about it to anyone and everyone. Why?

Well we're going on prime time love American tv tearing up pictures of the pope about ?

Then we'd have to say you were a step down in sinead

Giving out to who? Your mom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Her disdain was for the Catholic hierarchy and organisation, not the religion itself.

You can be a devout Catholic and still be critical of the abuses and cover ups.

If Islam gave her some peace and happiness, then good luck to her.

I loved her. A true artist with a gift, but also authentic and vulnerable.

We've been blessed in Ireland with musicians whose global appeal put us on the map, particularly in the 80s and 90s. Also lots of them are outspoken and do humanitarian work.

Yes I wasn't invited on SNL because I can't sing for ****, or write a song.

What's your point?

Are we supposed to accept that the abuse of the catholic church and the cover ups (including those by Pope JP II when he was Cardinal Wojtyła) weren't known by everyone only for Sinead? That's what the media today are trying to portray.

Rest in Power Sinéad. I had the pleasure of meeting Sinéad once many years ago in Dublin airport. She was lovely.

• Advertisement

no they aren't doing that, the are just applauding the amazing moment that it was, very few like it

like all those who were abused certainly knew

people were still being put in laundries at the time

so the cover up was still in full swing

i doubt you knew much about most of the cover ups, unless you are a priest?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

People might have known about it at some level but it still was not widely discussed. It took another number of years for a seismic shift to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Was never a great fan of hers but my god what beautiful eyes and soul melting smile

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think her funeral can be organised by family and friends. Not sure it matters whether it's Catholic, Islamic, Humanist once her friends and family organise.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It matters for Sinead - She converted to Islam and changed her name etc to a Muslim name.

So sure yes, it will be a full Muslim funeral - the family will show respect in line with her beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

Desperately sad news, especially for her family, freinds and especially her kids.

All she ever done was be herself. Now she can do it peace, beyond the stars.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe she may not have wanted a Muslim funeral. Who knows? I feel like you are taking personal umbrage that she might not have a Muslim funeral. She might. She might not. No big deal.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

But I said do not though. I said it is still sad do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭HazeDoll

I'm busy around the house and I'm listening to some of her music as I go.

I'm finding that some of the songs are really getting to me, taking me by surprise. The impact is particularly profound if I watch her videos. I think the thing that sets her apart is that there was always a guilelessness about her performances. Not a hint of cynicism, nothing calculated about her. Just a sincerity that, today, is heartbreaking.

I always liked Sinead O'Connor's music but I was never a big enough fan that I saw her live or even that I would have mentioned her name if you had asked me what sort of music I liked. Still, I can barely keep it together and the only explanation I can offer is that when you hear her singing you know she meant it, every word. Even if she didn't write the songs, you know she meant it and that's so rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It wasn’t at all meant to come across as harsh. But I can see how it reads.

And I agree that she was very talented..her song delivery and immersion in a song second to none

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

An aspect of the US can be extremely hardcore about religion and I think sometimes Irish people don't fully comprehend just how much so. Ireland's certainly had its historical issues with the Catholic Church, most of it was coercive and involved abuse through powers of institutions and behind closed doors and mafia like behaviour.

The US can be quite the opposite, aggressive fire and brimstone stuff aimed directly at you. I experienced it twice when over there as a student. It's absolutely not everyone or everywhere in the US, but there's an element that would be very much in the utter loopers fringes here. We'd be laughing at them, but the Americans take them very seriously, and even elect them to high office. You have to tread very carefully with religion over there in a way you absolutely haven't had to in Ireland for a very long time.

There was very much an Emperor's New Clothes moment in Ireland where we were suddenly able to see straight thought sham of power that was driven by fear, shame and scary institutions that were in reality paper thin once people stopped taking them seriously.

Sinead was a BIG voice in that and played an important role in showing them for what they were.

Looking back at the 1990s coverage of that ripping up the photograph incident. It looks like Ireland had a few probably long gone rosary-bead clutching types who were briefly shocked, but she was very much right and I think people here at least were seeing through the cloak of respectability, and there was definitely a lot of respect and support for her stance. People started step out from the shadows and become braver. You could see that clearly in the writing and coverage at the time and she certainly was not shunned, she was very much embraced and her profile remained high.

I also got the distinct impression that people were appalled at the way she was treated. We don't like anyone attacking someone who is very much in the tradition of Irish rebels and contrarians and I think in a lot of ways she personified our bizarre and complex relationship with religion and the Church, perhaps one that's not as complex now, but she was channeling it something of an Ireland that was in a state of rapid change and bringing down the house on institutions in a way that was long overdue.

She isn't a celebrity or a pop star, rather she's the very definition of a truly great artist and I think unfortunately she's also someone many of us will only really come to fully (or better) understand after she's gone.

Annasopra - I merely ask you to show some respect towards the deceased beliefs. She CONVERTED to Islam. she even changed her name to an Islamic name.

She was a deeply spiritual person - this meant the world to her.

Please - don’t be so dismissive.

Sinéad was remarkably prescient back in October 1992 when she spoke about the 'evil' of the Roman Catholic Church. At the time, most Irish people had a, 'Ah the poor girl is not right in the head' attitude towards her for tearing up that photo.

All the scandals since, from Brendan Smyth, to Eamon Casey to Michael Cleary to all the senior figures who covered up abuse, to Magdalene laundries to industrial schools to selling Irish babies with their birth mothers names removed to foreign couples, to the dead, unexplained mass graves in Tuam, Bessborough and all the rest.

Sinéad, "the nutcase" was far, far ahead of all the "normal" Irish people. The "mad" one saw what the rest of us - the "normal" ones - did not want to see. The Emperor had no clothes, and Sinéad called it out. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam dílis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrkdWXmvl68

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Very sad for her and her family, but Christ RTE really have no self awareness in these situations, it’s 100% Sinead now, tomorrow, the day after until something else catches the goldfish minds of the rte newsroom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

Do you expect them to report on things that are not happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I think you’ll find that Annasopra explicitly mentioned Islam as one of many options her family can choose from. It’s not dismissive for her to suggest that Sinéad’s family can choose a catholic, Islamic, or humanist funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

It's the nature of the news cycle that things move on, but don't underestimate the reality that here is a serious outpouring of emotion and a need to grieve the loss of basically someone who is one of our greatest bards. There's no other way of describing her.

I quietly ask that you consider the following: Sinead CONVERTED to Islam from Christianity.

from wiki:

In October 2018, O'Connor converted to Islam, calling it "the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian's journey".[150] The ceremony was conducted in Ireland by Sunni Islamic theologian Shaykh Umar Al-Qadri. She also changed her name to Shuhada' Davitt. In a message on Twitter, she thanked fellow Muslims for their support and uploaded a video of herself reciting the adhan, the Islamic call to prayer. She also posted photos of herself wearing a hijab.[151]

People pestered and tormented her all her life.

They tried to tell her “what’s best” for her.

She has sadly passed away.

At least now at this stage will you PLEASE respect her beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

At least now at this stage will you PLEASE respect her beliefs.

Perhaps, I would opine, that it is you who needs to learn how to respect other people’s beliefs.

Advertisement