Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O Connor RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I don't know, why does anyone have a different opinion to anyone else? Why do people disagree? It's almost as if they might have independent thoughts that aren't all synced up. However, I'm not really going to turn a thread about Sinead O'Connor into a discussion about a journalist you happen not to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This ..well said , Cluedo .

As for those who think she spoke a load of bollvcks and did crazy things , she was very damaged from abuse at an early age, spent 18 months in a Magdalene Institution for shoplifting as a teenager , which was a cry for help , which she didn't get until years later .

She never learned to parent from her own mother , and with the chaotic relationships she had with some early partners, she was not given much help there either ( imagine being with John Waters for example🙄) poor choices on her part granted, but that impulsivity would be a feature of many mental illnesses.

Easy to point fingers when you don't understand or have a clue what it was like to be different or speak out about the church or social issues back then , never mind also be a musician and celebrity in the constant public eye.

Most of us took what she said or did as time went on with a wry smile.." Sinéad is on again " but she was usually just saying what others were less able or outspoken enough to voice .

That episode on SNL and her dignified reaction to the backlash afterwards and the fact that since then in America and worldwide, she has been found to be 100% correct in calling out the RCC right to the top, has definitely marked her iconic status everywhere.

The pile on from conservative factions, American media, Catholic Church..

Gaybo, to his credit was always congenial and respectful, and encouraged her and was kind. I think Irish media in general were very positive except for the usual ould naysayers who were controlled by religious dogma.

She was bit extreme but just saying what she believed. And the fact that when she changed her view, she would always come out and say she was wrong before, was endearing .

Her personal search for a religion that suited her obvious need for something greater , was just that , her own personal search .

From what I have heard she gifted money and property to many causes without ever taking any credit or publicity out of it . Crazy , or just generous ? There are numerous stories about her giving money to people on the streets, working quietly in soup kitchens, paying rent arrears etc.

How many of those present singers and stars fleecing the fans for exorbitant ticket prices could you really see doing that?

It was part of her activism which was as much her, as her craft.

I am sorry she died the way she did and wish that people with talent, especially those with mental health issues , were not dissected so viciously by people on social media .

Why do people feel the need to do this to people they don't know?

She was who she was . And primarily she was an amazing singer and talented musician .

And we can certainly say in her case with the utmost sincerity..

Ni bheidh a leithéidí arís ann.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bartkingcole

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TooTired123 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Good post, well written. She was a real force of nature and had a huge personality. Yes, she could be 'difficult' and often fell out with friends and relatives but I sense there was a lot of goodness and compassion in her too. Her interest in religion is not a surprise, she seemed a very spiritual person and to be a deep thinker. Interesting to hear this week that she felt very uncomfortable in the role of 'pop star' in the early 1990s and that it was almost alien to who she was as a person. She saw herself much more as an advocate and an activist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭robwen

I never knew of this, she was on Dr Phil looking for help in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just remembered this one. Lyrics are ..

Don’t argue amongst yourselves because of the loss of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'm sad to see anybody die at 56 but the hyperbole about her is nauseating.

She had a few decent albums and a great voice but I wouldn't rate her as the best or one of the best musicians Ireland ever produced.

She was all over the place religious wise. Catholic priest to Muslim? Give me a break.

She needed to retire from show business but was like a moth to a flame. It did her mental health no good.

What happened to her son was tragic. There should have been a crimminal investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I listened to her pod cast with the women’s podcast today. Sinead said one huge unfairness in how she was treated was by Dr Phil. He stalked her and badgered her until she conversed with him… then he publically said she went to him begging for help. She was used by people from all sides. I’ve no doubt she could be a nightmare to live with to those close to her. This is true in most cases of mental illness. Especially when mental illness help is non existent. The lack of mental health support services make life v difficult for lots of families. I’ve no doubt Sinead was a good person at heart, but she was so badly treated and unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's widely believed now that Dr. Phil guy is a quack and a charlatan. There have been numerous controversies attached to his career and nobody in the field of psychology takes him seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,116 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I only liked her early guitar-based music but that just reflects the limitations of my musical palate. I would have less than zero interest in whatever sean-nos hip-hop stuff she was doing in later years but I have total respect for her ploughing her own furrow and following her muse....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

He’s an egotistical maniac. It’s all about how good he looks when he is pretending to care and fix the damaged person. I got totally turned off him when I saw his wife Robin saying that she builds her day around his needs.. she never misses a show and is cheerleading for him in every audience.. so she works out super early and doesn’t have free time for herself so she can be his greatest cheerleader. It’s all about Dr Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Bobtheman

I'm sad to see anybody die at 56 but the hyperbole about her is nauseating.

Fair enough that you hold that opinion, but have a bit of class and leave it at least 'til after the woman's been buried. Think of it this way - there'll be forever to talk about her life and times in an analytical, unsympathetic fashion. Is it too much to ask to just leave all that aside for a week or two?

She had a few decent albums and a great voice but I wouldn't rate her as the best or one of the best musicians Ireland ever produced.

Your opinion. Between her first two albums, she sold something like 7 million records and won a Grammy. Alanis Morrissette appears to have nicked a lot of O'connor's more aggressive vocal stylings from The Lion and The Cobra when she was cutting Jagged Little Pill, also. So that's sold a lot of records and influenced people, as well as having a lot of respect from her peers in the industry. Not bad. Best? Hard to quantify. I feel like this just boils down to whether you particularly like someone's music or not.

She was all over the place religious wise. Catholic priest to Muslim? Give me a break.

Her ordination as a priest and her conversion to Islam were about 20 years apart. I would say that two decades is pretty ample time to experience some profound shifts in your theology.

She needed to retire from show business but was like a moth to a flame. It did her mental health no good.

To be fair, she did distance herself from show business with her outspokenness in the early 90s and her general refusal to play the game of being a pop starlet. If getting up and singing to a live audience, and writing songs was what she enjoyed doing, then I wonder what it would have done to her if she made herself quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

No surprise there about Dr Phil, he can be a piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

To be fair to Dr Phil, at least he never accused any Sinead’s friends of lying about their friendship, or generated AI images of her friends in order to mock them while they’re grieving.

Nobody is knocking BP Fallon who was a true friend of Sinead's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I always found Dr Phil creepy. I wouldn't trust him one bit.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

She did always say she was a trained Bel Canto singer, and it was evident, and she stands out from the generic formulaic whine-it-out singers you hear now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭batman75

Just watched her last video from two weeks back. She looks well and seems full of hope for the future. Having listened to her two major hits her voice really was superb. As covers go "Nothing Compares 2 U" was fantastic. It made her a global superstar. Hopefully in death she finds the peace that seemed to elude her throughout her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sinead O'Connor Live At Vicar Street - on RTE 1 now

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Magic Midget

• Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Posted elsewhere but jebus that's some endorsement of the type of human being Sinead O'Connor was.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

She also became a Rastafarian.

I posted about Dr Phil, but my comment seems to have been removed. She also popped up on Oprah, round the time she'd been diagnosed (dunno what mental health problem she had been diagnosed with) and put on medication. It may have been a misguided attempt at promotion on her part, or a. Shame someone didn't counsel her that it wasn't a good idea to appear on either show, honestly. (Can't find the Oprah clip, only images from her appearance in 2007).

Dr Phil by that point in 2017 (when she was on the show) was a well known, one could even say dangerous, supposed 'health' professional. He's left his medical license expire, and is no longer a licensed professional. (Due to some American broadcasting laws, you can still call yourself a 'Doctor' even if you're essentially an entertainer).

But look at the creepy stuff that guy has pulled- tried to get inside the mental health facility where Britney Spears was staying when she had her well publicised breakdown. Like it was gonna be this big massive scoop for him. If he was genuine, he'd have allowed her the time she needed to recover. (Never did get that interview either. Twit). And there was that interview with Shelly Duvall, where you can see she's going through some mental health problems.

But that sort of tells you about the desperation of people who go on those shows. And the crappy quality of Mental health services around the world.

And it also tells you how Mental Illness has become both deified and ridiculed. On one hand, being the 'troubled artist' who self medicates is the 'Rock and Roll' ideal, yet we never hear about their desperate search for treatment. Many within the media are trying to 'rewrite' history, saying Sinead was 'loved by all'. They happily piled on the ridicule to sell papers. Or TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I remember the first time I saw her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Anyone see ( or remember) clips of Sinead performing Eurythmics sweet dreams with Kylie Minogue and Natalie Imbruglia on TGIF back around 1998 ? ( Dave Stewart is on guitar)

she completely outshines them as if they weren’t there or were left intimidated by her force

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

I don't see anyone looking intimidated at all.

Sinead did have the nicest smile though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

A friend of mine in the UK said Sinead was beautiful. She used to call her sin ead o Connor as in sin. She didn't understand that the spelling sin had a shin sound.

Advertisement