Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O Connor RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

She'll get the type of funeral her family chooses to organise for her.

Same as anyone else.

I don't know why you're getting your knickers in a twist about it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

the rawness of her emotions and her honesty was something only great artists can display with such courage, & also vulnerability. RIP Sineád.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

8pm on Thursday 10th would be a very appropriate time for a tribute gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Even this close to the tragedy, I didn't truly appreciate her talent until now. Strange how someones death can jolt you into reavaluating them. Obviously there was a lot more than a poxy photo of the pope and a hit single.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Leave me out of it.

Think of Sinead/Shuhada’s wishes and beliefs and proceed accordingly.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

The positions she adopted over her life were often inconsistent. But to be fair there were very few in the public eye prepared to criticise the RCC at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

deeply upsetting, but could be sadly seen coming, this should be another reminder about the tragedy of mental health problems, rip and thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭HazeDoll

I hate myself for getting involved in your ridiculous little spat, but if you're going to be so ostentatiously pious about respecting her wishes you should have called her Shuhada.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nonsheep7

Books of condolences ??? are you serious ??? the media really going to town on her sad passing with away over the top reporting ,deflecting from other issues as usual , a fantastic singer without a doubt with a fabulous voice ,may she Rest In Peace.

Yeah the media will be cringey for sure. Especially Ireland's one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Seven hours and 15 days after her passing.

Clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Very sloppy headline from The Irish Times. I count 4 mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭briany

It may have been that Sinead placed too much faith in the intelligence and critical thinking of the US viewing audience and their news media when she tore up that picture. It may also have just been that she didn't really care what anyone thought but was determined to use her platform to make a statement in any case (she has probably spoken at length in subsequent interviews on what her exact thought process was). Nevertheless, the US news media merrily used the lack of context given to viewers at the time in order to portray her as crazy and rile up the god botherers.

For some reason, I found this celebrity death particularly shocking, even though I was never someone who really listened to her music. Sinead O'Connor and Dolores O'Riordan both gone way too young, while Linda Martin hangs on. This is the world we live in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I put money on every station on the island to play Nothing compares to you at the exact same time this week or on day of her funeral

They done that for Dolores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

You got it in one…RTE (and the rest) just can’t control themselves….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I didn't truly appreciate her talent until now it started trending.

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

Poster has a habit of misnaming people.

Check out the women’s World Cup thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

People are really going overboard about her, just looking on twitter since she's died it's seems she was a hero in the eyes of the Irish public when lets be honest most people in Ireland found her a bit of a dose (as the episode of father ted where they take the piss out of her proves).

Also she wasn't the only person to criticize the catholic church in this country , but based on the past 24 hours you'd think she was a lone crusader in the fight against the church.

Competitive concern/grief really is one of the scourges of the social media age.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Post edited by Annasopra on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Magic Midget

There's an element of that alright. But I think we felt we knew her from Mandinka in 1988 to her son Shane passing. Almost 35 years for many of us. We often have a family member we don't agree with on many things, and at times may have fell out with them, yet the grief is real when they pass.

Our knowledge of mental illness has come a long way from when Fr. Ted was made in the 90s. We'd lable someone odd or a crank 30 - 40 years ago. A bit of a joke, touched. That's changed.

The big thing for me is how Sinead's death is top headlines around the world. So it's not really just us this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair point. She literally changed her name so I’ve amended the post to reflect that. Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

dublincc2 threadbanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

The abuses in the institutions for the Deaf never seem to get a mention yet they're there in the Ryan report alongside the industrial schools / Magdalene laundries. And the report itself doesnt even tell the full and true story.

Abuse is abuse no matter who the victims were.

Well done to Sinèad for highlighting these things. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

She tore up a photo of JP2 and said

“We have confidence in the victory of good over evil.”

Did she elaborate more on that after? The problem in Ireland wasn’t the vatican, they were all home grown and it was at nearly every level in society. There’s no point trying to punt the blame somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

She left a mark that's for sure judging by the outpouring. Legacy intact. Remembered for the beautiful voice and being ahead of time with her campaigning. I guess she was one of them people who bore the weight of the world. Didn't shirk from calling out the injustices and was ridiculed from corners for it.

I guess with her passing there's a sense of guilt aswell, maybe we could have been kinder to her in the past few years. It's incredibly exerting managing people who are mentally ill. A lot of us who have that within our families know that and find it hard to find the energy to share our compassion. It's extremely common in Ireland.

A troubled soul however a great legacy sealed forever. RIP Sinead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭Jeff2

The point was it was the church he represented not the pope himself. As it turned out it was happening in many countries by priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'm counting more mistakes in your post. 😉

"I can count 4 spelling mistakes."

Fixed your post.

Regards to The Irish Times. The 4 mistakes are:

1. Feirce
    2. turnb
    3. tribvute
    4. Sinead

The 4th mistake is a bit pedantic, missing a fada on é.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Magic Midget

People with real moral courage who say what they feel, regardless of being ostracised by contemporaries, are rare.

It's no coincidence that Kris Kristofferson tried to protect and stand with Sinead in 1992. While Pesci and Sinatra, men of lesser calibre jumped in for the kill in 1992.

Kris spoke passionately against the Gulf War in 1990\91. He's a man a values. Johnny Cash was another on the country scene. Sinead always did what she felt was right at the time. Her stances changed and seemed contradictory but I think some of her more volatile behaviour were the result of episodes of poor mental health.

Advertisement