Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭CoBo55

100% They're an arrogant company and compared to ftth their service is terrible. I'll never go back to them I'm so glad I made the move to ftth, there's so much more choice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

one big switch have a deal up with eir 500mb for €34.99 a month and €100 credit, some people like eir and some people don’t up to yourselves

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Nollog

My experience every time, with every provider.

I've been with them on and off over the years and the service has been top class, luckily I've never had billing problems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Pity im with them already and have to move elsewhere or i would go for that.

It will be the usual. "Hello Eir, my contract is up and im moving because your price is going up. I will stay if you keep it at the same price."

"Sorry, no, for new customers only"

"Thanks, goodbye"

"Goodbye"

2 weeks later after ive moved.

"Hello, this is Eir, we have a great deal on if you would like to move back"

"ive already moved now"

"But you can move back"

"fcuk off"

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

And yet lots of people here report that when you cancel they do their best to try and keep your business even if it is on a lower rate but obviously they can afford to do without you. I wonder does it depend on who you get or how well trained they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I wonder does it depend on who you get or how well trained they are.

Very much so. This time last year I called VM to cancel and/or request a better deal - Got some lad on the phone that didn't give a toss - Not exact but it was something like 'I'll give you €7 off for 3 mths'

I was a bit shocked so off I went to do some research and get a 'changing provider' plan in place and make sure I was ready to jump. I rang back a couple of weeks later to cancel and got a lovely girl on the phone that couldn't do enough - Ended up with from €97pm down to €49pm for 9 months and back up to 97 for the remaining 3 mths.

Dunno how that guy is still in a job tbh. Sounds like you got the same bloke - Try again and if you get a bloke, hang up and try again

EDIT - ^ TV and BB

Post edited by Gen.Zhukov on

the way I approached Vodafone was asked the customer service agent how long notice I need to give to terminate my contract, they asked why and bounced me over to the retention team who went through all my details and the packages they could offer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I’m out of contract with Pure on the 18th May, I’m on 500mb package for €35 a month, I rang them this morning to see if they could do anything to keep me for another year. There wasn’t any haggling or anything, I was offered a new 12 month contract for €35 again or €40 for 1gb.

In the 12 months I’ve been with them, their service has been flawless to me. I’m on OpenEir FTTH

That's good to hear I'm just after joining them and they did say not to leave them next year without contacting them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭chonix

Similar situation happened to me last year. I asked why; and that's the best they could do until I got a lovely lady which offered a fairer discount rather than a mere 2%; which was 'the best they could do' (mate)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Yep said the same to me on Friday when I called , here's hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I've been with pure twice and both times they had little interest in a retention offer that wasn't insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭in2dark

Im out of contract in 3 days and they dont reoffer the 35 a month to me. 45 instead …

Wonder how can i get the 35 as indeed their service has been flawless for me

maybe try signing up as a new customer using a partners name or adding an o to a surname

When I called them this morning, I was genuinely expecting to have to haggle to try and get a new offer from them, so I was pleasantly surprised when she said that after my contract was up, she’d re sign me up for another 12 for the €35 a month. I did enquire about the 1GB package and she said I could switch to that for €40 per month. I asked her to leave a note on my account stating that fact and that I’d call back again closer to the 18th May, my end date. She told me there was no need unless I wanted to move to the 1GB package.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭you2008

Called VM on the 18th Apr, ask for the new customer deal 35e, when she just said one word "Unfortunately".. … I stopped her and said okey pls go ahead to cancel it.

Today. someone called me back for 35e/m 12 months contract. took it happy days😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

Sky offering 30 euro per month for 500Mb/s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭in2dark

So i just called them and they told me because i am on siro the best the can offer is 45pm. They said if someone was offered 35 means this someone is not on siro but on the openeir network.

Is it true?

I am on Openeir network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭nhg

Did very well from following this thread, with Sky for over 20 years with a tv, phone & broadband package & then just a phone (which was never used) & broadband package (Superfast + phone) which was €55 for years then went to €60 & then €65 last month… I kept putting the eventual move on the long finger….
    Rang sky last October to try get a better deal but didn’t sign up to any contract or changes as I wasn’t happy to commit to anything with them….

Last Thursday a guy from sky rang me to say that they are discontinuing the package that we are on as it’s the old copper connection etc & they won’t be able to offer the service after end of the year, so I decided it was my one & only shot at a decent deal, the best I could get was   -

OpenEir - Sky Ultrafast Plus 500 - Unlimited - €40 per month for 12 months then €60 per month thereafter - told him I was looking at other options including the OneBigSwitch & he said that he would call me back last Friday. Following the call I signed up with the OneBigSwitch & thought I had requested a call from Pure but heard nothing from them.

Tuesday got a call from someone else in Sky, same story, same offering, told her to call me back in a few days as checking out all of my options. Neither sky representative would give straight simple answers to my basic questions….

Following that call I looked up Pure Telecom again & entered the details, about half hr later got a call from them offering - Pure Telecom - OneBigSwitch - OpenEir - Unlimited - Fritz Box- €30.00    500 mbps x 12 months but went with - €35.00 1Gbs x 12 months. He said that because I mentioned the OneBigSwitch he was able to still offer me the deal they had last week as I explained that I had selected a callback through that option… I asked him to give me a few hours to think about the offer & to call me back which he did this morning so took the chance & signed up with Pure - they will handle the sky change over / cancellation…

Sky said that I I could only have FTTH but Pure said same price for either FTTH or FTTC - just have to see what’s the best options for us when the engineer arrives as I don’t fancy any drilling to the house & all wiring/cables are underground & phone socket is not on an outside wall 🙈

Don’t really mind if I have both systems for a month as I work remotely & can’t be without a broadband service for more than a few hrs otherwise I will have to work from the office…

I just want to thank you all for your information to date plus if anyone missed the OneBigSwitch offer just mention it & you should be still able to get it….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Feck. I asked for the exact same thing. Told the guy I wasn't paying 70 a month when new customers get half that. Best he could do was 35 for 6 months then 70. When I refused he said OK we will cancel you so. End of story. And yet so many people here seem to have managed to get offered better deals. Luck of the draw I guess.

Go for ftth. Your layout sounds exactly like mine. The installer will use the copper phone cable to draw the fibre into the house and then discard the copper cable. You will need a plug socket near the phone socket as he'll put the open Eir unit there and it needs power, it converts the optical signal to a network signal allowing you to connect your router.

This is what was installed in my house. The two phone sockets can be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

Finally some fairly good news and movement! I never got a call back from Pure after the promise of one so called them again on Wednesday. Got through to the very same guy I'd been speaking to the last time (I'd say they have a small enough amount of staff). The minute I said my name and address he remembered me from before and informed me that he'd contacted the ESB and they'd a note on my order that they were having issues bridging a cable to my house and it 'could be 1 to 2 more weeks'. From looking at the setup outside my house it looks to be such a basic install. Visually, from what I could see and a bit of basic research, I just didn't buy it. There are both SIRO and FTTH setups on poles metres from my home. He apologised again for the delay and that it was out of their hands which it was. But, at that stage, I asked could I just cancel my order and I'd go elsewhere.

He asked me to give him until today to get me an install date and if not he'd contact me to cancel my order.

Lo and behold I got a text yesterday morning that ESB works had been completed and I was free to book my installation date FINALLY! They could only give me next Thursday afternoon but I asked to go on a cancellation list as well, as I'm off next week. Fingers crossed it's a simple install now.

Hopefully, have fibre 68 DAYS after I first ordered.

We have the BEST NEWS for you!! 

One Big Switch Exclusive - Ireland’s best value broadband offer with eir is BACK! 💯💯

With this offer you could:

🔥 Get 500Mb fibre broadband for €34.99 a month for 12 months1
    🔥 Plus, One Big Switch members get an €100 bill credit2

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ECookie13

So effectively €26.70 monthly for 12 months, unless I'm missing something with that €100 bill credit.

The only thing putting me off is that its Eir, who are a shower of w*nkers and deliver equipment via Fastway, right?

spent a year with them and had no issues

When things go wrong with any provider it’s a headache but I never have to interact with any of them really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭you2008

Advertisement