Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Got the phone call from Pure, gave them the details hopefully it'll go smoothly. They said it should be within the next 5 to 10 days.

What model Fritzbox are you using? I'd like to go back like the old days and have my own router. It's so difficult to get a nice neat router, they all look like plastic hedgehogs 🫣

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ECookie13

Any chance we can stop clogging this thread up with chat about your Fritzboxes? Its not relevant at all to broadband deals.

I asked one question, hardly clogging up the thread is it? Another poster is having trouble getting his connection sorted since last month, is that bothering you too? I think it's a very informative thread tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭glen123

7530 model. Got it from Airwire when I was with them and they never asked to return it.

It has worked fine for me with Pure, Vodafone, Pure again and now Sky. Pure sent me Huawei routers both times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭spuddy

Are Pure still doing a 30 EUR / month offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Their offer with OBS end this Fridays I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Did anybody have any issues cancelling Pure after the 12 months? I rang them just before the contract ended and I was transferred around the place and given uan. Numbers. They are now claiming I didn't cancel. Also they don't seem capable of following their own complaints procedures.

When changing providers like that I just ring to confirm when my contract ends and the next day move to someone else letting the new provider handle the switch over.

My install is due to be done on Friday, as soon as it's up and running I'll ring them requesting the exact date my contract ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I was out of contract with Eir and they still required the 30 days notice!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭glen123

First time I left them, I sent them an email the day when I switched to the new provider. They replied same day confirming cancellation and advising I didn't need to email them as everything gets automatically cancelled once my connection is moved. This year I didn't bother informing them and switched to Sky. Pure stopped billing me straight away.

D- Day tomorrow, fibre is to be installed, hopefully I get a decent fella. Huawei router arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

Update: Got through to Pure yesterday and as always the agent was A1. He saw the date of the 16th of April for the completion of works on the account. He said the date had been extended to the 22nd of April but still hadn't been completed 🙄. He said he'd get in direct contact with the ESB/siro directly and get back to me on a timeline Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I'm on 44 a month for 500MB broadband Virgin. Says in my contract it goes up to 70 a month after 12 months even though newcomers to Eir are only 35 monthly for same broadband and newcomers to Virgin 40 a month. I'm going to cancel and head to Eir as I'm not paying 840 a year for that. Are Virgin any good at keeping you on the 44 a month when you cancel? I'm.not interested in any other half deals such as 44 for 6 months then 100 for the other half.

I'm going to cancel it next week. Just wondering are peoples experiences that they will just say OK off you go or will they relent if you insist on the same deal, especially given what Eir offer?

My pure connection went live on Friday, 30 a month for 500 meg. VM rang today but I wasn't there to take the call, I won't be going back to them the connection with ftth is so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭savemejebus

You don't specify if you are on ftth, siro or fttc but usually the best advice on anything broadband related seems to be avoid eir. Go to sky, pure, Vodafone or digiweb rather than Eir. Most are doing 500MB for around 30-35 a month for ftth at least

If fairness the Eir BB service itself is top class, the problems start when they botch up either the installation or billing and you have to engage with their customer care…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I used the link in the"Changes To Your Contract" email to cancel two accounts about 2 weeks ago.

I chose the option to cancel contract in 30 days.

First account was with full tv and 250mb broadband (96e) and the second account was the same with full tv and 500mb (104e).

I got a call today and was instantly offered half price for 12 or 24 months on the first account.

I told the rep about the second account and he offered the same.

I asked for the upgrade to 1gb broadband and after putting me on hold he came back with a yes.

The half price offers were for the current prices and not half of the prices with the 4e increase.

How much are you paying now for both plans? 104 for 500meg BB is just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Sorry the 104e was bb and full tv.

So first is now 48e for 250mb bb and full tv and the second is now 52e for 1gb bb and full tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Yeah but the Eir service is the exact same (open eir) service that every ftth provider gives so why risk dealing with Eir when you can get the exact same service (and better equipment) without the risk elsewhere.

True true. I'm very pleased with Pure, up and running in 4 days which includes an engineer install (I had done a good bit myself to have it the way I wanted it)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

That's fantastic service. Where are you living if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Thurles in Co. Tipp.

In Enniscorthy Co. Wexford. It's a fantastic service, the ping times are lightning fast, never going back to VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I have to change at the end of the month. Just went to onebigswitch as i saw a good deal for broadband and i usuall go with whoever is on that when i switch.

But onebigswitch doesnt seem to have a broadband offer anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

one big switch finished last week

Check Vodafone they are doing an offer for €30 for 6 months and €40 for the final 6 months, I rejoined them a year ago and was able to negotiate a deal with them for fibre this year that’s cheaper than I was paying last year, they are really putting effort into customer retention now

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭SharkMX

My contract with Eir is up on 1st June. Im paying €46 a month with them now. Im on holidays for the second half of the the month and first week of June, so wont be at home, but need the broadband up at home over that period. Someone can let them in or even install the router when it comes if need be.

So im not out of contract yet, but if I was to switch tomorrow how much would I have to pay eir? Just the remaining days in the contract? It would still be far cheaper than staying wiht eir if it was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

just what’s left on the contract is what you will have to pay from past experience

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Wow...Virgin didn't even try to keep me. I'm surprised as I read so many posts saying if you ring to cancel they will try very hard to keep your business. I cancelled my 500MB broadband as they were going to charge 70 per month from next week onwards. Told the chap that Sky and Eir are offering the exact same deal for 35 a month. The best he could do was 6 months at that then 6 months at 70 which I'm not willing to.pay, given that Virgins new customers get 35 a month for a year.

Was kind of expecting him to play hardball a bit and then relent and say OK we will give you that deal too but no, he just said sorry you feel that way, here are the terms of your cancellation. This after waiting 30mins to get through! Email was sent shortly after confirming my cancellation. I guess it's better for me as I'm saving by moving to a different network but for people reading this, it's not always the case that an intention to cancel will result in them fighting for your business. Presumably they would rather you gone than get 420 a year from you. Just wanted to post this in the interest of balance.

Advertisement