Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Djokovic only has to play very weak opposition so I won't accept it.

I never liked Sampras but yes I admitted he was superior at the time.

Novak is like those football teams that park the bus.

Also, the fact that at one point 3 players in their mid 30s dominated the slams says it all about the new generation. Hell, they even throw away 2 sets leads. It's beyond belief

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

And yet another channel change 🙄🙄🙄

I suppose at least this one happened to coincide with a game end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Yeah I didn't think that one through.

He's destroying Medvedev here. Another 3-0 coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nole-Alvarez final. Sweet. Hopefully Alvarez doesn’t bottle it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Demolition job at the moment, Medvedev needs to something big and quick, doesn't look in him though.

• Advertisement

Alcaraz is just toying with Medvedev now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The only time I found Djokovic really unlikable was when he went through his phase a few years back of desperately trying to be liked and being friends with the ball boys etc. He's much more enjoyable as hard ass winning machine, him trying to be all nicey nicey didn't really suit him at all.

I also enjoy the fact that the media don't try and force everyone to love him or make out he's not only a great player but an incredible human being as well, they just treat him as a tennis player only make me appreciate him even more.There's nothing worse than the media trying to make you love a person in any sport which they do all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

You'd think djokovic had done something to posters here

I'd say what u see is what u get with djoko

• Advertisement

Exactly. He's not a fake, not a media whore and certainly stands up for what he believes in. Very admirable qualities in a superstar like him. Proper role model.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The hate against Djokovic here is appalling. He is the greatest Tennis player of all time whether he wins on Sunday or not.

Medvedev was awful today against Alcaraz.

Post edited by TheRiverman on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hope Alcaraz beats him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Its incredible what Djokovic is doing in this toughest of individual sports

When he was at the Olympics he was the centre of attention all the Olympic athletes looked up to him

I'm sure he has a few character defects same as anyone

Nole is one greatest athletes in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The results reflect first round matches not semi finals.

Both matches finished in 3 sets! I don't think either Djokovic or Alcaraz were overly pushed.

Alcaraz certainly chases after every ball, each point is important to him.

I thought Djokovic getting the warning and losing a point over noise was an absolute joke , especially considering the noises emitted from the majority of players.

Then Medvedev only getting a slap on the wrist for dropping a second ball on court .

Doesn't make sense, did think fair play to Djokovic for keeping calm and getting on with it, especially when he got a time violation (probably deserved) minutes later!

Sunday will be interesting, Djokovic a slow player and Alcaraz a speedy player.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I’ve said it before about Sinner. He plays too cautiously. He hits straight back to the better opponents, yet is well capable of putting serious angles in with his backhand. He can be 2 sets up and he will completely withdraw into himself.

Tsitsipas and Musetti missed great chances to rock ND’s world in RG 2021 at 2 sets up. Now, he’s playing nobodies. Even Alcaraz handed him the last match in RG.

Reckon Vondrousova will beat Jabeur here.

Better serve and mentally stronger than the more emotional Ons.

2-1 Marketa.

I've nothing against tattoos but Jesus Christ vondrousova looks like she fell asleep and a toddler attacked her with a black sharpie marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Alcaraz is a fine player, but, I think it's a little early for him to beat Djokovic in a slam final, that's the ultimate test in tennis right now. I think Alcaraz will give a good account of himself, if he is to win he'll need to do it in 3 as he doesn't seem to have the stamina to last 5 sets, even against Medvedev yesterday he started to weaken in the third set. It would be great for tennis if Alcaraz does win or alt least make Djokovic earn it, as Djokovic does need a proper challenger at slam level, but, I think Djokovic will ultimately come out on top.

• Advertisement

I think Alcaraz will make Djokovic work for it.

He chases every single point, with a smile on his face....he's like a little puppy 😂

He has youth on his side and he has won every match so far fairly easily, so he's going into the final with great momentum.

I imagine the crowd will also be behind him too.

He has nothing to lose.

I'm not sure tmw will be his time , but I definitely think Alcaraz will be a steady feature in Wimbledon finals for the foreseeable, unless he injures himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Some collapse in that first set from Jabeur :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ons Jabeur looks very nervous and it’s looking like a repeat of last years final in that Jabeur has loads of talent but her nerves have gotten to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

One point from 4 games there is taking the piss a bit

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh dear, looks like Jabeur's nerves are gonna throw this away for her.

Jabeur broken in first game of second set...will take a massive turnaround to get back into this...head gone atm

Vondrousova is not winning this, she's being handed it on a platter.

Horrible seeing Ons implode like this, hope she can get some momentum back before it's too late

Jabeur having a freak out tantrum on just the 2nd point of the game shows her head is all over the place. She is just trying too hard.

Not over by a mile but Jabeur will beat herself if this keeps up.

• Advertisement

Jabeur breaks back! We got ourselves a contest again

Advertisement