Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice break of momentum just there

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Standard wise it feels like I'm watching a first round match

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Big change now Jabeur dictating more of the points, really clicked into gear easy hold of serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Has she finally woken up?

Talk about making it a hard road for yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

The amount of breaks is mental. C'mon Marketa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,186 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Jabeur is an utter moan.

There's more breaks of serve in this than in my casual games down the club!!

Vondrousova is seriously good at digging balls up from her feet on the baseline, and a lot faster around the court than I had given her credit for.

Strange thing is her serve is not even good today. It was exceptional in the semi.

As I said earlier, if V wins this it won't be because she won it - J will have lost it.

Jabeur unforced errors must be through the roof at this stage.

Now, can Jabeur break again, and just bloody hold on to it!

• Advertisement

Maybe not....

Jabeur's body language is appalling. She's just dragging herself around the court. And dragging herself down by the looks of it.

Jabeur 100% threw that away, so erratic, all the ability in the world...

Vondrousova solid not spectacular but that was enough, unseeded amazing achievement for her.

Poor final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Good grief...just caught the final game there and the standard of tennis was on the floor.

Well done Vondrousova. Not at her best.

I must say I do feel for Jabeur, her head was not right at all.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh wow, this will take a while for Jabeur to get over. Vondrousova was solid, but not much else. Much more about Jabeur imploding and giving it away.

Class 1 possibly class 2 standard there. Shockin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Pathetic from Jabeur.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,186 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rarely have I seen a worse attitude in a final. Jabeur was appalling.

I genuinely thought my TV was muted there! While she was hugging her people

• Advertisement

If Jabeur ever gets to a final again - and I really hope she does - she'll need a party pack of valium before setting foot on court.

All credit to Vondrousova, she can't have expected that - she held her head and her nerve brilliantly and let Jabeur beat herself.

What a shame I hope she can recover from this.

Oh would someone just go and give her a hug!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

What a damp squib of a finals game!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Augme

Very disappointing final given the quality of most of the matches up until now. Jabeur just places so much pressure on her to win though, and tbf, the external pressure on her is huge as well. 48% of first serves in just isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Awful tennis. Reminds me why I am loath to tune into women’s tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Probably reflective of the state of women's tennis at the moment.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Aaaand time to check out of the thread as it descends into the utterly predictable "awful show, how very dare they" "state of women's tennis these days" "tennis is doooooomed" naysayers party.

Finals are pressure, people crumble under pressure, she didn't do it on purpose, she's undoubtedly absolutely mortified and heartbroken in equal measure - and I'd love to see any of you geniuses out on centre court in a GS final.

🙄

But GO ALCARAZ!!!

Absolutely, unseeded winner , least tomorrow is by far the best 2 in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Augme

The women's game is currently in a much stronger position. Swiatek, jabeur, Rybankina and Sabalenka have all been consistently challenging and playing to a high standard.

The mens game is in a much worse position. Having the best two players casual stroll so easily to the final, especially when one is 36, really doesn't bode well for future of sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

An unseeded player that was a former junior no 1.

She has been training since she was 4! So 20 years of training have brought her to this point.

Not like she stepped off the tube 2 weeks ago and wandered onto a tennis court!

Advertisement