Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Ahwell

”immigrate people”, what a terrible turn of phrase. To begin with, our muslim population amounts to just 1.8%. No liberal society would even entertain the notion of barring people entering its country on religious grounds. To suggest that’s even possible is ludicrous and an utter waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,120 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I do not agree with this at their homes, protest at The Dail or constituency office or peaceful protests at proposed accommodation places

This is a big issue and I would imagine come all elections will be a top issue

The government are doing no favours by ignoring people and also their lack of transparency and communication, I would imagine local TDs and junior town and city TDs and councillors are getting a lot of flack

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭creeper1

Between plane disembarkation and immigration there are bathrooms.

They could lose their passports there.

All airlines should be required to have a digital photo of non EU or UK passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Poon Tang

The people pushing unsustainable numbers with mass migration, are effectively turning human beings into a type of cargo. (in fact that would be a mild term for what they're doing to these people)

Their policies lead directly to de-humanizing social / living conditions for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭toothy

You're demonizing protesters and know nothing of them. Towit it doesn't matter what they do or don't do, they could be surgeons or strippers, what matters is their democratic right to express their views

Ever the more important with the recent referenda where changes the entire country rejected they tried to railroad through and are trying again with migration pact we have no business handcuffing ourselves to

• Advertisement

II expect then the New York Times and Reuters are acceptable sources then

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN1ZF1PC/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/world/europe/sweden-crime-immigration-hand-grenades.html

Post edited by toothy on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Re O' Gorman protests. It's getting dangerous and someone is going to be killed. I don't like the man's politics but protestesting his residence is completely out of line.

We severly need strong tough leadership to steer us and that is not happening.

I'd go as far as saying I'll be surprised if someone is not hurt at the current rate and only then the penny will drop that stronger security measures are needed.

People have to live with the consequences of his decisions in their residences and communitys

You may not like it but it is true

He shouldn't be able to hide in an ivory tower, he is responsible for his actions, he is getting paid for his actions, he is freely deciding for you and me the action to take.

He could reaign anytime he wants or apologise and tell the people the job is beyond him but he doesn't and hasn't . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It looks like gardai were there but did nothing. Surely this is moving towards intimidation or threatening behaviour and they can be moved on or arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Not outside the private homes of people they don't. They should be rounded up and arrested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭concerned_tenant

Nobody should be protesting outside people's homes, I think most reasonable people agree with that.

And whilst it's true that a tiny violent xenophobic minority exists, they are not representative of the overwhelming majority of people that express legitimate concerns about the immigration question.

That shouldn't need to be even said, though that tiny minority is often cynically weaponized to shut down any form of debate on the question.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

What does "Not outside the private homes of people they don't" have anything got to do with the point I made, it seems you responded just to respond and not address any particular point

Are you perhaps suggesting a hard border for Roderic but not for the rest of us or do the greater population not count . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Yes they are acceptable sources.

Which is why you should read there articles and pay attention when they say things like….

The figures were part of a report on crime rates which showed that overall, the number of crimes reported to the police was slightly down last year.

Sweden is not, as that poster falsely claimed, 'one of the most dangerous countries in Europe'. It is in fact still one of the safer countries in Europe.

More far-right lies.

You've posted far-right propaganda from the group founded by this person.

You've made the association not me.

You're not the first person to show up on this thread claiming to be reasonable, and even liberal minded, and then to post this kind of bile (or maybe you are 😉 )

You've posted far-right propaganda from the group founded by this person.

Please show me just one post that links me to posting "propaganda from the group" you refer to.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

So if a pack of eejits is lingering outside your home, your refusal to resign from your job is a free pass for them to just continue?

Point out one single post that I refused to answer. Just one.

I'm suggesting that people don't hold protests outside other people's private homes. No matter who they are.

Pretty straightforward

This is where you posted propaganda, which you used to falsely claim that 'Sweden is now one of the most dangerous countries in Europe' from this group.

https://bridge.georgetown.edu/research/factsheet-federation-for-american-immigration-reform-fair/

A few post later you're claiming that:

"And whilst it's true that a tiny violent xenophobic minority exists, they are not representative of the overwhelming majority of people that express legitimate concerns about the immigration question."

What a load of BS from this and the rest of your arguments, you clearly don't even have the courage to come out and voice your own beliefs.

I appreciate there are people who have legitimate concerns about migration and are unfairly dismissed as racist or far-right. You really don't look like one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭dmakc

Roderic's refusal to actually engage and hear the communities he's dumping IPA's into, his refusal to show up on any current affairs programme and engage people on the logic of his policies, the lies he told in the press on the outcomes of the referendum, the dictating he gave to NGOs on which way to vote during said referendum, the protective layer he gets from our media where he's allowed to hide away without any accountability.

If ever there was an Irish politician who brought protesters to his door, this is the one. There are genuinely bad people in the world, and quite often they worm their way into positions of power, history will show Roderic to be one. He's well past the point of incompetency, the man is out of control.

This is a flagrant misrepresentation of my views.

This discussion is about Ireland, not Sweden — though that said, it's an undeniable reality that crime rates have increased in Sweden as a consequence of mass immigration from communities whose values toward gay people and women are not aligned with that of Sweden. There are innumerable sources that can confirm this for you, independent from any source I have quoted. Facts remain facts, independent of the source quoted. And quoting that source does not immediately align that person with the founder of an organization.

That's the association fallacy right there, yet again.

And yes, that translates into this country, too. If we were to experience a similar wave of largely undocumented young men from countries whose attitudes toward women and gay people are not aligned with our own, we would quite clearly experience episodes of homophobia or misogynistic attitudes and conduct.

It's an axiomatic, unavoidable consequence.

It doesn't make someone "far-right" to point out this obvious reality.

Labels like "far-right" are just used as smears to shut down debate. If anything, it demonstrates the abject weakness of an argument.

Like I said you made that association by posting from the site.

And if you have anything from a legitimate source to back up your claim, that Sweden is now 'one of the most dangerous countries in Europe' because of immigration I'd love to see it.

You post from far-right sites, you engage in far-right hyperbole, your post history is predominantly on hate-speech and transgender issues, and you're trying to make some weird argument about Muslim culture while pretending that it's not…

Hard to take you seriously that you're just a 'regular Joe' wanting a legitimate debate.

I have made several arguments throughout this thread on why it would be a mistake to mass immigrate people whose values are not aligned with our own liberal values. The essential point I made is that certain values are fundamentally incompatible. If we are to ensure that gay people and women remain protected in society; that those rights are not undermined, then it makes sense not to increase the proportion of the population who are opposed to both. It doesn't make sense to rightly fight for women's rights and gay rights, only then to increase the proportion of the population opposed to both. There is no logic to that position. But having a positive, controlled approach to immigration where we welcome skilled people whose values align with our own means we benefit from immigration in the economic way that we need to, but not at the expense of our liberal values. Further to this, it means that we can manage immigration better, ensuring that we have the social infrastructure available — housing, access to healthcare, school places etc. — that makes immigration work for everyone, society itself as well as people coming to our country.

According to you, that is a far-right, fascist belief — and so my character, and that alone, becomes the primary target — not the arguments I have put forward.

People can make up their own minds as to which position is more coherent, reasonable, and evidence-based.

You like the liberal island we have become, but yet you wish to limit the people that live here based on your values and attitudes. doesn't seem very liberal to me.

You don't think everyone from those countries are the same, you don't want to ban them, but you don't think people from countries that don't align with your views should be allowed to live here.

None of this belongs in a liberal country, where people have freedoms and can live how they wish, so long as it's legal.

Yeah, I think people can make up their own minds.

Which all sounds very reasonable, if entirely impractical, until we get to the part where the only group you'll identify as being 'fundamentally incompatible' with our values, are Muslims.

Conveniently ignoring evidence of other cultures coming from the global south, where homophobia and misogyny are sadly quite widespread, and by your own acknowledgment integrating and contributing very well here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And trans rights too right? Anyone opposed should be just deported?

I mentioned the benefits of the Filipino community in this country, particularly their contribution to healthcare as well as their successful integration into Irish society.

It's a good example because it shows what happens when we vet people before coming to the country, vetting both the quality (skills, background etc.) and quantity (demand) that we need. Furthermore, I think it's easier to integrate people who have more in common i.e. both Ireland and the Philippines share a common socio-religious perspective. It's evidently easier for a community to integrate if they have social and cultural values in common.

And whilst all countries have "bad apples" to some degree, including Ireland, that makes the need to control immigration and vet people all the more pressing. Last time I looked, Australia isn't a fascist state for vetting people who want to enter the country.

In contrast, mass, uncontrolled immigration has zero advantages whilst, at the same time, maximizing risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Its impracticable not least because it requires thought police to be a thing.

@concerned_tenant

Who defines our liberal values?

Who adjudicates if a person aligns with those values?

What happens to Irish by birth people who do not align with the defined agreed liberal values?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You are ignoring the predominant religion in the country’s take on homosexuality and women’s reproductive rights. From the Catechism of the Catholic Church….

“Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered." They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.” Do they still use that little brown catechism in schools?

And of course all contraceptives and abortion would also be against the church’s teachings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement