Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,399 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Derek Blighe another running in MEP elections, his party is Freedom First or Ireland First, he is a very vocal protesting anti immigration campaigner

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭engineerws

Interesting commentary and very much similar to Enoch Powell.

@JupiterKid said

'Islam cannot and will not integrate in Western countries.'

I gave two examples where this was untrue. I could give more. In science, an axiom becomes untrue if it can be broken. What @jupiterkid said is untrue.

There could well be a tipping point as you say where the culture changes against LGBT if for example a large number of anti homosexual religious zealout Israeli's became the majority.

That conversation you regurgitated has nothing to do with my post.

I know many Muslims who have integrated well into Irish society and thus that disproves @jupiterkid Islamophobic statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Islam is quite accomodating and concerned with diversity and inclusively when in a small minority yes but not so much when it becomes a larger chunk of a country's/city's population.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And you believe that in certain countries everybody thinks the same ?

Youre.suggesting that some countries and their people are beneath us, and that we ban everyone from those countries from coming to Ireland. You see what youre saying yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

….

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Sunjava

Are there masses of people from the southern United States coming here? …no. In relation to Hindu people ..same principle should apply, the numbers need to be limited, the reason that Islam gets focus is evident the world over and the daftness of welcoming it in large numbers to the historically Catholic/Christian world is rather shortsighted and reckless in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

No, I don't think everyone thinks the same. Nor do I think we should "ban everyone from those countries from coming to Ireland". And no, I don't think people with different values are beneath anyone.

This isn't the first time you have attempted to misrepresent my position.

What I am arguing is fairly straightforward — that certain values are incompatible. Gay rights and women's rights are fundamentally incompatible with homophobic attitudes and misogyny. Unfortunately some countries in the world are overrepresented with opinions that are opposed to both and so we have to ask the question: why would we want to increase the risk of importing those values into this country?

Therefore because I am living in a country where we have spent decades fighting for women's rights and gay rights, it makes no sense to me, on any level, to increase the population of people opposed to both.

And I speak as a gay person myself.

What I am espousing is a wholly liberal position; in that I want this country to retain those rights and safety / protection.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

So you don't think we should ban everyone from those countries, but then you go on to say

Unfortunately some countries in the world are so opposed to both rights that we have to ask the question: why would we want to import those values into this country?

it makes no sense to me, on any level, to increase the population of people opposed to both.

So, forgive me for not understanding your mixed up posts, but you either don't want people from those countries here, or you're happy for them to be here?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Sunjava

FYI, there is a block function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah we know.

One of them is serving a prison sentence for murdering 2 men in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

These appalling conditions the asylum seekers are living in isn't creating any fuss from the do gooders. Amazing.

As a case in point, let's take the United States.

Wyoming is the most conservative state in the United States, and so it is most associated with socially conservative policies — abortion, immigration, gay rights, women's rights etc.

The most liberal state in America is typically considered Massachusetts, for the exact opposite reasons as above.

If you had a choice that 2,000 people at random had to move from either of these two states to Ireland, which immigrant group — Wyoming or Massachusetts — do you believe is more aligned to our values?

And second to that, do you think the choice matters?

Because there comes a point when theory has to be put into practice, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this question.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭prunudo

and when we raised the living conditions as a reason to stop a centre, we are told its just a smokescreen for our racism.

Didnt answer the question and now deflecting with a another question.

What I asked was a legitimate question. If you don't want to answer the question, that's fine.

But it's very obvious to me — that I would rather liberally minded people who support gay rights and women's rights etc. from New York or Massachusetts enter this country — than people from more conservative states that actively dislike, or are opposed to, either.

It's very straightforward. Liberal countries do not socially benefit from mass immigration from people from countries where socially conservative views prevail.

It's almost axiomatic, it's obvious.

More deflection.

if you don't want to answer the question that's fine too, everyone can see what you are saying.

f

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

The other actions were not in my original discussion at all only the burning of the Quran .

Not the response .

When that was brought up I agreed that that was wrong also .

Don't know what path you are still trying to force me to take here .

Is it your argument that mass immigration of people from socially conservative countries is a good thing to a socially liberal country, such as ours?

Because that's what it boils down to.

I think the mass introduction of socially conservative people to this country is a bad thing; a regressive outcome, something that contradicts the progress that we have sought to improve upon.

What do you think?

The irony is that your position sounds very, very conservative — that you don't mind if more conservative opinions become prevalent over time.

MMy 'argument ' is that you don't answer questions, so not sure why you think anyone should answer yours!

• Advertisement

Which question would you like me to answer, that you believe I didn't answer?

Happy to answer any question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm confused, you've given the Philippines as an example of a country from which people have integrated well. Yet it's clearly a very socially conservative country.

Abortion, divorce and same sex marriage are all illegal and while some indications show the country becoming more tolerant of LGBTQ communities, others point to deep seated prejudice.

In the same survey, 43% of respondents believe that AIDS is a sickness of gays and lesbians, and 40% of respondents agreed that if there was a gay or lesbian member of their family, they would like them to change and become straight.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/28/1184968364/in-the-philippines-a-survey-shows-growing-support-for-gays-and-lesbians

It's a good question.

In Ireland, we have had Filipino immigration and it has been a net positive. There's no doubt about that.

Unfortunately with mass immigration, it means that anyone can enter the country, for any reason, at any time. It's uncontrolled. Take a look at Sweden. It went from one of the safest countries in Europe to one of the most dangerous in Europe, very quickly. And that was a direct consequence of mass immigration. It wasn't due to a sudden increase in indigenous Swedish crime, nor was it due to a sudden increase in Filipino nurses.

In other words, what you quoted proves my point.

Immigration is a good thing, but we need to control it; to ensure that we don't end up like Sweden; that we can capitalize on migration to further our economic and social goals whilst at the same time mitigating against the risks that negative migration can, and does, pose.

Another visitor here with very questionable reading habits.

That report on Swedish crime is from FAIR. From their wiki...

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) currently classifies FAIR as a hate group, citing among other things the organization's anti-Latino and anti-Catholic attitudes, its acceptance of $1.2 million from a racist foundation, the Pioneer Fund, its hiring as key officials men who also joined white supremacist groups, having board members who also write regularly for hate publications, its promotion of racist conspiracy theories, and the white supremacist beliefs of its founder. In 1982, John Tanton wrote "As Whites see their power and control over their lives declining, will they simply go quietly into the night? Or will there be an explosion."[8][51] The SPLC issued an intelligence report in 2007, after which they added FAIR to its list of hate groups.[51]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

There was a former poster on this site who referred to immigrants as "human cargo".

As a new liberal poster like yourself would you disagree with that term and how much it dehumanizes other people?

I think they even tried and one stage they tried to slur a Man Utd footballer for doing some charity work.

I'm sure you can agree that is not very liberal and more like someone who was brainwashed by an outlet like GB news for example?

This is the founder of the organisation who produced that report on Sweden being one of the 'most dangerous countries in Europe' because of Muslim migration.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tanton

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

VIdeos of so called protesters outside the home of Roderic O'Gorman again.

Would any other European country accept this?

Roderic, who clearly should have resigned after the referendums fiasco and the appalling conditions asylum seekers are living in, still shouldn't have to endure this rubbish from out of work wasters.

No idea who he is.

Nor he is representative of the argument I have sought to put across in this thread.

It's yet another attempt at a smear-by-association which, as most people know, is a logical fallacy to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Another excellent report from NT's Barry Whyte on the PK radio show this morning talking about increasing the fines for airlines delivering passport trashers/system gamers to the country. Interesting stats re the percentages too

https://www.goloudplayer.com/episodes/fines-for-airlines-who-fail-to-p-ZmJlMjUwMjAzMzFlM2M5MjNlYTkyZTJhNzI2Zjc4YzA%3D

I said it before, forget the fines - New policy: Immigration officers board plane at disembarking area - They request passport from seated pax on the plane. If passport is presented, the pax is allowed to leave the plane. No passport presented, the pax stays on the plane and is refused access to Irish soil. Airlines wouldn't long about getting their act together with that policy in place

The key to this of course is letting the people who plan on a bit of passport trashing/hiding know of this policy before taking the flight in the first place - This is not quantum physics (although it may still be beyond our incredibly well paid TD's, advisers and civil servants)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement