Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What are you talking about? Who ever said anything about not having firm immigration policies?

People are controlled by laws, about where they go and what they do.

Im not sure what you're arguing here, other them it seems to be ok for people to protest outside private homes?

Dont know why posts are not quoting @toothy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The source for the other chart was also the CSO, but from your link the estimates were revised last September, “The Population and Migration Estimates publication for 2023 include revised usual residence estimates for the years 2017 to 2022 (i.e. the period between Censuses). This revision process involved a thorough analysis of the final detailed Census results.” So accepting the net migration of the mid 40,000s pre-pandemic, post-pandemic net migration less Ukraine refugees is in the mid 30000s Which is considerable off 50,000 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Poon Tang

And they didn't even have the outstanding selection of high quality tents that this generation has to choose from.

I have actually photographed some of the historical cottages that our ancestors lived in, back in those pre-famine days. People should beware what they wish for, with overpopulation. It really was a bleak existence for those guys all cramped on top of each other.

Post edited by Poon Tang on

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Water2626262

One interesting thing you see on the likes of Reddit etc is how people talk about how every job has 1,000 plus applicants. Most of these are from abroad.

There is also a crunch in tech where people have been laid off and being out of work for longer. Seems it’s easier to just let someone go and bring in someone from abroad at 20% less pay. They want to leave their country and get a step on the ladder so they’ll take lower wages etc.

So it seems there is now a trend where you are going to compete with half the world for a job and it’s a race to the bottom with pay and more pressure on a tight housing supply. Will be interesting to see how this pans out as it hits other sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

There is supposed to be a process whereby work-permits are only issued where no Irish, maybe EU, candidates are available for the job. But I'm not sure how robustly that's applied.

I think the idea behind a lot of the free-trade, globalization approach, (predominantly right-wing in origin) is that economies would not be hindered from being efficient by tariffs, regulation etc.

Instead it looks like people and businesses are just moved around to the lowest cost base.

I don't think that, operated like it is, it really benefits people.

One thing we could do in the morning to reduce immigration and take pressure off services would be to raise our corporation tax rates and close mnc tax loopholes. I'm not sure we should take all that responsibility in isolation, but we need to push for a global levelling, essentially to benefit ordinary people. I also think we could make some changes to close tax loopholes etc which would lead to improvements nationally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,144 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I am in shock an appeal allowed, state paying in legal aid, this will incite more protests which should be at McEntee's office and The Dail

https://www.sundayworld.com/crime/courts/jozef-puska-granted-legal-aid-to-appeal-conviction-for-murdering-school-teacher-ashling-murphy/a908214897.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Roderic has thanked Gardai for their support in a statement just released.

Thanked them for what?

Don't know why you are shocked. He's a.convicted murderer. Everyone is.entitled to look for an appeal, particularly a murderer, who has nothing to lose. a

I am in shock, no convicted murderer should be granted an appeal, let alone with legal aid, our justice system really needs overhauling

Everybody is entitled to look for an appeal. It's a right as per Article 34 of the Constitution of Ireland.

The court of appeal itself was set up after a referendum where over 65% of the population, voted in favour of it.

Pretty sure if you or I were convicted of something, we would lodge an appeal.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,295 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Dirtbag should be paying for any appeal with his own money.

He had lots of it lying around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Taxpayers money.

Couldn't work due to a bad back. Back was in grand shape when he was out murdering though.

Scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Re the earlier posts on Dan O'Brien's comments on the foreign born population - These are the figures Dan referred to - The chart is from Eurostat - It includes all sectors of foreign born population - UA refugees, language students, legal visa migrants, passport trashers, people fleeing the ongoing nuclear armageddon and conventional wars raging in South Africa, Nigeria, Albania, Georgia, Pakistan etc etc

As I said to another lad here recently, if you have issues with the figures, perhaps a strongly worded email to Eurostat would be in order. Also consider this; Dan O'B mentioned these figs on RTE and you can be damn sure they did a deep fact check on it afterwards and they would be the first ones to announce a correction if any anomalies were found - they didn't

You'd also think the Govt would've corrected Eurostat if their figures were wrong wouldn't you?

It's an inconvenient truth I know, but there you have it

1,150,590 - 904,801 = 245,789

Contrast with Denmark's figs (pop 5.9m) increase in the same year 58,210 vs our 245,789

Is it possible that Denmark may not actually be governed by a bunch of ****wits?

One thing we could do in the morning to reduce immigration and take pressure off services would be to raise our corporation tax rates and close mnc tax loopholes. I'm not sure we should take all that responsibility in isolation, but we need to push for a global levelling, essentially to benefit ordinary people. I also think we could make some changes to close tax loopholes etc which would lead to improvements nationally.

Boo, that reads like a SF manifesto

• Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Several hundred thousand of the people you are describing as 'foreign born' are Irish citizens and passport holders. Many of them may have lived in Ireland since childhood or are the children of returning Irish emigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Will0483

He is a perfect example of the why the origoin of immigrants is of paramount importance. We need figures of the percentage of each nationality in employment and the percentage off each nationality that have been charged with a crime.

This information can then be used to form a logical and fair immigration policy.

For those who argue that he was a Romanian citizen and cannot be deported; that is factually incorrect as any EU citizen who has not found work within 3 months can be legally removed from the state.

It is a national scandal that he and his family were housed, clothed and fed by the Irish taxpayer for years and this directly led to the murder of Aisling Murphy.

As usual though, the civil servants and politicians responsible will not be held accountable and nothing has changed.

What is the issue exactly? No one can seem to answer that. There are foreign born people living in Ireland, what is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭concerned_tenant

I don't have a problem with foreign-born people in Ireland, or foreign people in Ireland.

But according to the OECD, 17% of Ireland's population is foreign-born.

That figure is already high, coming up to 1-in-5 people.

The question "no one seems to answer" is this: at what percentage does that figure get too high?

Or put another way, do you believe there is even a limit?

For instance, do you think it would be a "problem" if the percentage rises over time from 17% to 40%?

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

Still didn't answer my question that I asked you twice. I have no idea why it matters how many 'foreign born' people live here.

• Advertisement

I think there's a growing awareness that 'growth for growths sake' has failed, hence you'll see the likes of NZ and Canada talking about reducing visas to relieve pressure on housing and services.

I think we need to move away from our corporate tax strategies over time. Superficially looking like a very wealthy country hasn't worked for a variety of reasons.

I shared this article earlier from a Nobel Prize winning economist on how we've gotten it wrong on free trade and immigration over the last few decades. It's not very technical and worth a read

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/nobel-prize-economist-angus-deaton-rethinks-unions-free-trade-immigration-2024-4%3famp

I'll vote for someone on the left. I would have been leaning towards SF but very disappointed by some of their recent pivots.

It won't be Greens for sure, they're a car-crash. I'd vote for a serious left- environmental party but the Greens are more like a deluded bicycle cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

And what did you do in the war, Mammy?

Well I spent all my free time on an internet forum trying to goad folk into them admitting to being nasty horrible racists. It made me feel so worthy.

Mod

Warned for this post.

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭concerned_tenant

You don't have to answer my question, though the question stands on its own merits.

I'll answer the question though.

Each country has their own culture and values and so on. If half the population were to become foreign-born, for instance, it would have a negative impact on both. That's an axiomatic conclusion. Similarly, and related to what we discussed before, mass immigration of people from countries whose attitudes toward minorities and women are not aligned with our own, would have a detrimental effect on the country too.

That's why it "matters". It matters a great deal to many people. Most people don't think it's ok to have this kind of mass immigration.

Controlled migration in sensible numbers that adds to the economy with people from countries with broadly similar values — yes — that's an unquestionably good thing.

But the current model is broken.

It is quite simply unsustainable in the long-term.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Concerned tenant, why oh why do you bother, suvgirl has turned into the cathy newman of boards, you'll answer and get a deflection, but but but and goading Continues

Mod

Warned for this post

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭bloopy

Deflection and word games appears to be the only tactic left.

Might give it another go at calling everyone racists, but there is not really any point anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Demography as it relates to ethnic and cultural diversity has implications in multiple areas, social cohesion is commonly cited as a phenomenon sensitive to demographic factors. A decline in social cohesion has significant political, social and economic impact; diminishing public trust, reduced democratic participation, declining welfare support etc. Interestingly and relatedly, there are indications that  ‘sociotropic’ or interpersonal considerations, rather than personal concerns, are responsible for an increase in antipathy to immigration in Ireland. 

Has been spoken about many times on this thread. It's a complete fallacy.

Some People coming to this country might take up Irish games, music, dancing, etc some may not. Some Irish people don't involve themselves in 'irish customs '

Given that we are famous worldwide for our music, dancing and that there are GAA clubs dotted all over the four corners I doubt very much that we will ever see an end to Irish customs.

Any chance of you answering my question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

You can't see any issues with taking in 250k net immigrants in 2022? No issues with housing them, services required etc etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Yeah nothing worse than immigrants coming here getting jobs. 👆🏿🤔

Watch the narrative already changing, it started with only immigrants who didn't pay their way were the problem. Now it's already shifting to no good immigrant.

Even the ones coming here for work are part of the problem.

No xenophobia though right?

No one contradicts this narrative, the site method for showing support seems to indicate this opinion is not unpopular.

No xenophobia though right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement