Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was screaming at the tv on his comments on search and rescue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Strange behavior.

Were you really screaming at your tv listening to another person?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Most of what Mattie McGrath has said on this has been spot on.

I'm no fan but the government allowed no debate and Sinn Fein cooperated with it.

Now we're in this mess of hundreds in tents and the Gov admitting today we're in a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/9ed23-government-agrees-new-comprehensive-accommodation-strategy-for-international-protection-applicants/

The Irish worker, who wants to buy their own house, is very far down the list of priorities. It’s some country.

It’s being run as if there was no housing crisis at all. The State is going to compete against its own citizens to buy property for the use of asylum seekers, 60% of whom will eventually be asked to self deport. We’re gone through the Looking Glass.

There has to be a turn to the right, working people are going to start voting in their own interests soon.

Immigration, and its links with the housing crisis, are going to dominate the next election. The cabinet must think the public are fairly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Carty waffling on and making no sense at all.

The shinners must be getting a bit worried their previous open borders policies will cost them votes.

That one from Amnesty was a pain, another posh lib who wants nobody to be deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Roughly, in just the last week you've mentioned O'Gorman quite a bit - Each line below is from a seperate post - I just found that interesting

• O'Gorman is supposed to announce a plan by the end of the month.
    • O' Gorman really needs to release the medium and long term plan asap.
    • Hopefully O'Gormans plan includes joined up thinking with the housing dept, so those transferring from reception centres can be accomodated in advance of their 90 day date.
    • Thats the question O'Gorman needs to answer. I hope it will mostly be social housing and we dont have to resort to tents.
    • A lot rests on O'Gormans plan this month, where he lays out the medium and long term plan.
    • I would hope that O'Gormans strategy, due later this month, will answers this question.
    • O'Gorman has a plan Maisie....this week it should be announced.
    • O Gorman is due to deliver the plan this week I believe. Lets hope its a good one!
    • Well....what did people think of O'Gormans plan?
    • I was hoping for a more thought out plan, [re O’Gorman’s plan] but not suprised to be dissapointed [sic]

It's almost like you're trying to make out it's just one guy running the Govt and It's all his fault. It really isn't - The government on the whole signed off on this at cabinet level - Don't be fooled by them Blue, you're smarter than that.

I think it's a given that the Greens will be vaporised in future elections - Of the two main parties, FG will be absolutely hammered and rightly so. They're the dominant party in Govt.

I predicted over a year ago that FFG would try to shaft ROG and the GP in general - My analogy was of Rodders steering the ship towards an iceberg as the lads partied below deck laughing at the wally in the wheelhouse, only for one of them to realise that they are on the ship too - It looks like my prediction has come to pass. It's 'shaft the Green Party time' which is a tactic that may have worked 20 years ago, but not now

While it has already started, watch the Govt FG/FF talking heads ramp up mentions of: - 'Minister O'Gorman', Roderic O'Gorman', 'The Green Party', 'The Dept of integration', over the coming months as they try to pull the - 'It was the Greens wot made us do it', angle

As FG and FF try to figure out the optimal air pressure in the bus tyres to do the maximum damage to the GP, don't be taken in by it - FG in particular are as culpable as the Greens on this one -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I read it as the govt will buy up property for asylum seekers also.

What else can it be, if it is turnkey property.

I think the govt could be clearer on the types of accom proposed. What is it and what is the purpose.

Is it reception only for 6 months, or is it long term accomodation for succesful asylum seekers.

If its reception only, where do they expect the asylum seekers to be housed permanently?

It was good to at least see some projections of asylum seeker numbers expected, approx 15k per year.

What they need to do is show how that 15k will be accomodated, in the context of natural population growth and the current homeless/social housing list.

I am picturing covid style updates with slides each thursday night!

But seriously.... some semblence of a plan, inclusive of numbers of asylum seeker arrivals, asylum accomodation available, asylum accomadation in construuction etc is needed, to give the public clarity.

Figures should be published monthly or quarterly, because this is for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

When I say O'Gorman, I refer to him as the figure head for dept of integration and he did deliver the details today, but I agree with you that this is an all govt party approach.

The Greens will take the flack for it, but the issue wont go away with the Greens.

Regardless of who forms the next govt, the govt will need to continue an immigration plan and the asylum seekers will still keep coming.

This doesnt end with the Greens is what I am saying, so dont pay too much heed to O'Gorman carrying the can.

He will pass that baton soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭minimary

What I don't get about us signing up for the European Pact is instead of signing up, just adopt the measures in the pact that they think will actually bring down the numbers of economic migrants. Do what Europe is proposing legislatively without opting into the taking more asylum seekers from other countries/paying 20k a head.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DirectorKrennic

Ireland is a small island with a severe shortage of housing. If the Irish Government want to take in X amount of refugees a year that's all well and good but where are the houses? I remember the 08 crash the urgency the Government showed setting up NAMA, multiple rounds of bank bailouts and then post the 2011 General Election the Action Plan for Jobs and reforming Government depts etc. Where is the urgency on housing? Does the Irish Government not care that we have a housing crisis or are they simply out of ideas? How can we keep bringing people in with no where to house them or 70% of young adults living at home with their parents. Started to feel like a mug working full time to be honest! The Irish Government doesn't care about me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

They had years to come up with a plan and instead called everyone who protested the use of hotels for the mass influx of asylum seekers racist. The penny has finally dropped for them that this is actually a big issue for the average voter. Everything they are doing is just an attempt to avoid being battered at the ballot box. Every single main political party has been cheerleading the mass importation of people from around the world at the expense of the Irish people. Spent literally billions of our money just to get a nice pat on the head from the NGOs and the lads in Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Agree , it's going to cause massive resentment, though no doubt they will go ahead and try not to speak of it.

Noone who has come to this country and never worked should get their own house/apartment

Given unused office space can now be used as housing for asylum seekers, does it mean that any new project that is being built should be considered under this metric if it can be done without planning permission then surely it should have to be considered when planning is awarded, right? Even if the developer says that it won't be used for such, it should have to be considered and how much capacity an area would have to absorb that amount of new people.

I'm really curious how many FF and FG politicans will rebel when this new plan is put to the Dail, the Government doesn't have a big enough margin that they can sustain many voting against it. If I was a politican in certain areas, I'd lose the whip and go Independent to keep my seat next election.

If you look at the 2 plans together they're basically admitting failure on us reducing the amount of asylum seekers and/or increasing processing speeds. They also haven't announced a detention centre which I think is part of the EU pact

Lets say it actually works and the amount of people claiming asylum is reduced by half from 13k to 6.5k but we've a system with capacity for 15k, what are the bets that the NGO's guilt the Government into taking more asylum seekers so we still end up with the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They'll end up saving money because there can be a move towards closing a lot of the hotels as IPAS accomodation

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

They dont care about Irish voters thats for sure, but they are happy to squander our taxes.

For years we were told there's no money to fix a long list of issues that affect local people but they can suddenly find billions to pay for supports for people who just arrived here, and send billions to other countries.

They should be ashamed at the mis-handling of immigration and refugees, the cost and the impact on local families. They are supposed to manage the country in the best interests of constituents, but have total disdain for locals all over the country. They ignored or lectured anyone who dared to question them and they're more focussed on others instead of the people who voted for them.

Are our TD's really deaf to popular opinion or just towing the party line? Maybe some in the cabinet are sucking up to the EU top-brass to prove they can dance to the EU tune, or maybe they really are out of their depth and incompetent (Dunning-Kruger effect comes to mind).

Isn't it a big coincidence that the new migration pact is finally adopted just in time for the EU elections in June. 😏

The plan for 2028 has 7k more bed spaces. How will there be any savings? I don't think the State will be able to provide the acommodation for more people at any significant cost savings.

"At present, there are 28,181 beds available in the system. This comprises 20,824 spaces in emergency commercial accommodation, 6,173 beds in permanent IPAS centres and some 1,184 State owned beds.

Under the Coalition’s new plan, there will in future be 35,000 beds. This will comprise 10,000 spaces in emergency commercial accommodation, 11,000 beds in contingency commercial accommodation, some 1,000 community State owned beds, and 13,000 other State owned beds."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

So now we’ve moved from own door accommodation to turn key houses? I might just stick a zero onto the current value of my house, contact Rodders and buy a cheap apartment in sunny Spain!

I could be reading it wrong but wasn’t it always the Irish rule that you couldn’t claim asylum here if you had made a claim in another country? If so, why is McEntee telling us we’re signing up for something we should have already been doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

McEntee was on Newstalk this morning waffling about how good this plan will be for us but its all aspirational, deportations are never going to happen in any significant numbers. She even admitted it will take 2 years to get processes in place, how many more asylum seekers will have arrived by then?

Why is modular housing only being built for asylum seekers?

Aren't the government already competing against domestic house buyers by having the councils buying up houses for housing asylum seekers as well as renting houses for asylum seekers?

Post edited by Patrick2010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭prunudo

How exactly is it good for us? Spending money on housing and services for people with dubious claims to be here while services for the current citizens get neglected. If we need them to work here, let them follow the correct channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

We get brownie points from the EU leaders, to pretend we’re a world power and to line up nice cushy jobs for former ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The Dublin regulations state an asylum seeker can be sent back to the first country they claimed asylum in. I have no idea why we are not doing that, unless those countries are refusing to take them?

That really doesn't make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I wonder will this article be branded as far right, saying that a big influx of refugees would put pressure on services, who would have thought 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

You already have the State providing free houses for certain citizens. Now it's going to provide them for non-citizens, 60% of whom will not get refugee status

The workers who pay for it, many of whom can't afford to buy or even rent houses for themselves, may not like this. Could anyone blame them?

Social solidarity around support for refugees collapsed some time ago. But the Government don't seem to think it's bad enough yet, they're trying to reduce it even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Water2626262

It seems there will be a lifetime amount of state support required for these people. If a lot of them are unskilled they will never be able to rent or buy on minimum wage. They will pay little to no income tax given our progressive tax system. They won’t be able to leave emergency accommodation unless they get social housing. What happens at the next recession?

It does sound quite cold to state it like that but where does it end. Is it fair to take in 30,000 people living in poverty and not 300 million? It’s a hard reality that we are very fortunate and there is huge suffering in the world. This has been the case for all of history.

I’d also feel very hard done by if I came to Ireland legally from the likes of Brazil etc. Worked hard at a minimum wage job and living with a long commute to an overcrowded and overpriced house share. I honestly don’t know how they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

You would imagine a lot of them will resign and move to be Independants.

It reminds you where you have people at the top who are clueless, and the people underneath need to pretend they agree with it.

Over 70% of the population are fed up with this and we are to believe so many TDS are out of tune with the majority of the country, not all of them are idiots.

Basically we are going to build and offer houses to people turning up illegally while irish people are bypassed for new housing.

Imagine going door to door and trying to get people to vote for you, while you stand behind this nonsense.

We are just going to destroy the country, how long will multinationals stick around when we export our brightest and replace them with lads who can't speak english, not going to be great for them looking for staff in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think that's the case and has been for a while. Otherwise Greece, Italy etc would end up with the initial costs of huge numbers of IPAs, with relatively few for northern states. This new agreement looks to me like people can be returned, but the returning state will be covering the cost.

With this EU agreement comes harder measures at those external borders. From what I read I think IPAs can now be detained immediately, for up to six months, where deemed a security risk or having a low likelihood of a successful application.

I don't know how that will apply in Ireland, will our northern border be seen as an external border?

It's funny to see so many here up in arms about it. It's generally seen as being more favorable to the anti-immigration brigade.

I think it will take some time to see how it works. I think there's a big emphasis on trying to get overall deportation rates up for failed applications, which I guess where the further talk of offshore centers come in.

I'm not too sure it'll bring down overall IPA arrivals in the EU, if it does I suspect there'll be a subsequent increase in people arriving but staying within the shadow economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well, surely nobody in the country would deny that the sudden arrival of 100k or 200k people (on top of our current population) would be a massive logistical problem and would cause all sorts of difficulties for the country.....and yes, even economics would come into it, as it would cost a fortune to even try and accommodate them.

Advertisement