Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Just on the UK point, I think you've misunderstood what I'm saying.

Brexiteers used the immigration problem to their advantage and framed it as an EU problem. When in actuality it's a problem countries have to face on an individual level to an extent. They even after Brexit still have problems with many many people from countries outside the EU trying to get into the UK whether to work, claim asylum or indeed get in illegally and work in the black economy. UK history is also intertwined with such immigration largely due to their colonial past. That's the jist of the point I was making.

As regards the southern EU states taking the problem out on northern states if there's a pushback, that won't really work they'll have to sort their own problems albeit I'd imagine with huge monetary help from us (the EU). They are as I've said before hamstrung by their geography. Much like the US and Australia are.

Put simply it is and will continue to be so much harder for them, but that doesn't mean we should keep taking huge numbers in some sort of show of solidarity or sharing of the load that'd be insanity and will only create a neverending cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think that goes against what we signed up for today.

Depending on how many IPAs arrive in the southern states we'll either be accepting an amount based on our GDP and population, or paying into a fund on that same basis.

I'm not sure within that what happens with IPAs who arrive directly to Ireland, I'd imagine these are treated as part of an EU total number.

To me it seems about fair though it depends how well it's implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

It looks like Roderic O Gorman is still trying to sneak in the Green agenda with respect to asylum seekers with the latest reforms. "Turn Key" homes are part of the offering, which will only act as a magnet. And also increased "purchasing" - which translates to the Department of Integration buying brand new homes off the market. So in addition to social housing, first time buyers will now have to compete with fake asylum seekers for homes. Farcical.

And if "taking the last hotel in the area away" is now not part of policy, why didn't they implement that policy a mere 4 weeks ago in Roscrea and Drogheda! Enraging incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

This is primarily an issue for mainland EU Member States, Germany in particular. One of the reasons this is an issue for Germany, in addition to geography, is that, through a combination of generous asylum and welfare conditions, it has developed a reputation as a destination in which to claim asylum; Ireland is rapidly developing this reputation as well. As it is, EU Member States with an external border are facilitating the secondary movement of asylum seekers because, regardless of the individual asylum policies adopted by Member States with internal borders, they invariably receive the majority of asylum seekers arriving in the EU. It is important to remember, however, that they only passively facilitate secondary movements, it is the asylum seeker that ultimately decides which Member State to claim asylum in and it is a Member State’s asylum policies that have the overriding influence on that decision. The idea that Ireland adopting rigid asylum policies would prompt Member States with an external border to engage in the facilitation of secondary movement thereby increasing asylum applications in Ireland is misplaced, these Member States are engaging in this practice as it is. In failing to adopt rigid asylum policies Ireland will be responsible for an increase in asylum regardless of the sentiment in other EU Member States.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Well....what did people think of O'Gormans plan?

*Runs for cover*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Unfortunately I fear so.

It's being sold as measures to reduce those needing asylum/accommodation but that doesn't appear to track with the reality of what's going on in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

It's going to cause resentment.

Whole system needs an overhaul tho, including benefits and access to housing supports.

Some interesting answers to Ben Scanlon today, would expect a large increase in rejections and deportations if acted on (who am I kidding 😂).

The "most vulnerable, fleeing war and starvation" line frequently trotted out really grinds my gears, and I can't be the only one.

McEntee talked about improving processing times for asylum applications, but i dont think there was much detail on actually deporting failed/bogus asylum seekers.

Its one thing issuing a deportation order, its another thing actually deporting someone.

I have seen claims as well that staff there have doubled, prob still not enough.

A way to actually convince the public would be to publish stats on average time, percentage appeals, numbers deported etc. Most people aren't black and white on the issue, I know I am not, and more transparency would help and show things are going in the right direction/being taken seriously.

Agreed.

Stats need to be published with relevance to all this.

How many modular homes have been built, how many hotel rooms have been returned to private use etc.

I got the impression that in the short to medium term, there isnt really going to be any change.

Reliance on hotels and office blocks and then passing the problem from the minister of integration to the minister of housing (who has no housing stock) after the reception period.

I was hoping for a more thought out plan, but not suprised to be dissapointed

• Advertisement

Thought out plans aren't really what we do in this country, or actual action. Metrics and Transparency are needed, without that it's just a load of talk. Even now there are many metrics which could be published weekly or monthly. We did COVID daily.

Government are blessed that corporate tax take has left then able to kick this down the road until now.

Funny I wrote to Minister OBrien about two years ago who said no housing stock would be affected by this 😂😂 it's a total shitshow, and I feel I am very lucky to be in the property ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Lol..we said it here a few days ago , didn't we ?

He must have been reading the thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Unless we see deportations ramped up and this ridiculous scenario where multiple appeals have to be gone through at taxpayers expense the announcement today is just more hot air from McEntee and Roddy.

If they actually do what they say they are going to do it will improve some of the congestion, release hotels back to tourism and ensure only those that genuinely need to be here are staying .

6 new state run accomodation centres , not before time .

He didn't list them all.... did any of ye get the locations ?

One in Thornton Hall near Dublin Airport , that's been flagged for a while .

Not sure if those reno office blocks will be ready soon.

I would like them properly done and turned into apartments for all our young people and city workers looking for accomodation. Not just hostel type flats or bedsits .

One good thing out of this is a more coherent plan and not just knee jerk responding like the last two years .

And glad they finally did the press conference and answered questions .

They have also talked about community meetings and supports at local level as well as a cohesive partnership between all the different government ministries which is another positive move .

He should never have been left dealing with all of this essentially alone as he has been . He was completely out if his depth.

Look , I will take it with a grain of salt , but it's a move in the right direction .

I agree they need to put more information in the public domain, at least every couple of weeks , about what is happening numbers in, numbers accepted / not accepted , action taken eg flights back or deportation , and so on.

I would think that has to happen now as the different departments will be making sure that the others are doing their bit .

One thing I clicked was the modular housing ...that has surely to be for all homeless groups not just asylum seekers ?

Its oh so quiet ....👀

Yep. Very notable there's no reform in terms of border police enforcing deportation orders, no reform in terms of NGO's financing endless appeals and no reform in terms of removing statuses such as "leave to remain", which inexplicably allows people to remain in the country even though we've rejected their asylum plea. Those are the real reforms that have not actually happened - this is going to make the problem worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Also no reform in terms of aligning the criteria for acceptance of asylum with other EU countries. We have 10 safe countries while the Netherlands has 33. Austria rejects around 50% of asylum applicants while we reject less than 10%. NGO's and their apologists on quicksand trying to justify these differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Thought 60% of asylum seekers here did not meet requirements.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How is any of this positive??

It now proposes to quadruple the amount of IPAs initially planned in the white paper.

Its building modular housing costing billions on state owned land for basically economic migrants.

This is the government doubling down with a big FU to the tax payers of this country.

Post edited by Jinglejangle69 on

They don't according to Roderic O Gorman, so we should reject them and deport them right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

10% is certainly a fairly accurate representation of effected deportation orders…

It's not planning to quadruple asylum seekers , it's their accomodation. Which will lessen the impact on hotels and housing .

I have clearly explained what I think is better and it's the fact that they are finally thinking about some sort of plan and that they are coming out and talking about it what they are trying to do , instead of hiding away paralysed, followed by random jolts of ill thought out action .

This means that they can be questioned and have to account for themselves which is always a better situation and leads to debate which is healthy .

But I do agree about the modular housing .

Its deeply disappointing that Irish homeless people/ families have not been given the same treatment here , but let's see what Paschal has to say about capital projects first .

Edited to quadrupled as well :)

Also what if that accomodation is being over planned / over provided for ?

Is it going to be used as social accomodation if part of Housing Minister's allocation, I wonder ?

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭suvigirl

But you just posted that less then 10% are rejected, which is correct?

big difference in less then 10% and 60%.....

One of the key points is to buy new “turn key” accommodation.

What do you think this means?

It’s the buying up of new housing.

What an absolute joke and kick in the teeth to Irish people trying to save to buy a house or apartment.

See my edit jj.

Also it was said that this may happen depending on Paschal .

I would say there would be uproar if that was done . And I will be out there along side you protesting if that is the case .

All this talk when they know an election is coming.

Too little too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's to late alright plus it wont get into law before the general election i believe which is an absolute blessing I think.

Alot of what's been proposed today for this new immigration law, Ireland can already do, that's the kicker but our government is so incompetent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Barry Andrews on Virgin Media argument seems to be the UK bad and Tories bad.

Nothing about Ireland.

He represents the current government so well.

Arrogant, smug and out of touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why aren't the do gooders in Labour and Social Democrats up in arms about this EU deal?

Advertisement