Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Begrudgers... that's a new one. But yes I suppose a lot of people do begrudge the reckless mishandling of this. A lot of people do begrudge the two tier society where asylum seekers are given medical cards while Irish cancer patients are refused one. A lot of people do begrudge that the government have done nothing to fix the housing crisis while there is seemingly endless amounts of money to line the pockets of rich hotel owners. A lot of people do begrudge that they are having to go and protest when they would rather not have to. Well done on not begrudging any of the above. It won't save you though, if this continues all of us will pay an enormous price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭batman_oh

It doesn't help either when the government and cheerleaders are pretending that all immigration is exactly the same so they can label the majority of the country far right. Unfortunately this is further feeding the scrotes who will take it out on all immigrants.

Their handling of this is an absolute disgrace all round, and trying to silence people has just made it worse (so surprising).

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Crime comes from everyone all shapes and sizes and nationalities but even you can admit that if here legally they can be identified and criminal history traced and clearance vetting from their home country checked applied if needed, it is hard enough on AGS managing our own home grown criminals than bringing in more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭suvigirl

If they are here legally? I presume you are insinuating that asylum seekers are 'illegal '?

There is no vetting or checks on UK or EU citizens. How would we know anything about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭gerogerigegege

we've done enough for the world. time to stop. no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Watching Newtownmountkennedy again today i think this movement is definitely reaching middle Ireland and the Govt won't just be able to lable people "far right" much longer.

The Govt staying the course is going to absolutely put them in direct conflict with people.

Seen a poor young Garda down there getting doxxed ttoday. All the poor fella is doing is just following orders. Some clown jogger up recording him trying to get him to drop Harris in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The fundamental problem you have with your whole premise is this.

If an asylum seeker arrives without documents and can't be identified that is a criminal act before they even touch Irish soil whether you like it or not.

Now, you'll say "some need to do this". Maybe, a tiny minority. However, the issue is the country is left exposed to those who don't need to do that and some will be criminals. It also raises the issue of the character and calibre of people coming here.

Right now over 80% are coming from the UK so they've failed there or believe they will and thus we are getting the worst of it coming here. We are not getting skilled people coming here as asylum seekers. We are getting those who will in all likelihood be a perpetual generational strain on the state.

All the social problems will flow from that.

You think it's bad now how some are reacting - wait until you see the next recession. It's all going to boil over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Large crowds attending the protest in Newtown Mount Kennedy.

But I am sure if here legally, a check could be done if needed no matter where from

Just an example but we have heard of UK and EU arrivals causing RTAs and previous convictions in their home countries are brought up in their cases

Actually Ukrainian RTAs here on the increase

Who is doing a check? And for what reason? Previous convictions are given after someone is convicted. So what does it matter?

• Advertisement

I don't doubt for a second that some will be criminals. But so are UK and EU citizens that are living in this country. So why is it only previous convictions of asylum seekers are an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sekiro

Love this logic.

Sure,we've already got loads of criminals here so why not bring in even more?

The future of Ireland is bleak and this situation is only going to get worse.

I can only imagine that people like yourself will never be truly affected by it and will just slink off into the shadows when it all goes horribly wrong.

Anyone who thinks there is going to be a positive outcome from just letting more and more people come here is kidding themselves on.

Its only going to get worse. The people out protesting now are simply ahead of the curve. They know what's coming and they are honest enough to speak out about it while the rest of us are really just hoping "it won't affect me".

We get to post online about how Ireland should be open to all and pat ourselves on the back for being such welcoming hosts.

We get to feel a sense of moral superiority over "racists".

I think that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭creeper1

What is the story with the opposition party Sinn Fein?

They are rowing back their commitment to the hate speech laws trying to claim they were against it all along when it is a fact, easy to look up, that they voted for it.

Now they are talking about "sovereignty" and not being in favour of the eu migration pact.

Will they please set out their stall clearly? Do they want to continue their buzz words of people "fleeing" and "legal and moral obligations" or is it time to emulate Denmark for a zero policy.

Of course they will do the usual fudge trying to walk both sides of the line talking about only genuine cases.

Nobody is 'bringing in criminals ' and Those people trying to paint all asylum seekers as criminals is making things worse.

can anyone explain what the difference is between a UK,EU citizen or an asylum seeker, who all have previous convictions?

Of course not.

Its the same with legalising drugs or refusing to deal with shoplifters etc. Its all good as long as youre not the elderly woman being robbed by some junkie and you're not the young kid behind the till at Spar getting a beating from a scumbag who steals daily from the shop.

In some parts of Ireland we already have enough dodgy characters that the law is very soft on. Bringing in even more isn't going to somehow make the situation better.

People who don't think it will ever affect them personally just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭prunudo

you want to see the doxxing on the other side. People who are at peaceful protests are being reported to their employers by trolls. Disgusting behaviour, whatever happened to having a free and opposing opinion, and these are the people who parroted the be kind movement.

I bet posters don't even bother to click any links you did supply. couple of German websites that could say anything, not that you linked the 'facts' about 100% of sexual assaults being committed by foreign nationals, well of course you didn't, because your German statistics have been shown to be false on this thread previously.

Posting false or misleading information only inflames the situation further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I didn't bother looking at all of the stats linked there... One link went to a blank page. The next to a report on post-covid crime rates where I didn't see any mention of immigration.

More fake stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Sobering facts.

A deluge of sexual violence against indigenous Europeans has been a depressing feature of mass immigration of the scale and character we are now being subjected to.

If you keep an eye on the courts, the first green shoots of the same is emerging here.

The products of violent and misogynistic cultures are more likely to behave with violent misogyny. Their aggression is amplified when they are given access to a foreign community, an "other" who they despise to target.

I remember a young North African being interviewed in Amsterdam. He felt emboldened to tell the interviewer that rapes and sexual assaults on native Dutch women were a trivial matter because they were likely to be sexually active already.

These are the mindsets flooding into Europe and, now, Ireland.

Post edited by DeadHand on

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

legal migration fine and needed,illegals here with no papers or any documentation should be sent away with a kick up the hole.

Why do far left and wokies have a problem with this simple fact.and so intent on destroying our culture and country

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm not sure can anyone answer these 2 questions

1x How can we stop migrates from the UK via NI?
    Harris said legislative will need to change but I'm confused on what we can do?

2x How can existing Ukrainians still get paid 220 euro a week? I know they've stopped it for new arrivals but I just cannot understand why it's not stopped across the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Any truth that Ukrainian men are being denied consular services abroad as they are trying to get them back to fight in Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

I clicked into that and it opens perfectly, is written in English and is from the Washington post.

Oh dear, I fear we may have lost the false n fake stats posters Liz.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Aontú leader Peadar Tóibín has called for an “Irish Sea border in terms of people” that would subject asylum seekers arriving in Northern Ireland to the same passport checks as Irish airports and ports.

Tóibín said a faster and more efficient system was needed to “differentiate between those who need help and those who don’t”, after it emerged that more than 80 per cent of people seeking asylum in Ireland come from the UK in more of one year. the land border with Northern Ireland.

Speaking at the Aontú Ardfheis in Maynooth, Tóibín said his party wants to see a “respectful debate” on migration and warned that there are “bad actors” across the country who are “seeking to foment trouble” and “harvest discontent” in the affair.

“We are the party that has previously raised the issue of immigration in the Dáil. We want a respectful, compassionate debate but also common sense,” said Tóibín.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Discussing with a UK mate and the more we talked the more I thought to myself, could the EU be on board with over running Ireland.

There are two things that are pissing them off right now

- Non contribution to Nato defence Pact

- Our low rate of Corp Tax and defiance around it

There's another there aswell.... trying to remember...

• Advertisement

Its behind a paywall, is from 2016 & who knows if it has any statistics in it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement