Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭suvigirl

That makes sense.

Definitely the only way to deal with asylum seekers is on an EU wide level, but our own border will be the weak point. I guess the fact we are not in schengen means it won't be an issue for the rest of the EU.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Simon Harris has a bit of a pickle here. If he hitches his wagon to O'Gorman & McEntee and their clownshow this week he will get exactly the same obliteration at the next election Varadkar would have. If he doesn't he will collapse the Government and won't become Taoiseach.

Exactly how many FF/FG voters in 2020 voted for the state acquiring properties at far above their fair value in the middle of the State's most acute housing shortage for asylum seekers? Exactly what political rewards are there in this?

I am not alone in wishing for a political party in Ireland who caters to someone other than the median Soc Dems voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,003 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The next general election is hardly going to be decided by immigration. The opposition parties like SF, Labour and the Soc Dems aren't proposing anything radically different on immigration to what FF/FG/Greens are. You could definitely see a big rise in support for independents, but they are unlikely to be part of the next government.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Irish Times monthly polling on issues that the electorate are concerned about now has immigration at #1 and its lead is growing over housing in #2.

It would be disingenuous to dismiss immigration as a massive factor in the next election, especially given the amount of individual cases of backlash to ROG’s dumpster fires around the country (Roscrea, Oughterard, Westport, Rosslare etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭creeper1

Those pair of idiots at the press conference talking about handing turn key accommodation to arrivals.

So you slave away with 400k in debt for a house to see your African neighbour rock up and be handed everything for free.

They need to resign immediately. Immediately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Again Helen MacEntee mentioned climate change as a push factor for third world migration. It's like she's been brainwashed by Greens and environmental NGO's to keep parroting this.

There is NOTHING in any legal text that allows for climate change as a valid reason to claim asylum. If she was in any way competent, she should follow up her sentence that climate change is a push factor with "Of course, those people will be refused asylum on those grounds and deported immediately". But she doesn't.

It is total made-up BS that she and Varadkar have been spinning the last 6 months - trying to soften up middle Ireland to just take it. We are completely fed up of the Government lies and misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭dmakc

I'd say someone could fill an hour long highlight reel on Helen McEntee and her favourite misinformation buzzword.

The public's opinions on ambiguous referendums, hate speech bill and IPAs, it's all misinformation. Helen and Rod are literally just trying to see out the final year of this flawed government term, they don't give a damn for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Climate change directly isn't grounds for asylum.

Where climate change, and worsening poverty alongside it, leads towards political violence, conflict and persecution it is.

So it's reasonable to expect migration linked to climate change to increase, and I think most people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

Leo read the tea leaves n jumped ship. If Helen n Roderick are re-elected we deserve another 5 years of this.

The one off children's hospital cost will be chickenfeed compared to what refugees will cost yearly.

• Advertisement

But how would immigration as a topic impact on people's vote? The opposition parties have pretty similar views on immigration to the Govt and many constituencies won't even have an independent candidate running on an anti-immigration ticket. So, saying immigration is going to decide the general election result and the next government seems a bit fanciful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Damien360

You are twisting your own words comrade. You said immigration was not a election issue. He quoted an Irish times poll showing it most certainly is. Now you say it won't make a blind bit of difference as all the parties are the same so not an issue. God help the candidates that knock on doors and wait for a reply instead of running away. It's still an election issue and his point stands.

I wouldn't disagree on it coming up a lot on the doorstep or in the general election TV debates, but it's difficult to see how it could impact on the result of the election. We're fairly hamstrung on a lot of immigration laws and are tied to them by international agreements : EU freedom of movement laws and international refugee law for example. It does seem a case of where populist rhetoric comes up against hard reality. Any party which claims it can radically change Irish immigration law will be lying to their voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

You’re missing the point again.

We may have certain legal ties that bind us. What we have to do is examine those coming in, stop taking every damn sob story as gospel and then kick out those who aren’t meant to be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Unfortunately it looks as though there's plenty will fall for those lies. 'Build that wall!'

I get the impression though that for a lot of people it's more the waste around immigration and private hotels is the issue, that and shortage of services in rural areas.

I think there's a lot too who might have sympathized with the anti-immigrant movement, but are put off the populist hard-borders stuff now by the carry on at the protests/rioting and by being horrified at what a deterrent approach, such as tents and scabies in the snow, actually looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This is not true.

Housing as opposed to accomodation is only provided when people are accepted as refugees. Or likely to be. Not to those who are being fast tracked.

Also while people are anxious about proposals as regards state housing you and others here are making very great assumptions if you think that the majority of people do not support refugees anymore.

What polls I have seen are saying that people are not happy with too many from outside RU coming in but are still supportive

A recent, large ESRI poll measuring attitudes and comparing them over the last number of years actually shows an increase generally in public support here.

I know people here would like to think that they are representing the majority, but statistics show that is not the case.

It is no harm that people can discuss freely what they feel here, and I am sure many would echo the worry and feelings of anger at the present government, over housing in particular, but NONE OF US can make the assumption that this translates to... ' we speak for the majority' here unless there are facts and figures to back that up.

Another disingenuous post. We are not discussing immigration - which I would say most but the genuine hard right are supportive of. We are not talking hard working immigrants both EU and non-EU who fill a need, come here legally and we know who they are (if in possession of an IRP card it must be on their person at all times - I’d doubt there are any kind of checks, but that’s the rule).

These people are a benefit to the country and they contribute.

We are talking economic migrants bypassing the employment visa programme; paying traffickers to be smuggled in and expecting to be given everything immediately; claiming to be in need of “protection” but a cursory questioning and their story would fall apart - those.

They cost us.

If you think the majority support the latter I’m afraid you’re very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Another disingenous post. Only yesterday the Government said it would purchase turnkey property to put up international protection applicants. Claiming this is accommodation but not housing is a bit like Bill Clinton saying he did not have sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky.

I think people deliberately misinterpreting those who have pointed out flaws in policy show how Ireland ended up with hundreds of asylum seekers on its streets. There's just a wilful refusal to face reality with some people. They'll keep trying to twist words and come out with puerile arguments instead.

"Sure didn't the Irish go all over the world, and if the Government would only build houses twould all be fine etc'' repeat endlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭DaithiMa

Maybe a referendum on O'Gorman, McEntee and the EU's hare brained schemes would prove what the 'majority' of people think. This strange belief you have that the 'majority' are in favour of what has been going on is not rooted in reality.

I'm sure everyone will be delighted that Roderic won't be taking the 'last hotel' in their towns, what a generous gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I don’t know how it can be interpreted as far right to say that social solidarity around the issue collapsed. There have been riots, arson, blockades and verbal abuse of asylum seekers.

That’s all disgraceful, but it is happening. It is real.

I don’t really know how anyone could say social solidarity on the issue hasn’t collapsed. Two years ago none of that was happening, it’s all over the country now.

To note that it’s happening isn’t to condone the law breaking.

Most people can understand that. Some can’t and some pretend they don’t.

• Advertisement

Check the age profile of those allegedly involved in recent 'incidents' though - it's mainly people in their 40s and 50s. There doesn't seem to be much evidence that younger people are on board with any of it (which does offer a good deal of hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,280 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So whats your position on immigration?

Its hard to work out from your posts what you think should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Opinion polls & surveys have shown the exact opposite - a higher proportion of young people have immigration as their top concern compared with older people.

I imagine because older people are more comfortable in their home, while younger people realize the huge impact on themselves personally of fake asylum seekers on a very tight marginal supply of housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You just need to take a look at what's happening in the UK to see how this will go for us.

The UK are importing in massive numbers the world's least productive people (economically speaking) and providing them state accommodation in most expensive areas of the world. Meanwhile the pressure on state services grows, while the burden of taxation on those who are working remains at the highest level since WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The Independent also do a monthly tracking poll which had immigration 4th behind Housing, Cost of living and healthcare. Immigration had actually seen a 10% drop on the previous month to 23% and housing was by far the biggest issue at 48%.

immigration impacts healthcare and housing tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

As opposed to the Irish Times? That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Would you mind explaining the pic? Seems to be created by someone called @jjuiceice8882, you have no links to anything official. Where has the data on social housing come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Based on the UK ONS data. Our equivalent to the CSO. The link is in the bottom right of the image.

• Advertisement

Youll have no problem posting a link then.

Cos what you posted was just a picture of something someone put on their Twitter account

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement