Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Genuine question.

Is there any IPA centres over the south side? Like places that have been refurbished and opened for new arrivals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Where did I do that? You can point that out I'm sure.

It's nothing to do with 'scoring points ' it's merely pointing out the lies that are posted here daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

And yes I agree poor areas, cheaper land, but as I have just outlined above, well served.

Haven't a clue about Malahide Portmarnock etc I know the Deerpark hotel in Howth was used until last summer.

About those costs of building and services...

They have been built already.

More health centres and doctors than I have even listed in my post above there which you asked for previous to this.

Maybe read it.

Priorswood is next to Clonshaugh!

Northern Cross will be used also.

Clare Hall.

Aren't these ' young men "?

Are you thinking they will require a lot more medical services for some reason?

You are being a bit obtuse at this stage because I know what services are in the area as I have shown they are more than up to it. Would be better served than some of the older areas where there are less facilities and an older population .

Whether the people will accept the refugees with the misinformation being shoved down their throats by certain others not from the area I don't know, we will see.

As to the rest, maybe you can look it up yourself? I'm tired now, Goodnight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah, dunno where he got that idea from, only 85% arriving at airport now without passport.

In ngo clown world that's known as a proportion! Keep building paddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is their any similar examples of hundreds of irish men being pushed into somewhere overnight?

I would imagine in that scenario their would be locals upset and protesting.

I would think the main reason people have concerns is because of pressure on services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Apparently a couple of Dubs on benefits were seen on a street corner in Kilburn drinking sometime in the last 50 years - so we have to take a quarter of the third world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's mad, you're actually trying to defend a system of accommodating illegals in what is basically a large shed right in the heart of a community which struggles for resources, and making out that an area has enough medical and Police capacity to support the sudden influx of hundreds of IPA's! Honestly I think some of you have lost any sense of perspective here!

The particular Coolock warehouse we're told is being prepared for 500 IPA's but that could easily rise to 1000, plus there's another large vacant warehouse nearby that's a potential site for another 1000, not to mention the 100's in the hotels in Clonshaugh..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Sure thousands of unemployed men, probably 80% of whom we have no idea who they are, with nothing to do all day hanging around. I mean think of the benefits. They'll be filling our hospital jobs in no time

Are you saying then that the flow of undocumented is only coming through Dublin airport, do you have the figures for Cork, Shannon, Belfast, Dublin Port, Belfast Port, more than one way into the Republic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There is a need for realism on all sides for sure. If more people arrive looking for asylum there is going to be more pressure on housing, that's obvious.

The extra housing required is not going to be there, as much housing as can be built is being built. There is also a serious economic impact for areas that relied on tourism also. And I think businesses that are losing out are seen as expendable, their staff aren't wealthy and have no clout, not like the IT sector for example.

For a lot of people in Ireland there are very serious downsides to what has happened.

Personally, I do believe we were right to accommodate many Ukrainians, although the benefits should have been more in line with other countries. But we need a deterrent now to stop people coming as economic migrants but posing as refugees. Again, there is no reason that should be controversial, it's common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

How can people be contributing to the housing lists and not making it worse

Stat online today - less than 11,000 properties for sale in the country. 500 people a week - even if we forget our own homeless (like some parties would like to) - that's barely 5 months of arrivals.

The number coming in currently is not sustainable and helps no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭JPCN1

One in Ballyogan and another in Blackrock being converted presently to take 350. Im sure there are more in DL…

It is helping a number of people financially.

It is also helping a number of people who think leaving people living in tents is helping them.

But I agree overall that very few people are positively affected.

I don't know but iv seen it said many times on here.

Oh it's only temporary that a few hundred people are in a building.

I am not sure do they disappear into the wild and never require housing after moving on from temporary accomadation.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

I dont think thats the main concern, its more to do with not wanting hundreds of undocumented men many of whom dont respect womens/ childrens rights landing in a community.

Thats the truth though its frowned onto say it.

I mean some posters are actually asking why locals had no problem with extra housing being built so why would they have a problem with hundreds of single men being parachuted in overnight, this level of debate is going on because people are being intimidated out of voicing their fears out loud.

Hundreds of new houses apartments are welcome if its housing for your children and grandchildren, hundreds of men from countries that treat women worse than animals is not a benefit, again this issue needs to be sorted at the EU level.Its corroding society and leading to huge distrust in the democratic system, more and more communities will take matters into their own hands and we cant have this.

Post edited by maisie45 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

No.

I am not defending the Darndale one as you say.

Its gas. You asked me about facilities and services which I replied to and told you there were ample. Which there are.

But you weren't happy with that.

What you were trying to do was get me to say what you have said that I have said above.

BUut that would be a LIE because that is not what I said.

In fact I said I thought the second one was too much in the area on not one post but two but you conveniently ignore that. Sheer numbers.

And I don't have the gen re gardaí in the area but haven't heard that the local AGS have come out saying they can't cope.

Maybe there are other posters who know more about that side of things who would oblige you.

Now if you want to misconstrue someone who is replying back to your... questions, someone who knows and lives in the area, I suggest you go and look up these answers yourself in future.

Or you can just continue as before, posting away with incorrect information, but sure as long as people thank your rants and you get it out of your system, isn't that the main thing?!

It is unfortunate that two posters with good local knowledge are being told they don't know what they are talking about here.

Almost as if you don't want to hear anything except negativity?

• Advertisement

Sure you were presenting as facts the reason why homes in the old Cadbury lands were not being built because of local objections which was blatantly untrue.

Then listed a healthcare facilities not even built yet to suggest that the capacity in the area is more than sufficient, therefore suggesting that inserting 100's of new arrivals into the area wouldn't be an issue.(with no links/details on the capacity being injected into the local system)

And you now tell me to "ask someone else" about the Garda resources available in the Coolock station because you haven't a clue.

All you have is what you googled.. Not knowledge that a local would have. So no, I think its you that are scrabbling around here..

What you said about Cadbury is just a load of tosh brought up to ensure nothing gets built there.

We've had very convenient frogs spawning and Brent Geese all over Ireland diverting planning for unwanted building for years, and I am not against that but lets be honest.. If people wanted those apartments that would never have been brought up.

Fact is the area has more than enough built and being built between up further and at the top of Oscar Traynor.

And people like that park.. its very pretty. Even Northsiders are entitled to have a bit of nice green stuff, you know.

Only one of the health services out of a long list is not built.. All the rest are up and running and gping very well.

About the Gardaí in Coolock I said..

"And I don't have the gen re gardaí in the area but haven't heard that the local AGS have come out saying they can't cope.

Maybe there are other posters who know more about that side of things who would oblige you."

So saying in bold

you  haven't a clue.

says more about you than me I think and your posting style!

And yes I won't spout bs about something I don't know about.. Unlike some.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭creeper1

Coolock says no and it's really that simple.

The people aren't having it. And why should they?

They are blocking entrance to the site.

The 3am bussing migrants in like they did at santry by the government won't fly either because they're not even going to allow work to prepare the site.

By the way those actions in santry were a disgrace. Almost unbelievable.

The government will need to go back to the drawing board and figure something out because this is not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I don't agree with people taking the law into their own hands at all.

But the reality is that is what's happening all over the country, and has been for a year. Places burned out, blockades, abuse of asylum seekers.

As well as the soft talk about welcoming people and the Irish having emigrated, the Government need to show a realistic plan for dealing with people abusing the process and to introduce some deterrent for the chancers. It's the only way to quell the public mood.

Things are pretty bad already, the law has been broken loads of times. But things could get a lot darker yet and it's only a matter of time until the public start supporting very far right politicians, if our centrist ones won't deal with the issues.

It doesn't suit some people, but immigration is a major political issue now, it ties in with other issues also, and it could well define the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Do those people speak for Coolock though? It seemed to be mostly the local skangers and dole types on that march on Sunday. I would hazard a guess the vast majority of people in the area would want nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭prunudo

There's a similar protest happening in my locality. Normal people protesting against dumping close on 200 men in tents, in a field, meanwhile local facilities and services are stretched to breaking point with the on going building of houses.

So just because some protests attract trouble makers, and the media and government like to protray everyone as far right, make no mistake, the majority of people don't want these ipa centre's.

There's also a silent cohert who won't attend protests incase they are associated with the scumbags. Just because more locals aren't there, doesn't mean they are behind the plans

Dole types ? You can see their benefit status from a video ? Or are you just doing what you’ve accused others of - and applying lazy stereotypes??

@Sunny Disposition

I agree with a lot of your post there.

The handling of all of this has been very poor.

No communication, no organised meetings to discuss anything or allay fears of those in the community. Not even a related press conference.

Complete arrogance in the belief that they are right and everyone else by default is wrong.

I understand they don't want to give a platform to' those who drape themselves in the flag ' but everyone else needs to hear what is the plan?

Is there a plan? How long are people going to be there and what support services are available to support these communities as well as the refugees?

What happens re housing and schools and jobs down the line?

These are all legitimate questions and in a functioning democracy there should be a non protest, organised way for communities and all individuals to ask questions and get answers and assurances that they are being listened to and their needs are important and being looked after.

If it was anywhere else O' Gorman would be sacked for his extremely poor handling and downright inability to bring people along.

I don't believe there is a plan after all this time because if there is why aren't they selling it.

Or else he is just so swamped and too stupid to put the hand up.

In the start I felt the government other parties were letting him sink for political reasons. Get rid of the Greens?

Maybe that was so, but it is becoming increasingly obvious that unless sonething radical happens.. change of minister, a new ' plan'.. this is going to bring down the government.

Can't sack RoG without Ryan's approval and he is supporting his pal all the way. So they will pull out, no harm there. But that means a GE.

The sooner the better really.

This crowd are doing none of us any favours at this stage. And that is across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Yep and it's also the assumption that everyone has typical 9 to 5 working hours

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement