Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did being woke become a bad thing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

It was a traditional Chinese dress. Do you seriously think a person who puts on traditional Chinese or Japanese clothing, because they like how it looks, has proven themselves to be a racist and should apologise and hang their head in shame?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

The Woke frequently brand any opinion they don’t like as “ hate “ , Aontu leader Peadear Toibin is being accused of offering “ dangerous “ opinions this past few days for highlighting the number of people who have arrived in Dublin airport with no passports.

do you view Toibin as having engaged in the politics of hate ?

One can accuse anyone of engaging in “ bad faith “

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Thats going to seriously mess with my Jujitsu, Judo and other martial arts, if so :)

I remember my daughter went out at Halloween as Moana at a young age because she loved the show and the character and the story. Pretty much zero people had any issue with it in real life - including the intentional darkening of her own skin and the cultural tribal outfit. Mentioned it online at some point and it bothered quite a number of people there.

In fact in my own personal (anecdote not evidence alert) life I have yet to encounter any such issues on any topic in the off line world. Least of all around race or cultural appropriation. It is solely people online I have seen who have had concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,392 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In a free democracy he has every right to espouse his views. Something of course which the woke abhors. :) they hate criticism and opposition. Don’t like when others use their freedom to express views in opposition to theirs, hence the ‘canceling’ shtick of theirs….The double standards, haha wow.

he’s one of the most respected, caring and intelligent psychologists…and outrightly brave.

On the personal attack ? what drugs did he become addicted to ? Clonazepam I heard…. A ‘prescribed’ medicine to help with seizures and panic disorders. So your post is somewhat disingenuous. :) “former drug addict and bore”… wasn’t it ? ok Robbie 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Yes it is just because she bought a nice dress. Why do you think it was that they ganged up on her and blasted her all over the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

🤣

🤣

🤣

🤔

Oh wait was that post serious or as a parody?

You post,

In a free democracy he has every right to espouse his views. Something of course which the woke abhors. 

then you post

On the personal attack 

in relation to my opinion.

So are you seriously attacking me for an opinion or am I allowed to hold it?

But more bullying of "the woke" is also what you want right?

As far as I can see you are arguing a kind of double-negative position.

You don't offer any defense of the stupidities of wokeness or cancelling but you are here to tell us that anyone who opposes these things is boring, has too much time on their hands, is being just as sensitive and offended as the original people who created a public row, is secretly bigoted etc., etc.

So you are effectively anti-anti-woke.

That's a great position to be in because then you don't have to put your own weight of opinion behind anything too absurd or silly, just snipe at anyone who dares to object to absurd and silly incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Of course not, but no reasonable people are accusing him of hate speech.

I was just reading where the poet from Joe Biden's inauguration, Amanda Gorman, has been banned from some school that bastion of anti wokeness which is Florida.

Plenty of daft opinions and intolerance from all sides. Generic terms like Woke however don't mean anything. Most people in the real world are capable of a range of opinions.

• Advertisement

You are spot on, on one thing. I don't put my weight of opinion behind anything absurd and silly. It would be great if many others could follow suit.

I call hypocrites, hypocrites and yet I get criticised. I call out absurdities all the time yet here you are seemingly upset.

Like the absurdity of advising people that the only time to give advice is when you have your house in order.

And who was giving this sage advice that the only time you should only give advise is when your house is in order.

Well wasn't it drug addicted hypocrite himself mr jordan perterson who very much didn't have his own house in order while offering his sage advice.

With all that absurdness and hypocrisy in mind, yes I will call out anyone when offering forward mr peterson as a source of wisdom for the ages.

So yes I will continue to call out absurdities and hypocrisies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,390 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The problem is the white idiots who culturally approriated the term in order to validate their own ego.

Woke nowadays doesn't mean anti-racist or anti-fascist, it means screaming it from the rooftops and twitter accounts because you have to SHOW poeple who not racist you are.

And then there are the morons on the other side who can't tell the difference between this and someone who just believes in human rights without going OTT about it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Woke is often a short hand term for those perceived to be Uber progressive

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭thegame983

The problem with the woke is they are often insufferable twats and come across as mentally deranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

This thread is really showing that what “woke” means is not common knowledge at all. Or at least what it’s meant to mean anyway.

Ah yeah fair and balanced on both sides, eh!

👆🤣🤣🤣

Here is the real definition.

Woke is used as insult for anything that annoys the utterer of said insult could be as simple as non standard gender norms, anti sexism, anti racism, slightly **** liberal all to way to whatever conspiracy the woke utterer is believing in these days.

Don't believe we should all drive 6 litre trucks with flame throwers blowing fire out the back, well then your probably woke to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭thegame983

No offense mate but you come across as mentally deranged.

mod

Warning issued - uncivil

My old dead Mammy always used to say if you have to resort to insults you have lost the argument.

But maybe she was woke before woke woke or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Some opinions ARE dangerous. Opinions can lead to actions and not all actions are honourable.

Crack open a history book some time and look at some of the actioned opinions that certain people engaged in, especially the fascists, and you might realise just how dumb your sentence sounds. 😉

• Advertisement

Virtually any opinion can potentially lead to violence but in the overwhelming majority of cases it doesn’t

what you guys are advocating for is no different to a Minority Report ( Tom Cruise movie) pre crime policy

Don't double down on your stupid sentence sonny. Have some sense and realise what you said was, at best, ill-thought out. 😉

Also, who's "you guys"? 🙄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,709 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can you provide a single quote to back this up?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Since nobody can stop people forming opinions you must mean expressing opinions is dangerous.

For good or ill the Western liberal argument since the beginning of the Enlightenment has been that by allowing free expression of opinion it would mean that superior ideas could win in debate and the poor ideas would be shown up.

The brittle authoritarianism that you're in favour of is built around things which are contentious and unpopular. For instance trans ideology is very new, is not super popular, and so to 'protect' it with a Brezhnev-lite controlled speech regime is actually quite a bold social experiment.

People are so independent-minded now, compared to say a century ago, that I doubt that even suppressing speech is going to really work the way it would have in the past.

It was the opinions of certain people that led to the Jews of Europe being wiped out in their millions only 80 years ago. Splitting hairs about the dangers of some people's opinions and whether the going to action them or not is a redundant endeavour.

The brittle authoritarianism that you're in favour of

What is this shit?

In the space of just posts, two posters have made ridiculous assumptions about who I'm supposed to be standing with and what I'm supposed to be in favour of.

Fkn 'ell 🤣

@Tony EH 'have made ridiculous assumptions'

Soz. Must have mixed you up with a different poster

You’re desire to suppress opinion is pretty clear and you’re prickly response shows we have you’re number fairly correctly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,709 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And yet you can't provide a single shred of evidence.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement