Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did being woke become a bad thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Virtually any opinion can potentially lead to violence but in the overwhelming majority of cases it doesn’t

what you guys are advocating for is no different to a Minority Report ( Tom Cruise movie) pre crime policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,756 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Don't double down on your stupid sentence sonny. Have some sense and realise what you said was, at best, ill-thought out. 😉

Also, who's "you guys"? 🙄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can you provide a single quote to back this up?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Since nobody can stop people forming opinions you must mean expressing opinions is dangerous.

For good or ill the Western liberal argument since the beginning of the Enlightenment has been that by allowing free expression of opinion it would mean that superior ideas could win in debate and the poor ideas would be shown up.

The brittle authoritarianism that you're in favour of is built around things which are contentious and unpopular. For instance trans ideology is very new, is not super popular, and so to 'protect' it with a Brezhnev-lite controlled speech regime is actually quite a bold social experiment.

People are so independent-minded now, compared to say a century ago, that I doubt that even suppressing speech is going to really work the way it would have in the past.

It was the opinions of certain people that led to the Jews of Europe being wiped out in their millions only 80 years ago. Splitting hairs about the dangers of some people's opinions and whether the going to action them or not is a redundant endeavour.

The brittle authoritarianism that you're in favour of

What is this shit?

In the space of just posts, two posters have made ridiculous assumptions about who I'm supposed to be standing with and what I'm supposed to be in favour of.

Fkn 'ell 🤣

@Tony EH 'have made ridiculous assumptions'

Soz. Must have mixed you up with a different poster

You’re desire to suppress opinion is pretty clear and you’re prickly response shows we have you’re number fairly correctly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And yet you can't provide a single shred of evidence.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

So you want evidence that Tony desires extreme suppression?

Yes. A single quote will suffice. It'd be preferable to your smear attempt.

Yeah , I notice you employ this tactic all the time, pull the “ evidence please “ card trick , then when no smoking gun is presented, you instantly reply “ so nothing then “

you need a new gimmick

• Advertisement

So you were just making it up. Thanks for confirming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When it started morphing into this shît….

one of my favourite fashion labels has set up on their website (but it’s not available to do yet) a section where you can soon ‘ rent ‘ clothing….

I had to check if it was April 1st… the reasons they claimed for doing it are ‘sustainability’… I have absolutely zero idea how it’s sustainable, to have a coat, that for about 8 months until it falls apart, will be travelling all over the place, getting packaged, repackaged, washed / re washed 😅 which it will have to have done after every wear and rental…. There is zero sustainable about that… in fact I can’t work out how the **** it’s profitable.. probably not, probably being used as a initial loss making marketing gimmick to reel in the dumb woke goons…. Kill the service after a year but you’ve reeled in the woke and some might stay if you throw up a few signs about sustainability and be throwing a few bob at x cause / y cause…woke punters might hang around ..😅

One of the good things about this brand was that it never involved itself in any sort of political, social or whatever crisis, in Mauritania, The Gabon or Ghana… there was never marketing about ‘awareness’ or ‘causes’.. They just designed, marketed and sold seriously nice and stylish clothing…still do but are standard punters going to be hit in the pockets now when purchasing clothes to pay for all this woke palaver ?…this outrageous nonsense ? 🫣

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Advertisement

Let me assure you, I'm perfectly calm. 🙂

But thanks for your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

What an inconsequential thing to be so wound up about.

Wow great job…..Not actually wound up, it’s a discussion 🤪

How is renting clothing somehow woke? Or does woke just mean annoying?

You've gone on a rant about some unnamed clothing label renting clothes, and how this is when woke morphed a bad thing.

It's gas how the people who have the most disdain for the performative activism of the 'woke' are so often the most dramatically emotional about the very same issues.

Have a read……. The reason behind it is ‘ sustainability ‘…. Which again, is BS… another buzzword from the wokerati playbook…..multiple more times packaged, repackaged again , transported etc… so it’s ‘less’ sustainable arguably, it’s less appropriate for the environment.

Woke - aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues. It’s not just racial or gender or whatever.

but the constant hypocrisy of woke…. Yes, reuse, resell clothing but it will be worse for the environment..

I'm not seeing anything to get triggered about. Just the usual outrage nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Renting clothes already happens???

Does the poster think we all own tuxes or something?

😂😂😂

Poor Black Tie and other tux rental companies. How DO they make any money?!

Also, there’s the service for woman to borrow clothes for an interview. Can’t remember what it’s called, but there’s one in Dublin.

What next? Will “the woke” ask you to ”recycle” your batteries? Grrrrr damn Wokies 😂😂

The latest company to start renting out clothes is ASOS: https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/fashion-beauty/womens-clothing/asos-clothes-rental-b2217007.html

(is that your favourite brand? I found them to be a bit above Penneys, but below Dunnes level for quality.)

anyway, there is a huge problem with (hate to generalise!) women in particular that buy an outfit once and throw it out. That’s no good for the planet or the wallet.

I like this idea, even if renting out clothes is a bit old fashioned.

yes, comparing a tux, that is a hard wearing clothing combo….that people mostly might wear once or twice in their lifetime, that can be dry cleaned, comparing that to renting everyday clothing worn regularly for ‘sustainability’ purposes …. Somewhat disingenuous but you know this 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭hkjohn

You don't need to shout out how “woke”

you are to be anti-racist and inclusive.

Problem is that many of the so-called "woke brigade" are like the Pharisees in the Bible or the Puritans during the 18th Century:

They seize every opportunity and are quick to point out the flaws - and call for the ostracism -' of others who are in reality no more (and in many cases less) flawed than they are themselves.

JK Rowling is an excellent example of a "woke" pile on.

Remark on the average self-proclaimed "woke" person's intolerance and you, too, will soon find yourself being "man/woman/theyhandled" to the front of the queue for cancellation.

Post edited by hkjohn on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I have never heard anyone ever claim to be woke. I'm happy to be proven wrong but I have yet to see it. The term is only used by people claiming to be anti-woke.

The JK Rowling thing was about Transgender issues. There are strong views on both sides but nothing to do with a generic woke thing, whatever that even means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

That post was hilarious again one of those if I didn't know it was serious I would say great job on the parody of an anti woke ranter.

Problem is that many of the so-called "woke brigade" are like the Pharisees in the Bible or the Puritans during the 18th Century:

Right form the start with the so-called "woke brigade" remark. Who are they so called by and who is being called this. Or is it all an imagined slight by an imaginary group the poster imagined. I would imagine so. Shush calm down john Lennon thats enough imagine for today.

They seize every opportunity and are quick to point out the flaws - and call for the ostracism -' of others who are in reality no more (and in many cases less) flawed than they are themselves.

Next the Poster creates a group which he can ostracise or other all while lamenting such act. Comedy gold. bravo. no wait its serious. 🤣😮😦😵

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I’m guessing most of you are too young to realise it, but there are genuine echoes of the type of superiority seem decades ago when it comes from might be called ‘woke’ advocates now.

Theres very strict intolerance for people who diverge from their approach to life. It’s not unlike the condescension to unmarried mothers once or people who were not religious.

There are also large dollops of hypocrisy and idiocy from commentators in the media. One publication recently published a piece of satire about fake tan as of it was someone’s genuinely held view. The same paper has a columnist who slammed lack of environmental consciousness but also wrote about travelling to New York to watch a film.

This whole stuff is not unlike the religious superiority seen pre 1990 because it is predicated on the idea that those who have certain attitudes are virtuous and others are lesser beings.

I find it amazing in a way, the type of social snobbery seen when I was a boy is still here, but the targets are different.

But of course there is a difference, isn’t there? The church would not tolerate those that were in any were different.

Heres a not complete list:

Homosexuals, Trans people, Bisexuals, Unmarried mothers, Mentally disabled people, a physically disabled people etc. etc.

the difference between “The woke” and the church is that “the woke” stand up for these people and their rights, where the church were more than happy to cast them into hell or homes.

None of these things can be changed about those people. Even unmarried mothers couldn’t have abortions, to become unmarried mothers in the first place!

What “The Woke” fight against are OPINIONS. Not liking trans people or even realising they exist, is an OPINION, same for homosexuals, bisexuals unmarried mothers etc. etc. Opinions change all the time. Being gay or an unmarried mother does not.

This is actually the worst take I have ever seen on boards, which is a high mark. Bravo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭thegame983

Thinking a man can transform into a women just by thinking it is also an opinion. It isn't reality.

It is reality. Backed up by science. This is not the thread to discuss the existence of trans individuals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Wokesters in the past were called cranks and their opinions were sensibly dismissed.

Problem is these days because the wokesters scream and shout so much companies and the media take the wokesters seriously and change policy base on their current cause du jour.

Being woke is a positive thing, studies in both the UK and US show this.

Trump lost the last election because he buried himself too deep in the gender war. DeSanctimonious is already falling into the same trap.

Do some lefties go OTT, sure, but mainly ranting and raving online.

Who shoots up schools?

Who gets a few more civil liberties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,637 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Jaysis is this still going?

Must mean the 'anti woke' crowd, or the people who enjoy discrimination and inequality are still trying to change the meaning of 'woke'

The question is, who would benefit from normal ' woke' people being represented as something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭PaoloGotti

I dislike the term, but for me someone that is “woke” is a narcissist that feigns compassion for anyone that is not a straight white male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭nachouser

Don't forget to check for any wokes under the bed when you finish up tonight, folks.

I found 3 blue hairs. I think I should be worried.

As a Brigadier General of the WOKE MOB I'm disgusted.

BLUE HAIRS???!!!! Only RED COMMUNISM HAIRS allowed in this house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I see the anti cancel culture crowd is now advocating cancelling north face for having an add with a drag queen saying come out in nature. Make it make sense please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭hkjohn

How do you cancel a company? Only the government or a judge, or certain bodies like the SEC or the London Stock Exchange, can suspend a company from trading.

I guess you're conflating a pile-on against a person and their losing their job with a bunch of (former) customers boycotting a product.

These corporations exist in a corporatist system facilitiated by net-zero interest rates where their main revenue is from big investors like BlackRock/Vanguard (hand in glove with governments). They are under huge pressure to take controversial pro-Establishment political stands. For displaying loyalty in these matters they get lots of funny money funnelled to them.

If they were totally independent businesses running on a traditional profit model they would run a million miles from any politics, or anything which could strongly displease any demographic, which is what happened in the past.

In the worst case scenario (for them) that one of these companies fails they will be broken up, their assets will be moved around to other big corporations, the senior people given new positions in other corporations and the show will go on.

If you care about pollution you should already be boycotting all big corporations anyway.

What I'm saying in the above comment is that if you can see past appearances and simply follow the money - look at how money is allocated in a corporatist system, - many of these 'private' 'indepenent' companies are more like deniable government contractors.

That is why they push official societal ideology (LGBTQ) in a way that seems to spite their own customers.

If they were reliant on their customers for revenue, would they be engaging in a cultural/spirutal war with these customers?

No of course not.

This is also why 'Go woke, go broke' is wrong. Most of these companies will not go broke. If they do, the assets can be funnelled around and re-distributed. The executives who have been loyal will not be sacrificed, they'll be allocated new jobs. Efficient, successful political systems do not punish loyalty obviously.

My feeling is that the majority of people don't care about a company going/not going woke, and then there are small groups that give a lot more/lot less support to companies that do take concerted ideological positions. I would also guess (maybe I'm wrong and that could well be just influenced by my own social and geographical bubble) that millennial and younger (and wealthier) demographics tend more towards the 'woke' side of the debate, and that alone could be enough for cynical companies to take the risk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement