Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

The sun came out here in Tralee just after 10am and it has been another glorious day of gin blue skies. Got to 23C, cooling nicely now. Nothing oppressive or no annoying humidity in this lovely weather. We really could get very used to this. It will be like another country when default returns.😨 But let's live in the fabulous sun soaked present 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is 25.3 the max high of the current warm speel during the past week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Full moon is stunning tonight.

11⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

GFS and ECM both showing rain for next weekend. Typical, as I have family visiting! I know it's outside the 5 day window of reliability so could change, but it will have to break eventually and I'll find it very difficult to say goodbye to this spell whenever that happens.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Grand....I'm off to Greece/Kos for 2 weeks next Saturday! 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

My weather app filled with rain now from next weekend on. Farmer's rejoice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I see the ECM was showing rain bands but backed off considerably on the latest runs, some chance of a few thunderstorms it seems but nowhere certain, big difference now between the ECM and the GFS, ECM much warmer , even showing it getting up to 27C or so. Will see if a clear trend develops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like the dry spell is coming on an end already all of a sudden, make the most of the good weather over the next 2 days it will become more unsettled as this coming week progresses although not alot of rain is expected. The Atlantic could be back in business as early as next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

Clear blue skies out there this morning and feeling quite warm already

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Hi gonzo, what are you talking about? Make the most of the nxt 2 days? Gem ecm ukmo are all bone dry right out to the end dis morning, gfs aggressive on its on as usual with bringing something in while even that looks insignificant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

There’s no denying the GFS is going for a breakdown of sorts by the weekend.

But I’d hold out for another 48hrs or so before buying it.

I think it’s 24 days now since last significant rain here in Kildare!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There will be showers around this week which is a big change on the past few weeks, not everywhere will get them, many places could stay completely dry but things overall do seem to be becoming more unsettled this week gradually. How unsettled next weekend becomes still remains to be seen as it's a week away.

I shouldn't be really showing ensemble graphs on this thread but here is the one for Shannon and we now have lots of rainfall spikes appearing from about Tuesday/Wednesday onwards.

Of course the GFS could end up being a bust and we see very little in the way of rainfall anywhere but this is definitely the wettest looking ensemble graph I've seen since end of April. The general trend overall is for things to break down over the coming week and what happens after that is still very much up in the air. One thing is certain it's going to stay very mild to warm throughout, certainly for eastern parts of the country the coming week will be warmer than the past week which has been on the cool side up until yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Another belter in Galway. It's relentless sun.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

You almost seem pleased Gonzo! 😂

My garden could do with some rain now to be fair. I planted a bunch of trees 2 weeks ago and they are struggling.

Mixed feelings about a possible breakdown. I love dry weather for extended periods of time but do love the odd thunderstorm, however I wouldn't be to sad over losing that naggin easterly wind, but I think we're over the worst of that at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

That Low next week could stay out West so the rain would be on West and Southwest.

Further East could be mid Twenties with a shower or two a day. Met Eireann has 18c for here next weekend.. AT NIGHT

Norwegian model not showing much rain for Sligo next week. Today is a couple of degrees hotter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sat out in the heat having my breakfast this morning.

If only we were guaranteed a spell of weather like this every summer.

Have to say over the past 10 years or so we've been doing quite well with extended spells of warm summery weather. We have 2013, 2018. Spring 2020 was fantastic and summer like at times despite summer 2020 being crap. Summer 2021 was also decent and last summer was really good too. This year already we have the current spell of dry and sunny weather and we are only 4 days into summer. I don't remember long spells of dry and relatively sunny weather this regular during the 80s, 90s and 00s. Plenty more warm weather to come over the coming 7 to 10 days if a little bit more unsettled towards next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

'coming to an end ALREADY'. It's not as if we had a 3 day dry spell 🙈

I really don't know what people expect from Irish weather, a 6 week dry spell.. Are they ever happy? It has to rain at some stage and the weather can easily take up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Farming update from M.E sounds good if you’re looking for a continuation of this weather

The past seven days were mostly dry countrywide with most stations having no rainfall and just 0.3mm recorded at Malin Head. The coming week will continue to be mainly dry with most of the country seeing very little or no rainfall and drought conditions are likely to increase in coverage.

Sunshine hours have been above normal nationwide this week. Sunshine hours ranged from just over 50 hours at Malin Head to over 97 hours at Shannon Airport, equating to between 221% and 254% of normal. There will be plenty of sunshine over the coming week so sunshine amounts will continue to be well above normal.

Quite a bit more clouds today but nothing of note. Ulster may see a shower later this evening.

25c in Mt Dillon. 22c in Sligo.

It was just over 20c this time yesterday so probably add 2c to yesterday's maxes everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

You'd have to wonder about lads hoping to call the end of this to score points on the internet.

Enjoy the glorious weather lads, we've had enough no shows of summer in our lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mount Dillon 25 degrees at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Met expecting this to continue now all through next week, few showers possible next weekend but staying warm 😁

Ah Gonzo, let us have our moment in the sun. You spent weeks complaining of deluges and the saturated land in the Spring thread and looking forward to dry weather. Then it was the easterly winds when the good weather arrived. Yesterday, the land was just drying out where you are but now you're looking forward to thunderstorms and have mixed feelings about a breakdown. It's almost as if you are never happy with the weather 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We went for a walk in Devils Glen in Wicklow this afternoon, absolutely glorious, we Irish are so lucky to live in such a beautiful country:

Every possible shade of green:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This weather simply improves the physical and mental health of a whole country. All that Vitamin D is really beneficial and everyone is in great form. No matter what happens over the rest of the summer, we know we have already had a nice burst of sunshine. I took this week off to make the most of it so I hope it lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

East Galway here. This spell of absolutely stunning weather has literally dragged my arse up off the floor. The relentless ( or at least, seemingly ) rain sheeting past the window over the winter months now feels like a distant memory.

I've near forgotten what Himself looks like, but I more or less know where he is outside by ear, be it strimmer, chainsaw, drill, mower etc. He's now the colour of a hazelnut and it's almost impossible to get him to come in :)

Tomatoes and peppers are loving the sunshine too. Long may it continue.

Advertisement