Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Thanks Sryanbruen, I knew we must be close to breaking records. It's a remarkable period of sunny weather.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Packrat

I've never seen drought like this in the extreme SW. Every small river and stream is dry.

I think there was a moisture deficit compared to normal even before the last few weeks.

Last appreciable rain here was around 13th or 14th which wax only a couple of mm and did nothing to replenish levels.

I'm in big trouble with water for cattle (if not my own house) in about a week.

Very worried.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cloudy most of 2nd half of day in Sligo. Didn't rain but went very black. Went to Rosses Pt and it was mostly sunny there. Notice in a SE airflow Sligo sees more cloud than East or Northeast situation. Clouds must build over the hills.

Got to 24c though so no one really cares.

Grass yellow and even brown under some trees now. Hear less and less lawnmowers whereas on day one of this last Monday it was constant lawnmowers. Everything's dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some great temperatures out West today. Even Knock Airport doing well,a location which is often cool and dull

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mulranny Co.Mayo this evening looking across at Croagh Patrick

• Advertisement

Warm sunny morning. Dawn Chorus woke me at 5am!! Robin and blackbird going crazy fighting over my front hedge territory.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A nice sunny morning here in Meath however it is a bit cooler again compared to recent days but nowhere near the chill of last week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A little bit of cloud now in Greystones drifting off the Irish Sea....left over UK muck!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well it looks increasingly likely the drought will be broken in many areas by Saturday. Will it be a short breakdown or prove to be something more sustained? I am not looking forward to an increase in humidity and sticky nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,868 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Nippy on bike this morning, feeling cooler in Dublin especially when sun goes behind clouds. Yesterday was glorious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Next week is looking like a flip around. More unsettled, cooler perhaps in western areas compared to recent values but considerably warmer in southern and eastern areas and a major increase in humidity and night time temperatures. Next week is looking like generally 18 to 24C but temperatures up to 26 or 27C are possible at times in some eastern and southern areas. Night time temperatures could get as mild as 15 or 16C at times. Will have a better idea by the weekend how next week is looking.

A long time now since a completely crap Summer. 2012 was our last one here. Even if this one goes belly up already Sligo has had 10 percent of the Summer roasting hot and sunny if ya count the last days of May. Today is day 9. We had a sunny day on the Sunday but it was only 16c that day so that hardly counts.

It doesn't look much below 20c until next Monday at least and then 16c by day and night here. Could be warmest June on record for the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,868 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Pretty sure 2020 was an awful summer no?

It was in most places but in Sligo we had some nice weather and a freakish 10 day spell in August when it was cold everywhere else. I'm only going on Summers I've experienced in Sligo. 2011 and 2012 were terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

After 2012 - 2015 rubbish, 2016 rubbish, 2020 rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Looks like it may heat up even further for next week, minus the nice cool evenings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheStonecutter

2016 was fairly average. 2017 was rubbish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭highdef

That would be great. Nothing more annoying than planning to have a late evening outside but then it turns out to be far too cold. Mild June evenings are quite unusual in Ireland although the unusually dry land may well help things for us this year.

The cool crap Summers will become rarer id say. Even if its cool and crap it will probably last only a few weeks like last June here while much of the rest of ye had heat we had 13c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

June 2016 was pretty good if I recall. Then it all went downhill similar to 2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Feeling a lot cooler now under the clouds on the East….

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Wore shorts up to work today in Dublin.

Burr, big boy trousers tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheStonecutter

2016 was a bit unusual in that it actually got above 30c in a couple of places in mid July but was otherwise dull with average rainfall. Normally the temperature getting above 30 is the hallmark of summer with extended good weather.

Looked at Dublin City Centre webcam and people have jackets on. Looks quite miserable there but at least ye don't have the mist we get here and ye can always have a scrap on the beach if yer too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Finally found this thread at last , it's been warm if not hot at times here in carrick , mid 20s the last few days but we do need some rain ,the grass is all burnt

There'll be plenty of rain by the end of the month. Showers every day will become the order of the day. As the heat builds and instability increases with waning high showers will be thundery in nature so midland locations will see plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Quite hot in Galway this afternoon. There are clouds and a nice breeze but it's still hot.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

cool and cloudy here in Meath, didn't think it would cloud up like this, was nice and sunny this morning but looks like the clouds are around for the rest of today. Currently only 14C.

Looking forward now to the end of this easterly as it should turn significantly warmer next week although it may be more unsettled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

14c, breezy, and completely overcast for hours now. Brutal out there compared to recent days.

Totally unexpected too. Whether the Irish Sea covers the coastal areas in cloud is a complete mystery to forecasters and even the hi-res models are struggling. The synoptics are largely static so the changes have been odd. Wed-Fri last week we had cloudy afternoons. Sat-Mon, not a single cloud. Today back to muck.

It's making me think all parts of the ME website are automated. I know the banner icons are awful. But I thought the text updates were manually done. So either they're trolling 30% (or more) of the population today or they need to have a sit down with their website staff and ask why they are not checking satellites...or if they are based in HQ in Glasnevin...looking out the window and actually providing their website with accurate summaries. The 1pm text update for Dublin still had sunny spells as the headline. It was overcast and dull by then. The national update at 3:17pm finally mentions persistent cloud on the east coast keeping it between 17-20c, which is miles off it and their x3 Dublin stations are reading 14, 14 and 15 degrees at 3pm.

Doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things in one way, once that cloud blanket came ashore the forecast for the day fell apart, and the majority of people probably get their one snapshot of a forecast either first thing in the morning or the night before. So accurate updates on the website during the day probably mean sod all, but would be nice to see. Anyway, hopefully tomorrow the Irish sea forgets to wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like the cloud on the east coast is thinning/clearing. Should be a fine evening. Sunny again in Greystones.

Advertisement