Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looking at cloud cover for the weekend these charts show cloud becoming more noticeable in the western half of the country but there should still be plenty of decent spells of sunshine in between some cloudy moments. Saturday may see clouds bubble up across western and northern areas but everywhere should still see some decent sunny breaks throughout the day.

Cloud cover may become slightly more extensive on Sunday with a few isolated showers developing in parts of the north and north-west but I feel most places will stay dry.

Monday could see an increased risk of showers in the northern third of the country and more general cloud cover, however the east and south may escape most of the cloud. Bare in mind these cloud charts can get it wrong very easily so the above is only a general guide.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

20.3C now at 11.37 here near Tralee, temperature climbing nicely, very calm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ascophyllum

I think this is day 7 now of wall to wall sunshine in Mayo, I don't know the exact temp here but when out of the NE breeze it is sizzling hot, the last 5 days anyway have been solid sunbathing days and the 5 before that were pretty nice t shirt days too. It hasn't rained here in 12 days and it will likely be a few more before it does. An absolutely glorious couple of weeks 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya nothing wet of note on the horizon until mid June at least. Could get cooler but High is nearby so extensive wet spells far off into the distance for now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Temp flying up here in Kerry near the coast, 21.7C now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

We don’t want our high moving to Greenland as it generally means a bad wet summer though I think Donegal (and Scotland) can benefit in that set up.

Cloud dissipating nicely now in the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Unlike other east coasters, I've been enjoying this spell at large and very happy the west is getting to enjoy some long overdue brilliant weather too. I wouldn't mind it a tad warmer though admittedly. Somebody said the sunsets have been wonderful, I agree! Just a collage of the sunrises/sunsets I've seen so far this period and a good bit more to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Cool and cloudy morning in south Co Dublin again.

On Wednesday the sun finally came out around 5pm. Yesterday it was around 4pm. Today it'll be about 3pm I'd say looking at the satellite. Maybe earlier. So it's getting slightly better!

This is Ireland and these set-ups are normal enough for the East in late spring/early summer unfortunately.

The only thing that frustrates me is the inaccurate forecast. If MET E simply forecasted cloudy days with sunny evenings for the East coast it would be fine as you'd have no expectations.

But they really struggle to forecast even 12 hours in advance sometimes.

Edit - sun now splitting the stones. But cool.

Post edited by compsys on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

When the prevailing wind is from where you live the results are cruel. We are getting Dublins weather and they are getting ours due to backward wind source.

Later in Summer as any wind with West in it sets up we get the raw deal though our seas warmer so we'd get 17 or 18c n not the 13c of early June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Sunshine levels this past week.

Unsurprisingly, sunshine hours have been above normal nationwide this week. Sunshine hours ranged from 61.6 hours at Malin Head to 93.9 hours at Valentia Observatory, equating to between 180% and 243% of normal. There will be plenty of sunshine over the coming week so sunshine amounts will continue to be well above normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Look up, there’s lovely cirrus clouds straight overhead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

Glorious all day in Tralee. A few fluffy clouds here and there, temps about 23 I'd say and so calm. Literally living barefoot in the back garden. When I'm not flying around the place that is, as this is a busy time in my job. Still gobsmacked to hear how disappointing over east, literally a different country. The regional variations in summer in our little country are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Amazing the difference in temps between Galway and the Midlands.

There's a bite in the breeze in the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭appledrop

While the weather has been beautiful for the past week, it has been chilly at times in Dublin due to that breeze, yesterday only got to 15 max .

Luckily for once I'm delighted with my long commute to work as warmer there😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It actually felt a good bit cooler today in Cork, I thought. There was a good bit of cloud at times earlier on in the day and then coming home from after work drinks around 8, it was fairly chilly - still a lovely bright day overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Glorious spell of weather, especially for the westies. I was just looking back at my post on May 10th on the spring forum during the deluge and I asked the question was there a drought around the next corner. Well it's getting there but I also fear the wet weather in Spain will surely not last much longer and that change in the zonal flow of pressure could flip our weather back. I would hope for short breaks in the weather with nice warm dry spells continuing for the rest of the summer rather than a messy breakdown for weeks and only getting a handful of days at the end of July. I don't ask for too much, do I ?

P.s love the photos Sryan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Beautiful blue skies in Meath and I'm the type to appreciate the breeze while on the move.

The family are boasting about their temperatures on the West Coast.

I stepped out to water some plants tonight and there was a sharp difference even compared to temps in breeze today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭pad199207

Maybe something more unsettled towards next weekend going by the GFS overnight.

Looks plumey tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

The east coast should do better today. Already 15⁰ in Wicklow and no pesky off-shore wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Some footage from the Quincentenary bridge in Galway this morning.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Yeah but sometimes it doesn’t get going till the afternoon. Looking warmer for the east tomorrow and Monday alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Another stunning morning,not a cloud in sight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

A dull morning in Tralee but I'd say the cloud is breaking up, I see sun peeping through and the sky is lightening. It's actually a relief to get some cloud. My house is south facing with lots of glass. Built that way to catch every bit of light in our normally very grey climate, but can be full of glare in the super bright days of late. Obviously I have blinds but even at that the light has been incredible. Beautiful in these endless summer days, but hard to do deskwork, which is why I'm catching up this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A man could get very used to these conditions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A big improvement in temperatures for the east today and this should last till Tuesday at least with low 20s a possibility about 5 to 10km inland from the coast.

Just worth noting the 00z was a bit of an outlier with high temperatures persisting through June and some very volatile looking activity for next weekend with a low moving in from the south-west triggering widespread thunderstorm activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

My morning message must not have posted. Beautiful on the banks of the Boyne at 830 this morning. And it seemed quiet still.

Beautiful skies and there is that breeze again in the back garden. 19⁰ Meath

SPF and under the parasol.

I see it is 23C in Kerry, about the same here near Koblenz ,Germany with a nice pleasant breeze along the River Mosel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

23c another great day. Malin just 14c again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks beautiful there, great picture, thanks for posting it :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement