Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Them lows to our Southwest mean warm temperatures will continue at worst and at best not many of the showers will affect us.

Looks like June will be one of the warmest ones unless there's a major flip in patterns. Could be but at the moment everything seems South and East sourced.

Rosses Pt got up to 26c today in the car as we were leaving. "Only" 23c by the time we reached Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭obi604

Is this on the met Éireann website?

I can’t seem to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Uncertainty on the menu tonight! Some sort of disturbance, bay of Biscay, could develop into Friday. Will it pack a punch is hard to know but these lows in previous years do bring thunder potential. For now I think this one will just bring showers with little thunder.

@ Gonzo, enjoy the next 2 days is a bit of an exaggeration but having said that wind will certainly pick up so a change of weather type is certainly closer than most would like to admit. By Thursday it will likely be overcast, humid and windy which is quite different to now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's not just the humans benefiting from it,the cattle seem to be loving it too. They were lepping about the place and running after me on my evening walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

Swallows too swooping down to 3ft and 4ft above the ground, they'd frighten you the speed of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Arrived back from Spain to Dublin Airport at around 19:00 yesterday evening and when I walked outside it was decidedly chilly so I understand what people in the East have been saying about it not being particularly warm of late. The max temperatures in eastern counties in recent days very much reflect this.

I'm in Trim (Meath) right now. Will be driving to Longford at around 11:00. Will be interesting to see how much the temperature will rise the further west I travel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If you arrived back yesterday it was much warmer compared to what it was really like Monday to Friday, those days were noticeably chillier, it's been relatively warm here since Saturday morning. We got to 20C on Saturday and yesterday where as all through the week we were struggling to get to 14C. It has been mostly sunny all week but there was little to no warmth in the sun until this weekend.

The temperature contrast between east and west is not as big as it was on Monday to Friday.

It does appear that if current charts verify we are going into a warmer spell of weather soon although it could be a little bit more unsettled, however temperatures of low to mid 20s looks to become more widespread over the next 2 weeks as winds are going to become either southerly or south-westerly.

I just hope it does not get too humid over the weekend and into next week. I would not say no to a Thunderstorm,but any showers could well be hit and miss rather than an organised frontal band moving over us, so some places may stay dry throughout the weekend and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I honestly cannot remember so many consecutive blue sky days in my lifetime. I have lost count. Even in past heatwaves, there were clouds from day to day. Another morning of wall to wall sunshine in Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

1995 was like this for weeks and months on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

I’ll be happy with a southerly or south westerly wind direction from next weekend even if it does mean showery episodes. Anything is better than a cold northwesterly/ northerly/ northeasterly during summer in my opinion.

I’m sure we’ll get a more Atlantic influence at some point over the summer but hoping it’s just transient before High pressure reasserts itself over us.

That's right and 1989 too if my memory is correct. You mentioned Swallows earlier,it's strange because there are noticeably less around here than last year. I wonder why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cloudier in Sligo today. Still over 20c but wall to wall sun is gone. Probably a 4/8 cloud coverage if you go by the meteociel method.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'll probably do another summer FI post soon on the other tread once the 12z rolls out, the warm weather is only getting started, the week following next weekend is starting to look rather warm to say the least.

For western areas this is going to be a June to never forget, they have had warm weather for 2 full weeks up to this point. Eastern Ireland is finally starting to get warmish and we are unlikely to see a repeat of last weeks chill any time soon. The UK is still cold away from western fringes but it will warm up there very quickly later this week and into next weekend once we drop the easterlies and go southerly or south-westerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Shannon Airport has had 105.3 hrs of sun from 29th May-4th June 2023, this is its 2nd sunniest 7-day period on record and records here go back to 1945. This is the sunniest calendar week on record here.

Its sunniest 7-day period was 22nd-28th June 1995 with 105.9 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

Absolutely gorgeous today again in Kildare. 22°c

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

Hi folks, when was the last time it rained in Dublin.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Another blue sky day in Cobh, but just like others, its only just gone over 20c, and no higher.

Perfect for me, and importantly getting below 10c at night which means the house isn't an oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Hairypoppins

I believe it was the 11th of May, we had numerous deluges/thunderstorms that day In the dublin area but nothing since

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It was overnight 18th into 19th May actually, had a band of rain sinking southeastward but totals were small. 14th May also had 0.2mm. The last day with totals greater than 0.2mm was the 11th though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Another great day. Some clouds bubbled up after midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I recorded 0.4mm on the 22nd which was the last semi significant rain here in southern Dublin, however you slice and dice it, the soil in Dublin in general must be very very dry.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

A lot cloudier this afternoon after a lovely morning.

Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Met Éireann's report for last month shows rainfall was below average everywhere, especially in the east of the country with ongoing dry periods.

Speaking to RTÉ'S News at One programme, Paul Downes, Meteorologist with Met Éireann says the eastern half of the country has been mostly affected and they have recorded dry spells in some weather stations going back as far as 15 May.

Mr Downes said 18 stations are expected be in absolute drought in the next day or two. 

He said it looked like most of the country will be in absolute drought by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very warm out west ,many stations 24/25 degrees with 25.9 currently at Dingle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

26c at Shannon airport @4:30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The outlook is uncertain but a very short breakdown is looking favourite for Friday/Saturday. Thundery showers won't do much for the drought situation. What happens into following week is anyone's guess but rainfall is looking very limited and the heat if anything re builds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Witnessed a pretty impressive dust devil yesterday in Ballindereen Co.Galway, around 2 -3 pm i think. It travelled from East to west along the length of the pitch, it was most evident in the dusty carpark, thankfully gazebos were well secured but in almost Father Ted fashion it picked up some of the results sheets from the on-going Galway Community games and carried them a couple of hundred metres up and in the direction of the Atlantic! Unfortunately I didn't get a video as I was without my phone at the time.

My kids were delighted to witness their first "tornado".

Advertisement