Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gilly1910

And good riddance too. An absolutely awful Summer, and Summer 2023 can now take it's place in the history books as one of the worst Summers ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sorry to burst your bubble but August has 31 days of rain not 30 so 24 hours more for ya.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a very damp drizzely morning/early afternoon here in Meath, a wet final day of summer 2023, a summer I won't want a repeat of any time soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Getting cool morning starts now here near Tralee but warmed up nicely to 19.1C , patches of brighter sky with sunny spells, bit dull again atm. Big shower out of the blue now, knocked the temperature down to 17.5C and falling.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A miserable kind of day here in Castlebar with low cloud and outbreaks of rain/drizzle. Slowly brightening from the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Drizzle drizzle Drizzle

14⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain all day.

Summer 23? You wouldn't be missed.

It started out so well. June will prevent it breaking rainfall records and so on you'd imagine.

Drizzle with the sun making a breakthrough from the West 😅

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still drizzling away here with no let up, absolute pigmuck which sums up 9 weeks out of 12 of summer 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Cracking afternoon in Cork 😍

As much as I don't regret seeing this summer pass I generally don't like seeing 31st August. We're heading headlong for shorter days, losing 4min daylight a day. In around 8 weeks the clocks go back.

I love daylight and longer days.

The daylight hours reducing quickly from here on isn't something I like either but on the plus side the morning brightness goes later so easier to sleep as the sun rising around 4am is a bit of a problem for me in the summer as the room gets so bright half way through the night and that can make sleeping difficult during the summer, particularly the first half of summer.

For me southern Spain has the sweet spot for winter and summer daylight hours. It never gets dark before 6.15pm in the middle of winter, it sets around 9.20 in the height of summer and doesn't get bright again till about 6.30am compared to 3.30am here.

The sun came through.

Gone dark now. Looks like a squall line approaching parts of Meath on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Cool evening in South Wicklow after a wet day. Looking forward to the few nice days coming up, and it would be nice to get a relatively settled run up to the winter. I find that if September and October stay reasonably settled that the winter just doesn't seem quite so long. Last winter was a real slog and after the summer we've had we could do with a break before it kicks off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Monsoon rain here in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Totally agree with the daylight hours through the year in southern Spain. If I'm lucky enough to retire a little bit early, I'll move there, probably somewhere near Malaga as it's a lovely city and it's quite far west.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Last summer downpour in Dublin.

We just had one here in Sligo too bringing August rain up to 112mm

So July 186mm

August 112mm

Total Summer holiday Rainfall 298mm

An average of nearly 5mm every single day though nearly 250mm of that rain was at weekends so mainly light showers weekdays and frontal events at weekends.

These past 2 months are well up there with 2007 to 2012 but in Sligo we had a lot more dry and sunny spells in July than many of you with 90 percent of rain at weekends. So 1985 and 1986 remain untouchable here. Those years the Shannon burst it's banks. It didn't this year.

• Advertisement

I think overall the East did worst this entire summer. We didn't get the warm temperatures first week of June that everywhere else got. Weeks 2 and 3 were the highlight of the summer but nothing spectacular away from the south-east which managed 29C on one of those days, more like 23 to 25C outside of that. That 2 week spell wasn't unbroken sunshine and warm temperatures, there were a few wet days in between where the Atlantic tried to break through. The final 10 days of June summer broke, while it remained warm it became very wet and by the final day of June the air cooled down considerably and we had a washout day which lead onto a mostly cool and record breakingly wet July.

July was brutal but there was a nice weekend around the 7th/8th of July. This weekend was followed by basically every weekend being either wet or a complete washout between then and last weekend. Eastern areas don't normally suffer this amount of rainfall in a summer month or indeed most months throughout the year, it was fairly excessive. The weekdays were dryer overall then the weekends but still rain fell most days in the form of showers or less intensive bands on rain.

August wasn't as bad as July but no great shakes either. We had some nice days in August but these were few and far between, however there were more dryer days in August with much less rain intensity overall from day to day. However there were some notable washouts in August as well and the month finished up also wetter than average. Overall at least for my location in Meath, one of the worst summers I can ever remember since I was born in the early 1970s and well up there with the worst of the summers between 2007 and 2012. Relived it's now over with and we have a week at least of summer like weather to start from tomorrow and lasting into the second week of September perhaps.

Though the temperatures are set for the mid twenties they will set off showers. Also light showers later tomorrow and drizzle in the NW Sunday which wasn't originally forecast.

Temperatures should be very warm though. Don't expect it to last after Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Ding dong the witch is dead, the witch is dead. Ding dong the wicked witch is dead.

Goodbye summer 2023, hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Celebrating the end of a poor summer that resembled autumn when all we're doing now is transitioning into actual autumn is a bit nonsensical but each to their own I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Reposting this Irish synoptic stations' rainfall totals comparison with recent summers but with the 2023 totals now complete.

All places had obviously wetter than 2022 and 2021 which were quite dry summers for the most part. The national average beats 2020 but this varies from place to place.

Valentia had its third wettest summer on record since 1939 with only 2020 and 2009 wetter.

Dublin Airport had its wettest summer since 2008 and fourth wettest on record since 1941. This included its second wettest July on record behind only 2009 whilst the other 2 months were unremarkable.

Dunsany had its wettest summer since 2008 and is the second wettest here since the automatic station began recording in 2006. Don't have summer data for the manual yet which goes back to the 60s.

Athenry also had its wettest summer since 2008.

2008 really was an atrocity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Looks ok to me, what would we have done for this in July and August?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

List of storm names have been released today ,is your name there ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

If we get to Fergus, I just know that storm will be bad! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Autumnal weather in autumn is acceptable though. Autumnal/winter weather at the height of summer is infuriating.

So I can see the logic in being happy to see the back of that head wreck.

Advertisement