Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭francois

The equator does, with small variations around the year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

August hasn't been too bad in Meath either, the first week of August was absolutely awful, in line with the weather pattern throughout July but since then there hasn't been much in the way of rain apart from last Friday. Sometimes we can get chilly nights in the second half of August well down into single digits if conditions are right but we haven't really had any cool nights this month so August is likely to finish above normal for that reason.

I have a feeling September will be mixed with temperatures around average or slightly above. Looking forward to my holiday in southern Spain too at least i'll get some proper summer style warmth over there as we have had very little of that this summer in Meath/Dublin. As for winter 2023/2024 I'm not expecting anything memorable other than lots and lots of mild weather which is almost guaranteed for Ireland most winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Places close to the equator don't have much difference in the timing of their sunsets throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

What good are long summer evenings when it still feels like winter most of the time...what a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Shower in Dublin seems to have sucked out any residual heat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Lovely morning earlier, though cool air.

Brief heavy shower at 1pm so thought that was the start of the showers for the day.

It's sunny since and like a boiling-heat-sunshine, especially on a 3 mile walk.

18⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

A couple of sparks. More widespread strikes showing up on the lightning app but nothing major

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭appledrop

We are having an almighty thunder and lighting storm here at moment in NCD.

Torrential rain and hailstones.

That wasn't forecast as far as I know.

Ah well on plus side training called off so I don't have to stand on sidelines in that!

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford, Leitrim

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Localised thunderstorms for a time this evening

Potential Impacts:

Difficult travelling conditions

Spot Flooding

Valid: 17:14 Friday 25/08/2023 to 21:00 Friday 25/08/2023

• Advertisement

Sweet Jaysys, I have just heard the loudest ever bang of Thunder!

Eh hello Met Eireann you forgot to put Dublin in your thunder warning!

Lads seriously, I haven't heard thunder like it since I was a child, our road is now flooded, has never happened before, don't go out in that if in NCD.

Can't wait to see how much rain has fallen in one hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

Think they did alright, all of Leinster? Nothing here near Trim though getting dark at the minute….

Another downpour on a Friday

I was just thinking that, oh it's the weekend, here comes the rain😁

At least that was a good thunder storm, so was exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

Totally agree with that. I don't like the never ending June and July days when all you have is a slate grey sky. I'd often draw the blinds and put on soft house lights early just to shut it out. The long days are wonderful in good weather but how often is that!

Conversely I like short winter days in November/December. I find them cosy. But overall it suits me better in southern Spain. Shorter days in summer, longer in winter, with mainly blue skies year round. Some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

The thunderstorm and scarily heavy rain has left behind a serious chill in the air. I'm frozen. Thankfully I wasn't out in it but I stuck my head out the back door to check how badly the shores were overflowing and had to fully blowdry my hair as if I had stepped out of the shower. Miserable. God help anyone stuck outside in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lovely evening down the Marina - strangely the place was dead, thought there would be loads of people out.

I don't agree, over a million people live in Dublin that's a 5th of population of whole country, if bad weather is going to hit like it did tonight Dublin should be named.

It was very dangerous out there this evening in that weather, which was also at peak commuter driving, who knows how many crashes there were and a house went on Fire in Blancharstown.

Met Eireann are useless, hedging their bets with 'Leinster'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The majority of people know that Dublin is in Leinster.

Yes, but at the same time, the ME forecast is divided into Ulster, Munster, Connacht, Leinster, and Dublin. So I can see why someone might think they weren't including Dublin.

In fairness, though, the map showed it all clearly.

Exactly, why does normal weather forecast always separate out Dublin but in weather warning which is important it doesn't

It's because they haven't a clue.

Right so why do Met Eireann do weather for Leinster on their website but yet the weather for Dublin separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Don't know,I don't work for Met Eireann but still doesn't change the fact that everyone knows that Dublin is in Leinster

Another Pig of a day in Dublin. Looks like the start of Autumn 23 will continue in the vein of Summer 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

We had a summer?

Cold, damp, windy. If it was November I'd say it wasn't too bad of a day as it's not constant rain, but it's pretty poor for August.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Rain rain rain in Dublin. Got soaked on my jog around Howth. Sunny now. I hate this weather so sick of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

This summer and autumn, you guys in Dublin seem to be experiencing the near constant wet/damp/drizzly conditions that generally characterise the Kerry Atlantic climate. Now ye know how we feel and what a pain in the ass it is! Some people accept it and get on with it, more of us hate it. Same with ye it seems, judging by the posts here. But fear not because Dublin is the driest part of Ireland and the dry conditions will eventually return. While Kerry will stay rainy.😔 Though we've probably done better than ye this summer overall.

Advertisement