Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Might have the national stats for windy July/August combos later.

For now... Casement, Dublin is having its windiest July/August combo since 1998.

1988 12.4 kts

1985 11.5 kts

1989 10.7 kts

1990 10.5 kts

1998 10.5 kts

1974 10.4 kts

1991 10.4 kts

1992 10.3 kts

2023 10.3 kts

2009 is the closest this century with 10.1 kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s not dry here in the south east at all. Raining fairly heavily and it’s not a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Caught in rain in Dublin yet again, wasn't forecast by RTE anyway ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Rubbish afternoon alright in Dublin, been persistently rainy here.

After calculating Irish mean wind speeds based on 6 stations distributed across the country for past Julys/Augusts and current.

Most of this century has been relatively calm but 2023 bucks the trend especially after 2022 and particularly 2021 which was record calm.

Now, 2023 is only a standout versus other years this century whilst before 2000, it was less noteworthy with numerous years windier than it - most outstanding being 1974, 1985 and 1988. Still 2023 will be the windiest high summer period in Ireland for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gilly1910

Bucketing down now in Dublin City for the last two hours, and you know things are bad when you're dreading leaving work as you know you're going to get soaked. Summer 2023 in Ireland, the nightmare that just keeps on giving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Lovely evening in the midlands. Dinner al fresco in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Great stats @sryanbruen , thank you! Casement is my local station and yes it has been a very windy summer here.

Constant drizzle since lunchtime here. Dreading another wet week ahead!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely fine evening here in Kerry, early morning mist and drizzle cleared to give a grand late summers day, high of 17.9C , 15.7C atm. Nice and warm in the sun but needing something like a jacket or light cardigan in the shade, has the feel of Autumn around the corner with the lower sun now in the evenings and the cooler mornings going off to work, kind of in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Meanwhile in Dublin it has been autumn since late June (thank christ I got away to Spain for a while).

These warm late August evenings are lovely. The sun has gone down around 1hr 20min ago, reminding us of the changing season ahead. But the temperatures are still summery.

To cool down a bit over the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm not seeing any of these warm evenings in Dublin, I'm out in garden with kids most evening but you wouldn't be 'sitting' enjoying the heat or sun because there is neither and usually a strong wind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy enough with Aug, as has had plenty of dry weather but certainly not warm.

Still 16c in Laois at 11pm. Last few evenings have been warm here. Amazing the differences on a small island.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

I don't live in Dublin but this Summer has been dismal there. Thank God we got 20 odd good days in June here and about 5 weekdays in July and 1 in August last Thursday.

Think the number of good days in the East is much less than this. Prob 10 in June though prob more in August.

Anyways after 21 of the past 23 August's being sh1t it's safe to classify August as Autumn and Summer as May June July (despite 2023) anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Continuing on the curious incident of the rainfall at weekends (2023 Summer)

July and August 2023 Sligo

Rainfall Monday to Thursday 51mm

Rainfall Friday to Sunday 222mm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

Stunning 'autumnal' morning here in Leitrim. Blue skies and Sun. 9C.

I was out early and watched the Sun rise above the Loch. Mist rising above the water and a heavy dew on the grass.

How small we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Fine morning in Kildare 14°c

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cot-mad

So I’ve been watching the UKMO deep dive and their 10 day forecast recently and wondering if there’s an Irish alternative at all. I’m really enjoying the deep dive, the lads are super interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Some sunny spells and a couple of heavy showers today.

Rainfall outlook

In the week ahead, much of the country is expected to see around average rainfall amounts, though parts of the south and the southwest will likely see as little as half of their average rainfall for late August. The exception is parts of the northwest which will likely see 1.5 to 2 times the average rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A good day , dry and not too warm. It would be nice if we could get an Indian summer in September

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Really nice day again here around Tralee, sunshine much of the day if a bit cloudy now. High of 17.2C and currently 15.7C.

Pic about 18.00.

• Advertisement

Just watched that, hadn't seen it before, good in-depth honest look at the model output and the uncertainties and where models agree and looking at hurricane season taking off and how it can influence the weather for these parts. Very UK orientated but can get a fair idea of the Irish weather also. Don't know of an Irish equivalence. I enjoy the meteorologists commentary at times on Met Eireann when we have some notable weather events, would be a good feature to have running on the side all the time to hear more in-depth their thinking of the upcoming weather. I guess the next best thing are the discussions here in the forum, not too dissimilar to the deep Dive!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭babyducklings1

Hoping for that as well. It just makes the winter more bearable before the dark evenings. Even though the summer has been very poor the bright evenings are nice at least. We often get a good September so fingers crossed.

Yeah I find their videos really interesting. It would be great if ME did something similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

I just can't get over my good fortune at having two really nice days for my trip to west Clare. Today was really lovely there. I was dreading it as I hate going anywhere in crappy weather. I need decent weather to enjoy myself outdoors, decent for me being relatively seasonal and dry, warm and bright being a bonus and I actually got the bonus! So I was thrilled and had a lovely time.😀 Arrived back in Tralee around 7PM and could see by my patio flowers that the weather had been good, but alas, within an hour the rain came back. 😒 Not complaining though as the timing was great. I just hope renewed rain doesn't mean renewed, prolonged muck. Love back to school good weather so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I was thinking the same thing to be honest yesterday Imagine naula Carey and gerry Murphy doing it but the UK one is enough for me gives me a fair idea what could lie ahead even for us here in Ireland, I really enjoy them too between that and the 10 day forecasts 😀

Yeah it does definitely give ya a fair idea of what’s coming, but it’d be nice to have one more focused on ireland. I just find the deep dive really interesting. You never know, maybe ME might take note!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We could get any kind of weather at the start of september anything from heatwaves to cold and windy and a there is even at least 2 ex hurricanes lined up and coming in our direction....it might not look like much on recent charts but the charts can and will change by then...only a slight change and we could end up with any kind of weather

Post edited by Hooter23 on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You are right about the long summer evenings. I would hate to live in a country that gets dark at 6 pm all year around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Is there anywhere that gets dark at 6 all year round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

After last Friday's deluge the weather in Dublin has been fine the past week really.

Plenty of sun. Decent enough temps (by Irish standards) and not much rain. It has been breezy at times though.

Here are the max temps and sun totals for Dublin Airport over the past few days - places inland would have been a tiny bit warmer each day.

24th 18.3º 10.1 hours

23rd 19.5º 4.5 hours

22nd 20º 3.8 hours

21st 21.8º 8.3 hours

20th 21.8º 9.2 hours

19th 21.1º 8.1 hours

This August has turned out much better than feared for Dublin as I was afraid it would be as bad as July. Temps have been between 19º and 21º most days with the nights still very mild.

Obviously it hasn't been good enough to make up for the awful July and places further West haven't been as 'nice'.

While I would love a September heatwave, if the month turned out the same as August (for Dublin at least) I'd be happy enough.

Just really hope we don't get a cool September/October and then a ridiculously mild November and December.

Advertisement