Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dublin Airport is now having its 4th wettest summer on record.

1958 418.6mm

2008 377.7mm

2007 349.0mm

**2023 314.0mm**

2012 311.1mm

1985 310.3mm

1956 307.4mm

2009 299.2mm

1986 298.3mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Sunshine and showers today.

Strangely enough the farming commentary from yesterday for the previous week (before the thunderstorms over Dublin yesterday)

Rainfall - However, in parts of the south and southwest it was much higher with 3 to 3.5 times the average for this time of year. It was wettest in the southwest with 81.5 mm recorded at Valentia, Co. Kerry. The driest station was Casement Aerodrome, Co. Dublin which recorded 13.7 mm, which is only 85% of average.

More organised showers approaching the N coast.

Valentia is also having its 5th wettest summer on record.

2009: 619.7mm

2020: 561.1mm

1950: 454.4mm

1985: 452.0mm

**2023: 450.6mm**

2008: 422.3mm

One quirky thing I found additionally with the Dublin Airport data too is it's likely to be the warmest wetter-than-average summer beating 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭appledrop

I don't think it's thst bad at all in Dublin today, sunshine mixed with showers.

What I can't understand us how only 4mm of rain was recorded from 5pm-6pm during that Thunderstorm at Dublin Airport yesterday. It was more like 40mm, how the hell did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ollie103

The crazy weather just clipped the airport (whereas Malahide got hammered). The cell was very compact and localised.

Indeed. For example, a PWS in Portmarnock had 31.8mm compared to a daily total of 6.9mm at the airport, just over 8km apart. It had 22mm falling within that same hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭appledrop

OK well at least that makes more sense about the rainfall.

Well it's raining every since I said it wasn't too bad in Dublin🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Another weekend downpour in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Past few hours has been a washout here in Meath, same yesterday evening. Definitely an autumnal feel the past 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

More of the biblical rain in Lucan this evening, with roads flooding, but thankfully short lived and back to more normal rain now. It's cold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Went to Kilkee Co Clare today, crossed over from Kerry on the Tarbert ferry, despite a mixed weather forecast last night from Joanne Donnelly. It was simply beautiful, sunshine all day, a few intermittent clouds, but no rain at all and pretty balmy in the sunshine. We got a lovely spot against the wall in Kilkee and spent a few hours there, swimming and walking. Around the corner at the Pollock Holes it was really windy , lovely white horse waves but much more difficult to swim. However the sunshine was what made it.

If we had listened to the forecast and based our day on it we wouldn't have gone anywhere....... in Ireland this year you just have to take the chance and go for it, you just might get lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I may have only been 10 in 2007 but I think that was a wetter summer than this current one but not by much àlso 2012 was a bad one too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

a very common occurrence with thunderstorms, for example last June 22nd parts of Dublin had flash floods during thunderstorms but I got nothing and was out watering my plants in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Dirty morning in West Clare. Low cloud and heavy drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Cant recall much media coverage of climate change in 2009 and 2020 with those record rain figures

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

Absolutely horrible morning in Tralee! Jesus please don't let this muck be the foreseeable weather! Be gone demented by Haloween 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Starting to see a clearance now from the West here near Tralee patches of blue sky and bursts of sunshine.

Raspberries have come to an end for this year, best crop ever, saw a Bank Vole nibbling at the remainders the other day 🙂

16.8C and feeling mild, sunshine should lift the temperature another bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Cold, wet, miserable in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I love Kilkee. You're right, there are always windows in the day to get out and about. I have swam every day in August except 3. The water is simply gorgeous. You can't let the summer pass you by. I don't mind the windy days at all. Something very relaxing about floating in a swell. Heading now for high tide in Galway.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Such a manky morning in Meath. The clearance is painfully slow here.

15⁰

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I swim nearly every day too, all year round. Its mad but you stop noticing the weather and just get out anyway , its always lovely and always lifts my spirits, even if its raining. Its about making the most of the country we live in, the water is warm these days too. Since I started year round swimming (3 years ago) I notice the bad weather far less. You really are in touch with nature and become more thankful for what surrounds us here in Ireland.

(Caveat: I really dislike November as it's so dark, I hate the short days and I also really dislike February its usually grey, cold, wet and Winter often drags on and on at this time ..... the rest of the months are ok with me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Horrible morning Meath was sure today had a better forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Horrible morning dublin, soaked yet again on bike to work even though RTE had no rain forecast. It's just standard at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

That sounds lovely. I wish I lived near the sea. I also found when I was outside a lot more the weather rarely affected me.

patches of blue sky here in Carlow but temperature feels quite fresh and it’s breezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

It is raining in Dublin. This was not forcast!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm near the sea too and can only swim in July or August - outside of those two months its absolute bloody murder. No amount of acclimatization can seem to help. That said, I'd prefer it to Australia - yes the water is 25c but you can only swim in this small netted bit along a 5km glorious beach because everything in the water is trying to eat or sting you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Advertisement