Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Cloudy and breezy in Trim, far too breezy for my liking however the 3rd washing machine load of the day is almost dry on the line so it's not all bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

This tune sums up the weather in north Dublin today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The rest of August is now looking showery and cool with tomorrow perhaps the last of the dryer days for a while. No seasonal back to school warmth this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Dazler97

That's awful to hear bet we'll have either a very mild winter or a cold one there will be no in-between

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Recent thunderstorm in Meath and Louth. 30-40 strikes. Exceptional heavy rain, white echoes on the radar around that time. Wasn’t forecast as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Went swimming in Mulranny in a storm of lashing rain. Floods down there a few miles back the way not a drop of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

That was some event in Tuam Saturday evening......... all the soft ground........unreal in August. Wellies all the way. The field was ploughed up😅 Can't imagine what it was like underfoot the following night. (A super gig btw 😉).

Today was such a mixed bag. Bright morning in the West. Felt extremely warm on the car journey West to East. Breezy and windy in Meath at 2pm. Heavy showers since 6pm. 20⁰ Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

I came back to Kerry yesterday from Spain and find it every bit as horrible as before I left 12 days ago. Spent today trying to clean up my garden. All concrete areas are filthy and mouldy from constant rain, geraniums are miserable, the poor things, they hate rain and got no chance this year and as somebody else said, there are leaves all over the place a good month too early. A very different story to last year when August behaved as August should.

Somebody commented that there has been little to no sitting out weather since the early June heatwave and that has been my experience too. Granted I've been away a lot, but while here it's been horrible, and family and friends tell me I've missed very little, bar that stunning day in Kerry on August 9th. People are welcome to disagree but I think this has been the lousiest summer in years. We have a little glass conservatory at the bottom of the garden, which is a nice little warm relaxing place with even a tiny bit of sun, but it's got almost no use this summer. With constant grey days there's nothing to heat it. Good luck to anybody talking up summer 2023! It's clutching at straws, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Its just been a train of Atlantic muck with no sight ever in end. Since that spell of nice weather ended in June it's been grim here in the west of Ireland.

The thing that really gets me is the wind. It's constantly very windy here in Galway City making walking anywhere fairly unenjoyable. I think I walked more in January than I do now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Looking dry for the south and east of the country for the rest of the week so not all bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

18mm Glenveagh national park for today. Tomorrow is looking better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

heavy showers/rain here now in Meath, there goes my plan to cut the lawn today.

This time last year my lawn was brown/yellow. This year it's as green as if it was only the beginning of April.

The kids are all back at school this Friday (seems to get earlier every August) and they certainly not getting the annual warmth and sunshine for it with next week in particular looking fairly cool and very unsettled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Overcast, constant drizzle interspersed with moderately heavy showers in Celbridge. A lot wetter than I expected. And still quite windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Pissing down on and off for last hour in D5, RTE tells me it's mostly sunny out for the day so I hung out a load of clothes. ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Another cycle in Dublin and another drowning.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gilly1910

It's still c**p though, and shows how bad it is when you're pretty much clutching at straws contantly. Bucketing down in Dublin now, quelle surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Confirmation that the reason this August has been "warm" relative to average has been because of mild nights rather than warm days which I'm sure surprises nobody.

Valentia mean max (days) is bang on average whilst mean min (nights) is over +1.5C above average.

Shannon mean max is +0.3C above average whilst mean min is +1.0C above average.

Even Dublin no different with Casement mean max +0.3C above average whilst mean min is +1.2C above average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

And I think if you factor in the constant wind, it's fair to say that many days have felt below average for warmth in places. It's rare I'd have a fleece on working outside in August, but it has been the case often enough this month!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Will it rain in Dublin city this afternoon? ME gives me a 5% chance of rain, however at this stage, dont belive them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The wind has been awful. The garden is saturated. I just gave up yesterday and turned all my tall plants in pots on their side. That way they’d suffer less damage rather than wait for the wind to flatten them. A complete wash out of a Summer, can’t remember one as bad as this. Colder air on its way and more strong westerlies on offer? September’s going to be much the same then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

My next goal is to see how windy this July/August has been historically. It has felt windier than 2020 which I thought at the time was bad enough. Then before that, have to go back to 2015 for the last time I remember as windy a two month high summer period.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

As I was throwing in the last bit of turf , the other evening, there was a couple of lightning strikes out of the blue. I am a bit paranoid about being out in thunderstorms, since a farmer nearby was killed in a lightning strike. Anyway it looks like we are not going to get a sustained settled spell in September afterall. I think we could have fairly windy Autumn and winter this year.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

After a cloudy morning it's just over 20º in SCD with almost clear skies and nice sun. The breeze has died down too.

Not bad for mid to late August.

There's been barely any rain in Dublin since Friday's deluge.

Might pop for a swim later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cloud all day. 17C. Windy. Showers earlier this afternoon.

Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

Glad to report a more positive story today from Kerry. A very pleasant day after a rainy early morning start. Quite warm and quite sunny with no wind, really couldn't believe my luck that I could actually use my conservatory! I'd need it over 20C to sit properly outside, but in my little conservatory with the door ajar I can pretend I'm in Spain, lol 😀 Even a tiny improvement in weather is such a boost. Off to west Clare tomorrow just for one night and fingers crossed for something like today. Gutted at the bad longer term forecast but just give us a few days like today, please!🤞🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Another dire morning and day to come in Cork 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Beautiful bright blue skies.

Two minutes of sunshine before they return to school 😅

16⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Nothing but rain forecast from Friday onwards on various channels that I can see. FFS, I was hoping we'd get a nice calm spell after July. At least today and last few days haven't been entirely awful apart from the strong winds.

• Advertisement

Make the most of the relatively dry weather today and tomorrow. Rain or showers almost every day from Friday onwards, through the weekend and into next week. Things may settle down first week of September but at the moment that is looking fairly flimsy.

Advertisement