Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I resent spending money on cars, why isn't there an EV for me

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

What "working class" person is going to do that sort of travelling on a regular basis?

It's the same sort of argument as "an EV wouldn't suit as what if I had to go to Dublin in an emergency and the car's not charged?". Because that's a regular occurrence for most people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭HBC08

A bigger problem for me is the fact you aren't eligible for an EV if you don't have a designated parking spot that you own yourself and can put a charger in.

As an aside they look crap (unless you're going to Audi Etron levels)

Like the vast majority of the country (either through having no interest are not in their price range or no designated parking spot) I won't be going near an EV anytime soon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Merged with the last time this topic came up 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gammon199

A working class person cant go from Cork to Dublin?

Why does it need to be a regular basis? They cant visit the capital occasionally.

Should they instead buy a smaller battery EV for 95% of year journeys and take the bus or rent a car when they need to do 250km on the motorway?

There old trusty 2010 Avensis has been doing that round trip for years, but a sub 35k EV can't do it, progress 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭crl84

Nope.

I've been up and down from north Dublin to Cork 5 times in the last month, and I'm getting about 360kms out of the battery.

In the summer, I did a test with gentle driving on a return journey to north Belfast, and I was actually beating the WLTP figures:

Working class aren't buying brand new Dacias.

• Advertisement

No, they should do a 10min charge somewhere on their trip, or whatever length to get them home and to their cheap electricity. As has been pointed out to you on other threads. Similar to when you're doing a long trip and you need to stop to fill up with petrol. Clearly you have difficulty understanding this concept.

Nope,

My diesel gets 1000km per tank,the wife's 1100km.

You could go anywhere and back on the island (most places twice) without refuelling.

Don't want the hassle and time of finding a working compatible charger and hope there's nobody at it.

I dont want to get into a whole over and back here but the simple fact is the vast majority of people won't have/want an EV anytime soon.That may change but that's the way it is for the foreseeable.

Also if i had 25k to spend on a car I wouldn't be looking at a fooking Nissian Leaf or similar.

I've said it before but people will consider an EV when/if it makes sense for them,a long way off that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭User1998

If your not willing to stop and charge for 15 minutes on these cross country drives you do then just keep driving your diesel, there are thousands of diesel cars to choose from if you fancy a change, no one is forcing you to buy an EV just yet.

Not sure what you're "nope"ing about. What I said is factually correct in every single way. Your diesel anecdote is irrelevant. As is what you want to do. Not sure why you're telling me or why I should care.

There's no need to take the bus or rent a car to go more than 250km, or whatever the battery capacity is. You stop and fuel up, similar to an ICE car when the fuel runs out.

Don't know how people are struggling with this....

But its not 15 mins,its the time and hassle involved,it's 15 mins at the charger......or 3 mins at a pump I can find no problem, and it won't be broken.

Anyway,I respect your opinion and you have given me good advise on here before.I will keep driving my 3 diesels (2 cars and a van) and like most will be doing it for the next decade or so and we'll see how things are looking then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭User1998

For most people, stopping to charge is only something they have to do a few times a year, so the rare inconvenience is worth the every day positives that come with EV driving.

If you are someone doing daily cross country commutes then you have to weigh up if the stress of charging is really worth it, to a lot of people it is still worth it, but for a lot people they have no interest and just stick with their diesels. Both have their pro’s and con’s.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Everyone seems angry when describing why they are not for for an EV. Why?

You don’t want an EV, that’s fine. Nobody is forcing one down your throat.

Some people are not suited for diesel. Some not suited for petrol and some not suited for electric, they are just fuel sources, choose the one that works for you.

Its a constant need from people posting that they don’t want an EV, that’s fine, but it’s an EV forum so no need to be angry.

Enjoy your diesel. They are work horses. That’s what they are designed for. Not fun, and that’s fine.

Yeah that's a fair point,I guess you mostly get extreme opinions one way or the other on boards.

I don't do a cross country commute but often go to all ends of the country for football so wouldn't be comfortable in an EV,there's also my own subjective opinion that there not one half decent looking one under 50k.

The wife considered one and it would suit her work etc but we like in a terraced house so can't have a charger thus she doesn't have the option.

And there’s people like myself that haven’t used a public charger in years. Only used them when they are free!

Now I’ve no need to go near one.

The quite below is the main issue with yourself. You are not suited for an EV at all IMO based on the below.

“The wife considered one and it would suit her work etc but we like in a terraced house so can't have a charger thus she doesn't have the option”.

I take the point on being angry.

However if they weren't being forced down my throat I wouldn't give them a second thought.

The government, media etc are promoting this form of car to the point where they're saying there won't be new ICES for private use sold in ireland by 2030.

If it was a live and let live situation where nobody was forcing their views on anybody else that would be great.

If you had no interest or indeed even the option of an EV surely you could see how that could rile people up?

2035 EU Law.

No new cars. That Weill still be 341 and 342 diesels floating about until you and I go 6 feet under.

Yes so you can see it is being forced down our throat,literally by law! That's my point.

Anyway,by then maybe there will be some decent looking affordable EVs and a way around the home charging issue.

As I said all along,I don't hate EVs, I'll get one when and if it makes sense which is the same for everyone.

Yes but with 20 years notice to everyone. hardly forcing it down your throat. By then there has to be alternatives available.

Gas boilers are also been banned. They have effectively been banned from new builds for years now in order to meet the CO2 emissions of new dwellings.

The current crop of kids will most likely never drive an ICE car. They will be EV drivers or possibly none at all, we may be in a rental model by then where you never need to buy a car.

My kids, they are being thought about these things in school now. My 12 year old has o interest in cars they way I did when I was his age he just assumes all cars will be electric when he’s driving in 5 years. Thats a mindset change and a generational change. It won’t be about you or me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Why did my thread on the grants for renewable being dropped get merged here.

Lazy modding. I know I should have taken the effort to contact mod instead of public posting but maybe the laziness has caught on.

Yes for sure.

You don't get many gas boiler enthusiastics though.

Definitely won't be about our generation, I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Re: the media pushing EVs down our throat - from the experience of this forum it's the opposite actually. There is still a strong (legacy-backed) anti-EV rhetoric in the media in Ireland. Any new car promotions I see physically or online are for ICE vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭MakersMark

If we're being honest with ourselves, the only real value an EV offers is incredibly cheap horsepower.

The arguments for saving money for day to day driving if replacing a perfectly good ICE car don't really pass muster.

I'm a fan of EVs, but they're not the answer.

We're an ICE planet, and only green hydrogen is a feasible solution.

Heavy, expensive EVs with components unethically mined are not what we should be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,553 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We'll be like Cuba with the 50's american cars. We'll (EU) have 341 and 342 diesels running for years with frankenstein parts.

Much as EVs suit me (I have 3 currently), I don't agree with a ban on diesel cars. Carrot and stick yes, but outright ban, no. The tech is so much better in an EV it shouldnt and doesnt need bans.

Curious what car can do Cork - Dublin @ 120km/h on a cold windy day and a 10 min charge for a return trip?

A 60k+ car?

No EV on sale in Ireland can do Cork - Dublin return trip @ 120km/h on a cold windy day, not even a €2,000,000 Rimac, that's the crux of the issue, a €1000 Passat can do it but not a €2,000,000 EV, that's a downgrade.

Just a charge, just 30 mins, that's like saying don't use an electric shower, use a cold one, you'll will get used it, its just 2 mins of hassle.

What car do you have, Kia Niro? Range is good alright, Cork - Dublin

You'll be charging that for 45 mins on the return trip though, very slow charging in that car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

Curious how many people in Ireland do Dublin to Cork return trips without having 20 minutes to charge at some stage on the return leg? That is if they don't actually stop for a while at their destination. I do semi regularly drive from East to South-West but I don't usually just turn around and drive straight back.

Ones that go to the Zoo, Crumlin, Tayto Park, City Centre for the day etc

Trying to find a fast charger in those places that isn't occupied in the height of summer might be a bit annoying, even finding parking is annoying and then the 3 year old is just falling asleep and you gonna wake up the small one to charge for 30-45 mins, but for EV owners that no bother

Why would you wake up the kids if charging? Genuine question?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

It's an epidemic in Ireland alone!!!!!!! Happens all the time!!!!!!!!

Advertisement