Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marvels - MCU

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well, no. You said that people desperately wanted more of the X-Men but there's no indication that that's the case. Marvel may get a bit of a boost by trotting them out again and recasting most of them but that's all it'll be - a small boost in viewership figures.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Again, saying that they be a boost to the MCU is accepting my point.

Fans do want to see them. Every time there is any mention of them in the MCU there is huge buzz. What more do you want? Do you have any evidence to support your opinion?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If you want to play the evidence card, you'll have to go first. I want to see hard proof that people are dying for this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I'm dying to see them. i grew up reading these comics. seeing this stuff in the cinema is brilliant.

so if you are counting, we might be a while.

Well my first piece of evidence is how you keep agreeing with me that there will be a boost for the MCU when they come in - exactly what I'm saying.

Then I've already said to look at the online buzz - when they faked Quicksilver in Wandavision, when they used Prof X as a core part of their late push to sell MoM, when they used the term mutant in Ms Marvel, now the mid credit scene in this movie, and next year bringing Logan into Deadpool.

If fans weren't interested in seeing them there would be zero buzz and Marvel wouldnt be using them like they are.

Now you show where there is a lack of interest.

• Advertisement

I'm not doing your research for you. You've provided no evidence so let's just leave it there.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair ancapaill I'm not sure how you "prove" online buzz. it's definitely there, the X-Men are Marvel's biggest IP, or were anyway before the MCU came along making use of the characters Sony didn't have (IE Spider-Man and the X-Men). Not without reason they're making a new series of the 1990s X-Men cartoon, making use of the lingering enthusiasm for the old series. How far that enthusiasm goes for is the debatable point though cos I'm not sure: younger audiences will have grown up with the MCU stable and may not have the fondness for Jena Grey, Professor X et Al - so it's hard to judge.

Sure but their cinematic appearances are far from consistently high quality. Their star has waned since because, for rights reasons, the MCU has had to put other characters front and centre and now has a very broad roster. Too broad one could say. The best way to gauge interest would be to gauge how well this series does. I'd no idea they were even making one.

H. H. Asquith

Ah you did all the research that I need, given that you've repeatedly agreed that bringing in the X-Men will give a boost to the MCU - my original claim.

Your whole disagreement appears to be purely pointless semantics so very happy for you to leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think you're both essentially coming at the same point from different angles; it's not that people are excited about the X-Men in the MCU because of how great the Fox movies were (because they weren't, they've been far more miss than hit, didn't do most of the characters or stories justice, and the high highs don't balance out the dreadful lows). People are excited to have the X-Men in the MCU because it's a new chance to get the X-Men done right as well as having them interact with the wider MCU, plus using the X-Men as a way to fill the holes left by the loss of some bigger characters.

There was definitely a lot of excitement when Disney took over Fox and Marvel therefore got the film rights back to the X-Men and Fantastic Four. Regardless of what happens with Jackman & Stewart, the MCU has a great chance to do something new with the X-Men, and a lot of fans would have more faith in them than if Fox were still trying to churn out X-Men films

• Advertisement

That's fair.

The same argument could have been made about Spider-Man coming out of the 'Amazing' movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Just a friendly request to keep the broader MCU stuff / future speculation to the general thread if we can. I know there's always going to be a bit of overlap, but just good to leave some space for discussion about the film itself here as the same broader discussion is happening in both threads currently.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057266639/marvel-cinematic-universe-general-stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Yo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As suspected, while ostensibly the domestic number one this weekend gone, The Marvels still only hauled in $47 million; making it the worst opening weekend for a MCU film to date. The think pieces have been deployed, the YouTube neckbeards primed.

Interestingly, or not, that 47 million was still more than the next 9 films combined. It still dominated the Box Office all the same, with Five Nights at Freddy's lagging way behind at 9 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Clearly a Boards poll is the only empirical way to prove the buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The whining about the neckbeards is almost tenfold worse than they are at this point.

Undoubtedly, but such is the MCU's status it was always coming. Pop culture is a bit of a morass. All in all it was terrible timing, though I suspect that Variety article was weighted to drop just before The Marvels.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,531 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Look, let's get real. It's time to be real. This is trash. There is no discussion, no debate. It is what it is.

You enjoyed the cats? That's the standard now?

The more you and your fellow travellers try to defend this garbage the worse it gets.

I won't give my money to Disney for this.

You will.

End.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Did not know that.

Can't really blame him for pulling her in. Obi wan himself had to have gotten Mary Elizabeth Winstead a role in Ashoka too.

People complain about nepotism but its all who you know I guess. We'd do the same to those closet to us.

Calling a movie trash and that there isnt room for debate when you didn't even see it 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Sorry, this type of post isn’t welcome here. Criticise the film all you want, but personally attacking someone for enjoying a film you haven’t even seen is not acceptable.

It has cats. Therefore, it's not trash. It's not exactly a classic either but cats don't get to be in films very often.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think anyone who's even positive on this film is saying it's in any way great. It's enjoyable for the most part, and doesn't do anything really terribly bad. It's lacklustre, but has enough good bits throughout that stops it from being horrible. It's lower-mid tier of all the MCU films, but it's also not as bad as some of the very recent films like Black Widow, Quantumania and Thor Love & Thunder.

Marvel already seem to be trying to adjust things moving forward (given previous and now further delays for their slate of films), and the box office performance of this will likely only hasten that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I dont think people you like the movie have to defend themselves. Definitely think the box office was damaged by the subpar superhero movies (both Marvel and DC) we are being provided with recently. The lack of a compelling overarching Marvel storyline in this phase has damaged their movies too.

That's a good point. While I dislike that every MCU film feels like the trailer for the next one, the lack of an overarching storyline made this feel a little pointless. I'd not seen Loki or Ms. Marvel so I didn't recognise the two characters from those series.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Number 1 movie of the weekend in the US and UK. Can't ask more than that.

https://www.the-numbers.com/weekend-box-office-chart

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭flazio

My thoughts. Very good, not the greatest film ever but still a fun night out. As others have said Iman Vellani is the Star of the show but she's got some stiff competition coming as seen near the end. I can see why people think Brie is too "stern" for the role, but I like her "Bad cop" turn. Teynoah Paris was quite good but even with the hindsight of 2020 Wandavision, her power development was a bit over the place. The plot around her first flight for instance.

7.5 creeping to 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Saw it over the weekend and quite enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

i'm going today. not expecting much, from this thread. but Brie Larson... drool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

You could ask for it to not be the lowest-grossing MCU opening weekend of all time?

Advertisement