Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marvels - MCU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I seem it yesterday. Only posting now because I was really mot well yesterday or last night and that did not help watching this film. The annoying family are back in it like in "Blue Beetle"and really was not in the mood for them it took me straight out of the film I even thought of leaving it a few times.

The best part of it really is the fight scenes at the end. Would I go see this film again? No unless I get to go see it for free and there is nothing else anygood to watch.

If I do go see it again I will be skipping the first 20 minutes as its truly awful.

Samuel Jackson was truly terrible in this he is giving bit parts so much so you don't even care what he is doing and it's most fmdefinitely a rang in performance by him.

I would only give this film a 5 out of 10. Its average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Agree with Disney+ playing a factor but I don't think much evidence really points to a lack of 'justification' to go see MCU movies post Endgame.

Just looking post COVID, MCU has 2 of the top 10 grossing movies this year, 3 of top 8 last year, 3 of top 11 the year before. Then Far from Home was 4th in 2019. The majority of all of these are front loaded, as the audience are eager to see it first, FOMO, and likely to avoid spoilers - that is the the core of their justification rather than movie quality.

MCU appear to have broken this with the Marvels, due to factors both in and out of their control, and that is now a dangerous place to be for them and you can tell they're worried given their pause.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Far from home was only 4th? Honestly that's very surprising given what that film offered through its 3 spideys I'd have surely put that number 1. I'd also like to know what the projections were for the various films cos There's more to success than box office after all, especially relative to expected patterns. DC's retooling of the Synderverse started cos batman v superman "underperformed" despite a 900 million box office; not that Warners' ongoing maniacal behaviour is a great benchmark either, but it speaks to how pure numbers can't tell the whole story WRT Hollywood.

The Marvels failing might only crystallise a stuttering since EndGame, albeit one with a hitherto uncertain sense of box office failure. But audiences won't follow lukewarm or poor offerings forever either, especially if as I say, you're paying for the film already by way of the Disney sub. This film failing will certainly bring out the obituaries quick enough, rightly or wrongly.

Undoubtedly there's bias from my PoV given as I was al set to go to To this but stopped, precisely because Disney+ will have it soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,415 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Endgame was number 1 in 2019.

No way home had the 3 in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,346 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have to admit, I enjoyed it. It's definitely lower-mid tier of the MCU, but there was enough there to enjoy throughout, it didn't overstay its welcome, and maybe because my expectations have been lowered due to Love & Thunder and Quantumania but there was nothing egregiously wrong or annoying about the film either.

It definitely has its flaws. There's f*ck all lead-in for people who haven't seen Ms.Marvel and Wandavision (there's a bit for Ms.Marvel but mostly focuses on her infatuation with Carol rather than her powers/bangle, and just one throwaway line to explain what happened to Monica). There are huge holes in some bits (Kamala switches with Carol while in her Ms.Marvel outfit, then falls out of the sky in normal clothes, plus later in the film she uses her powers without having the bangles). And the villain is just Generic Villain Ver.28. I also think Sam Jackson went too comedic, and Brie Larson too stoic. The singing planet was also a decent idea on paper but annoying on film.

That said, I enjoyed the three Marvels for the most part. A lot of the swapping was really well done and made for interesting set pieces, and ultimately the good parts of the film pretty much all centre around Iman Vellani, who is just absolutely terrific in everything she does. The end scenes both give something to look forward to as well.

So yeah, not one of the worst MCU films, but not even nearly a great one either.

That said, after leaving the cinema last night I couldn't help think; I wish this had been a TV show and Loki Season 2 had been a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shoot. I was thinking of No Way Home. Man those names have always tripped me up;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Marvel need to stop making movies and tv shows for about 10 years.....

Fùck me even fans of this shìt are sick of it.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I'd say there'll almost definitely be a reboot of sorts after Secret Wars. Though of course they won't want to announce that or else they'll end up like the last year of DCEU films where people don't care because the entire DCEU is going to be rebooted.

Agree with the lukewarm part - there has been too much of that, though I strongly disagree when people say everything or even the majority since EndGame falls into that bucket.

I don't think The Marvels is a good bell weather for where the MCU is because in my opinion it is suffering more than most movies due to the strikes. Given that unfortunately a decent proportion of people simply do not like female action leads it was always fighting uphill. They really needed the actresses out to push it in the media to get casual female audience to go - the effect that happened for the first Captain Marvel and Barbie.

Having said that, though the movie will undeservedly be the first real failure for the MCU, it is for the best. Think Marvel has finally realised they can't go in with lukewarm movies with their B, C, or even D tier characters and get big returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It's over. Infinity War and Endgame were a once in a lifetime, decade in the making cultural zeitgeist moment. You can't start over and expect people to re-invest. This decade will be about something else. Most likely video game adaptations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Do they expect people to just turn up as the same old stories and characters are just recast and rehashed? I think Infinity War and Endgame were the perfect points to call it a day - a massive finale with everyone turning up and contributing. To go from that to by the numbers stuff like The Marvels is a bit deflating. As people move on from Marvel, it's going to be impossible to capture the same energy from new characters and cast members.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Oh it'll not be as successful, but there is now a spreading feeling that the MCU isn't what it was and likely won't be again, Marvel have lost a lot of their big characters, and actors will continue to drop out as they've put in their time already.

So MCU will probably do what tends to happen in comics; a quasi-reboot where they can recast roles or things that fans haven't liked, integrate it with new characters they now have the rights to that they didn't before, and try to recapture what was essentially lightning in a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,294 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

When the mutants arrive we likely wont see too much of this phase of characters anyway so recasts really arent even necessary.

People have continued to go to MCU movies - again and again being in the annual top box office. They just made a bit of mess of the move onto the next big overarching story, big part out of their control.

Many are dying to see X-Men on big screen again under Marvel control. It might never get to Endgame levels but they continue to make good money and satisfy audiences for many years to come.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How is it out of their control when Marvel own the characters and employ the cast, the writers, the directors, etc?

Nobody is dying to see the X-Men on screen. A lot of people would go but nobody is "dying" to see that now when so many of the original cast of both the MCU and the X-Men films have stepped down.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The arrival of the X-Men will be eagerly awaited, it's just a question about how eagerly awaited they are. I've read a weirdly desperate, hopeful belief the X-Men are gonna be the shot in the arm for the MCU; that when they arrive all will be well again. That's a lot of hype and expectation and it'll remain to be seen how effective they'll be

I don't know about "dying", but certainly having the MCU doing a new version of the X-Men, given how shaky Fox's treatment of them was, would definitely be something to look forward to. I imagine we might get the likes of Jackman, Stewart and even Kelsey Grammer as Beast up until Secret Wars, but after that they'd either have to recast or focus on different X-Men. Stewart is aging gracefully but he's over 80 now. Jackman is likely only coming back as a favour to Reynolds and one last MCU payday, and I like Grammer's performance as Beast but the CGI of him felt a bit off during the post credits of the Marvels, I'd rather they just recast all the X-Men and start from scratch.

The MCU getting all the rights back from Fox, and the Netflix characters, is definitely something to look forward to, as they were missing some big names throughout. I'd be excited to see what the MCU could do with them following Secret Wars. It'll almost certainly be centered around X-Men and the Fantastic Four

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

rumours that Tom Holland signed on for 6 new projects, a spiderman trilogy and 3 others, probably avengers/daredevil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The problem is that the X-Men never really went away. You can still see Hugh Jackman as Wolverine next summer. Also, the uniqueness of the X-Men story as a parallel for civil rights struggles and discrimination is not a fit for a world in where gods and aliens already exist.

I'll be curious cos Holland seems to have diversified his portfolio of late; I'd not be surprised if he's done with the MCU. Or else taking a break.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough. I just think that Infinity War and Endgame were once in a generation cinematic events and that that's always going to be the high point for Marvel. I've no idea what Secret Wars is. It may well be very, very good but the MCU isn't far off being 20 years old. It can't stay fresh and relevant forever.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 45,230 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I like it. First half was better than the second half. The theme around one location I didn't like at all. But thought it did rs over from the to a decent degree.

Thought it was funny and engaging, leads were all good. Training montage was fun. Enjoyed the cat stuff too.

I think that's it. EndGame was seismic and arguably the biggest pop culture event since Star Wars - and the series should have stopped there. A 10 year pause and at most the TV shows could have kept the flavour in people's mouths without saturating the palette.

I hadn't realised just how invested I had become in the MCU until I said goodbye to the various Phase 1 mainstays during the Victory Lap that was much of EndGame; it felt like an end of things, the closing of the book with side stories continuing elsewhere. But call it hubris or miscalculation, the Variety article clearly shows the post Endgame decisions have been the wrong ones.

The impact of COVID, the writers/actors strike, and the death of Boseman are absolutely out of their control. The first two have had a huge impact on the entire industry but the MCU feel it even more due to the interconnectedness of that larger story.

Fans are absolutely dying to see X-Men back again. Look at the impact of Professor X showing up or the mere mention of mutant in Ms Marvel. It is questionable how enthusiastic the wider public are, however X-Men have historically been one of the best known comics and we've seen how well Spider-man has done since being brought into the MCU.

You keep saying people are "dying" for it but I see no indication that that's the case. Sure, it'll put a few bums on seats but that's about it. The MCU can't have the same impact that it had years ago because it's lost too many people and Marvel are just doing the same thing over and over again. The X-Men won't change that.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Even Deadpool only had a 1 film run. The second was a lazy mess and I've no interest whatsoever in seeing Jackman return, and I've got a copy of The Wolverine on dvd. The last 2 "first class" cast films were duds. People are no more clamouring for more xmen films than they are for an umpteenth reintroduction of the fantastic 4.

I liked both Deadpools I have to say. X-Men is very hit or miss compared to the MCU as a whole. The Last Stand, Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse are abysmal. I couldn't care less if the characters return to the big screen or not. I'd say most people have more or less forgotten about them at this point. Dark Phoenix came out nearly 5 years ago.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

Saw it today. Very poor across the board. Another terrible villain. Useless plot. Really lazy stuff.

Can't believe it's sitting at 62 on RT. Beggers belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

The villian is Loki's fiancé

• Advertisement

Are you complaining about semantics of the word 'dying'?

I never said it will get to the same levels as Endgame - that is a moment in time that isn't coming back.

Putting 'bums on seats' is literally what we're talking about so you're agreeing with me.

Advertisement