Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marvels - MCU

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Who did you think was just put in there for their race? Iman Vellani is by a mile the highlight of the film - and one of the best things in the MCU right now - and Teyonah Parris is a pretty accomplished actor and did a good job here imo.

And the characters are women... like, they're all preexisting long established characters who are all women, so they're played by women.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wish people would stop peddling this tedious drivel. The film had flaws but none of that had anything to do with the leads.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The budget I used for the loss was 220m is with the tax breaks, it was meant to be 270m without.

Movies that don't do well don't generally have great merchandising.

I doubt anyone is going to pay large rights to stream or televise this, and even on Disney's own platform where it's really just moving money they aren't going to over value it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

No disagreement that this is a failure and an underserved one.

Also agree that box office vs budget makes sense, especially with the limited info we have as outsiders. Sometimes, like with MCU, they'd be ok with making less profit on an individual movie as an investment to future profits in others but I agree with the general rule.

My issue was when people start bringing in stuff like wild guesses at marketing costs, as it doesn't make sense to do that if you're not taking into account other revenue streams - which benefit some movies far more than others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: As ever, any lazy culture war trolling will result in warnings or bans. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Very much. In fact I'd have enjoyed Captain Marvel if it had been this characterisation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Iger was babble about “too many sequels” but if there is no sequels then the franchises dies.

I think you misunderstood my post. I’m talking about Iger saying there wasn’t enough executives on the set for this film to micromanage and interfere. That is is just bizarre

Also Disney tried to throw Nia daCosta under the bus when the film failed at the box office. But that isn’t anything to do with her or the movie. People not going to see the movie is the problem and has nothing to do with whether a film is good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

They don't need sequels for all characters, some can have their origin introduction and then live in the universe, appearing in ensemble movies or more popular character sequels. Hulk has been a core MCU character without ever needing a sequel. One of Marvel's biggest issues since Endgame is that they are churning out movies and shows that people simply don't want - every character doesn't need to be shoved into the spotlight. Audiences will go to a movie with a character they aren't interested in the odd time but when nearly every movie is like that they'll just give up.

I didn't misunderstand your post. The Marvels had a huge amount of cuts and reshoots once executives got their hands on the movie. For example, apparently they filmed a huge amount more of them singing on the planet and was in the original cut - general consensus I've read is that people found the short amount included in the movie annoying. Whether you agree or disagree with executives being involved on set, the fact is that it should avoid at least some of the consistent reshoots and costs everything MCU seems to be dealing with. If the movies are going to end up aligning with what the executives want in the end either way, then they might as well be involved in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

watched it a few weeks ago in the cinema - its not bad.. not amazing.. certainly better than the last Thor which just descended into absurdity..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Coming to Disney+ on the 7th of February

Post edited by flazio on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Watched The Marvels last night. It wasn't as bad as I remember.

Iman Vellani is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not as bad as I expected. I actually preferred it over Captain Marvel, which I really disliked. I also preferred it over Blue Beetle, another I watched recently, which was so incredibly uninspired I stopped watching half way through and never went back.

I'd probably put it on a similar footing with something like Quantumania.

The three leads have genuinely good chemistry, Ms. Marvel was definitely the stand out. So much so I'll probably go watch Ms. Marvel now. Brie Larson was fine, villain was serviceable.

Pretty forgettable overall and the plot is extremely generic, but there is some fun to be had and it's extremely short at just 90 minutes so there's very few dull moments.

Very interesting mid-credits scene, not at all what I expected. Not sure where they're going to go with that.

Honestly though I struggle to understand the absolutely titanic budget it had.

I also think it's fair to criticise the director given she also wrote the movie. I don't see anything particularly wrong with the direction, but the story is all within an incredibly formulaic framework we've seen infinite times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I couldn't actually get through Quantumania. So this was a lot better IMHO. Not to say it was particularly good. Vellani was the life of the movie. The singing sequence and the cat scene were the strongest parts of the movie imho. The cat scene had me genuinely laughing and and those two scenes in general actually felt like the actors were enjoying their roles.

The big aspect for me that ultimately made it feel pretty poor for me was that it was so disjointed. Starting off, it felt like I'd almost joined a movie midway through. Jumping galaxies every five seconds felt like nothing had the opportunity to develop. It just felt very unmemorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Watched it Saturday and would agree that it is more enjoyable than captain Marvel. Leads good. Story ok.

I didn't really get why there were two other people with marvel powers. I may have missed a prequel or tv spin off ...

Aul' Samuel Jackson must have a pain in his balls playing that character in bit parts of those movies.

Singing was annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ms.Marvel got her powers in her own Disney+ show. Monica got her powers in the Wandavision Disney+ show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Quick summary for both given in the movie as well.

I was wondering about Kamala's powers since they seemed to be based around the bracelet yet she was still able to use them when she removed it. United it just amplifier the powers.

Trying to remember if she always had the bracelet in the series when using powers. Maybe mutant powers?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I can barely remember, but I think because she's a descendant of whatever group, and possibly also a mutant, I think she can still use the powers to some degree. It could be a Mjolnir type of thing, where the power comes from Thor, but Mjolnir was just the tool to help him focus and use the powers better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Henry said she had a mutation compared to her family in the final scene (tracked by a tease of the X-Men Theme).

And shes retconned to being a mutant and X-Man in comics now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

His name name isn't Henry. Would have been funnier if you called him Brian. But it's actually Bruno.

Kamala's great grandmother, Ayesha was a member of a celestial people called the D'jin. Something similar to the people Shang Chi comes from.

Ah crap he was Henry on The Walking Dead, thats what happened there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

This was one of my problems with Ms. Marvel. She got her powers from a bracelet, no she a descendent of ailen race, no she's a mutant.

Which one is it? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Got round watching this recently and I thought it was pretty good. Far better than some bashing it got on release would lead you to believe. Ms Marvel was great, and was a perfect balance to the tension between Rambeau and Captain Marvel. The visual were popping in this. Crisp, clear, vibrant. The action was great too with the entanglement twist on it. This felt like Marvel got their mojo back between being character driven with action but also using humour well... the "let the Flerkins eat you" scene 😅

It's not without it's flaws though. The singing planet was immediately grating and then abandoned really quickly (thankfully). Bringing Ms Marvel's parents up to the station felt out of place and entirely unnecessary, and only served as a convenient way for Ms Marvel to interact with her parents occasionally. The villain was the biggest disappointment though. Given this is a race we're already familiar with, and the motivation and evil plan were solid, the casting of the Dar-Benn was woeful. She just had no menace about her. There was no pain or anger behind her plan or interactions with Captain Marvel. One of the limpest villains since the Dark Elf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Finally got around to seeing this. It is refreshing to see that, thankfully, the main positive notes about this film are in reference to Ms Marvel. Barely a woke-troll in sight.

Because she is just great. She has GREAT sense of comic timing (Hew seeing the Flerkle/cat/whatever thing eat someone for the first time is hilarious). Her infatuation/girl-crush of Captain Marvel is very funny. I enjoyed her family (But I do agree with @Bacchus that their extended use was a bit out of place). But they were funny without being annoying and she brought heart to the overall movie and I REALLY hope she has a successful career.

As for the movie... Yeah, again I agree with @Bacchus the effects, especially the larger scenes, really were very pretty. Especially when compared to the Spy-Kids level of effects of Ant-Man 3.

I actually really liked the fight scenes. They were very well planned out and dynamic (You've seen the gist in the trailers: They swap positions and use this accidentally and intentionally in fights).

But I had NO investment in any of the characters apart from Ms Marvel: Not Captain Marvel (So wooden she should be Captain Ikea). Not Rambeau (Forgettable). Not Fury (Somehow also forgettable).

The Disney Princess planet didn't land for me. I just thought it was too silly. And yes, I DO realise the irony in saying that when you have walking/talking/fighting trees, talking racoons etc). I know it sounds silly but.... the LOGIC of them not understanding someone unless they sang didn't land for me.

I DID love Ms Marvel's reaction though and Rambeau's line along the lines of "This is gonna spawn some amount of Fan Fiction, huh?"

The baddie was a basic baddie of the week. TRYING to go for a Killmonger by attempting to give her a genuine beef but they didn't give the actor enough time/space and she just didn't have the gravitas.

I get that they were trying something different and fun in the climactic scenes but, again, I just don't think it worked.

I was never gone on the original movie. Not for some neckbeard moaning about "females" but simply because I wasn't gone on the performances and also the fact that her character was so powerful that they had to "Poochie" her in the last Avengers movies.

So, it's not terrible. It's not great. The characters are dull, unlikeable or forgettable. With the exception of Ms Marvel. The effects are well done. The fights are dynamic and fun. But it just doesn't hold together. I saw it on Disney +. I will complete Ms Marvel on the back of this. But I'm glad I didn't fork out extra money to see this in cinema

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I do have this in my backlog but ... I dunno. I'd jump if this was some hidden gem but "not as bad as the box office suggests" ain't a low enough bar that it keeps the film from being passed-out by other films in my watchlist.

Quantumania and Secret Invasion was the one-two punch that killed my enthusiasm for the MCU stone dead it seems; haven't been able to get over both since. Guardians 3 felt like a last hurrah from a creative force no longer present in the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

And I can understand that Ant-Man 3, as I've said before, looked like a Spy-Kids movie without the fun and at least their hard lean into green-screen was partially a stylistic choice.

And as for Secret Wars: How do you take such an interesting idea and make it SO dull (And the less said about the climactic fight, the better. Just look at the Pitch Meeting sketch for that)

And, TBH, that's what Marvels is: "Not as bad as you'd think" but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

How do you take such an interesting idea and make it SO dull 

That was my sum up of Venom 2.

Admittedly my expectations were set pretty low for Venom 1, but I loved it. So with Venom 2, co-starring one of my favourite actors, Woody Harrelson, I had maybe set my expectations too high. So yeah, how do you take an interesting idea, two established characters, two great leads, and then make such a dull movie?

Iman Vellani is literally the sole thing that makes this watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Recently watched this after not giving it a chance for a long time because of the negative reviews I'd heard about it. Decided it'd be an easy enough hangover watch and was pleasantly surprised by it. Yes there was some very poor CGI, not a great villain etc but it didn't deserve the hammering it's taken.

A very easy watch, probably won't ever get a re-watch just a solid 6/10 B grade superhero movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The cats were also pretty entertaining but felt like a much more fun movie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement