Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marvels - MCU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,353 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There are worse and this is a fun family film that should have been marketed for next weekend in the States when it’s Thanksgiving holidays for families

I didn’t see where The Marvels $200m+ budget went for a 90 minute movie to be honest.

The CGI seems to take up a huge part of these budgets some they really should look at because they have been ropey in across all these movies be it MCU/Star Wars/DC etc

Bree Larson and Samuel L Jackson might have gotten a big paychecks.

The budget just seems crazy for this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well hopefully it's the upstairs management that suffer and not the onscreen or floor staff because they don't deserve to be hung out to dry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC there were rumours of reshoots as well? That's never gonna come cheap depending on extensive they were - Solo cost $350 million cos they shot that movie twice over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thor 3 is hated? I thought that one was well received, no?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I suppose after the very ropey reception the first one got this one was always gunna struggle.

Larsen just isn't likeable so after the first how many movie fans would bother with a sequel?

And I guess if you didn't watch WandaVision and Ms. Marvel the 2 other Marvels wouldn't mean much to entice someone to go see it.

Shame as Rambeau and Kamala were great but I guess the damage was already done.

I really hope a tank like this so early in her career effects Velani in the future. Shes great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh wait, Thor 4 sorry. Forgot the Dark World lol, went Thor 1 to Ragnarok.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Whenever I hear reshoots I always think of the tri-filmed/edited/rewrote crap shoot that was New Mutants haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, if it wasn't for Avengers Endgame, I don't think anyone would remember Dark World existed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I liked Thor 4. The Dark World was the one I didn't care for.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think 4 was better liked than 2 but to a lot of people including me thought it was a tonally all over the place. They were trying to make a comedy out of what was on paper a sad story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wonder in hindsight whether Marvel will have regrets not pushing this into next year, especially with them making the decision later to knock nearly all of the 2024 movies into 2025. That decision was made even for the likes of Dune, which appears to have more positive hype but those upstairs were clearly not confident enough to put it out without their stars being available to push the movie.

This probably would have still failed but would be surprised if the cast going on tour wouldn't have improved numbers. Likely would have been tough to do it again though, seeing how the movie originally was supposed to come out summer 2022 before being pushed back multiple times.

Really shows how those decisions have impacted general momentum, as the Young Avengers tease would have come quite soon after Hawkeye if they'd kept the original date rather than a loose end hanging out there for nearly two years. Given the delay of all other movies, we'll likely have to wait years for the next step in them coming together

My kids absolutely loved this and I would have much preferred this version of Captain Marvel as opposed to in her solo outing and Avengers. Here she was, at least, flawed and able to grow while actually showing some emotion.

Weird film though: Cut-price Ronan actually won. She got to destroy two planets and have hers saved.

The Young Avengers will be middle aged by the time they actually get around to making it as either a series or a film.

It's not going to happen till at least 2027 at this stage 6 years after Yelena and Katie were introduced.

It'll never happen. It'll be all about the X-Men from Deadpool 3 on

2 is, by far, a better film. Wasted Eccleston but a much better film.

4 is an absolute mess and shows that Taika Waititi needs a short leash. In retrospect the warning signs were there in Ragnorak (especially with his ego driven evisceration of Korg)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Wrong thread

Post edited by Ardent on

You reckon Vellani and Steinfield are finished at Marvel? Apart from the former joining the comic writing team?

Nope, where do you see me say that? But I don't see a Young Avengers film getting made. Maybe something along the line of The Defenders but no theatrical release

I'd agree Young Avengers seems more suited to Disney+ than big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

There are multiple non X-men movies that are in the works that I doubt they'll be shelving and I dont think it is possible even if they wanted to given where they are in the Phase.

Young Avengers will happen in some format, they would have just taken out that last scene if they were even considering not moving forward with it. Agree though that it'll hopefully be a series, didn't mean to imply a movie. Just meant that with all the backlog they have and how they're reworking things it is going to take a while to course correct. Feel their plan was originally for a movie but with the broader pullback I cant see them moving ahead with it.

• Advertisement

The previous two movies that came out around this time of the year, Eternals and Wakanda Forever, weren't put onto Disney+ until late January early February.

With the Marvels I wouldn't rule out a Christmas week release just to get it out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As is often the case, hard to disagree with their take on most things

"What's a Marvel movie without a little homework?"

Possibly the most low-key yet incisive critique of latter-day MCU I've yet heard/read.

Love the Pitch Meeting series; they always straddle the line between both salty & yet also still enthused for the movies? Like even when they're totally dumping on a thing they never strike as overly bítchy.

Iman Vellani really does have a head on her shoulders for someone so young, loved her answer when asked about The Marvels bombing at the box office she gave a true and great response.

“I don’t want to focus on something that’s not even in my control, because what’s the point?” she said. “That’s for Bob Iger.”

“[The box office] has nothing to do with me,” Vellani continued. “I’m happy with the finished product, and the people that I care about enjoyed the film.

It’s genuinely a good time watching this movie, and that’s all we can ask for with these films. It has superheroes, it take place in space, it’s not that deep and it’s about teamwork and sisterhood. It’s a fun movie, and I’m just so happy that I can share it with people.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, again, I haven't seen the movie (So won't critique it). I watched a couple of episodes of Ms Marvel but it wasn't for me but the girl was a delight and I hope she has a successful career. Maybe away from the MCU. She has time.

If Kang is somehow entwined in this, at least tangentially (I know there is some other baddie I don't care about in it) then that's a problem. As has been said before, Kang just isn't Thanos.

I mean, for me, I'm still confusing the name with Krang from TMNT. I mean he's been bested at least a couple of times now. His mannerisms in most of Loki was annoying (Although I did finally finish Loki and, yeah, as someone said, the 2nd half is MUCH better). But yeah. He's pretty forgettable as someone who it supposed to shape the next 4 or 5 years (Or more) of movies. That scene at the end of Ant-Man actually made me laugh and that's not good.

I do think it's a bit unfair comparing the MCU to Spiderverse. In fairness to Sony, they REALLY went out on a limb here (In a way they didn't with their live-action Spider movies. Look at that truly God-awful Madame Spider trailer. Mokes Mobius look like a masterpiece). Sony really took a chance on Spiderverse that certainly surprised me. And it changed Western animation forever. Meet The Mitchells involved a lot of the same people and studio so to be expected but look at the latest TMNT movie. Look at the latest Puss In Boots (You actually shoud, it's pretty good). Especially the action sequences. I mean even look at that Disney movie Wish. It's more subtle there but there are definitely aspects (The slightly two-dimensional look, the heavier lines, especially look at the hands)

Iman Vellani might yet save the MCU all by herself, she has won a lot of people over with her natural charm - and like others haven't watched neither the TV series or this film (yet). I'd not be surprised if her footprint on the MCU suddenly becomes a modicum larger due to the very positive response to her own natural positivity.

And yeah, asking her about the bombing of this film is a bit inane: sure some actors would have their earnings tied into the box office, and maybe Vellani's own is as well, but ultimately the success of a film is always gonna rank very low for a given actors vs. the experience they had making the thing, or the process they went through for their character. It's often not about the money.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is Iman Vellani the MCU's first great 'discovery'? There have certainly been a few actors the films have propelled to greater prominence, especially supporting players, but in general, the leads have usually been relatively well-known or at least pretty experienced.

Vellani seems like the first lead they seem to have organically discovered - and it was by all accounts a damn good call. I'm struggling to think of many others - even the likes of Letitia Wright had a decent track record in lower-profile film and TV.

I can't imagine there's anyone who comes close: Ms. Marvel was Vellani's first acting role full stop - so she literally came out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Honestly, it's somewhat impressive in general. Eg pretty much any of the stars of the Arrowverse etc are entirely unsuitable to make any leap into serious acting. Vellani just has a quality that I could see translating into any cinema/tv in general and I very much so hope she doesn't limit herself to just Marvel. Ms Marvel definitely got a lot more freedom in terms of creative direction so it extended to casting, I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

The bigger issue with Ms. Marvel is the same for everybody in this wave.

Where is the follow up? Far as I am aware there is no season 2 for Ms. Marvel, same for she hulk and moon knight.

The etenarls are done, but left everything on a cliffhanger, plus brought in starfox and blade. No sign of them. Daredevil back to square one. Kate Bishop might be in a young avengers thing but probably 2 years down the line at least, won't be that young.

Shang chi just chilling somewhere. There talk of them.doing wonder man, great another new character.

Advertisement