Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭ratracer

Ugh!! Tough result. How was the atmosphere in EDP?

Watching on LOI TV, a couple of things non-play related: the camera angle from the gantry and the camera work in general is shocking! Is it still the automatic camera or was it a live person? Can’t see down the near touch line at all.

How is the pitch so bad for the first game of the season? Normally it’s top notch, but it looked terrible after 10 mins.

On the pitch, were caught bad for the goal, but not too bad after. The new signings looked ok when they came on. Costello looks to have fast feet.

Once again though, the “star” 🙄 of the show was the ref! Couldn’t buy a free all game, and even if Walshy told him what he really thought of him, it was a disgraceful red card. Could have had 3 pens in the game ( I think, looking from the crap camera angles)

A good few positives though, hopefully they regroup and refocus before next Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Haven't been following any news about United for a while. I have not heard much from John Caulfield re transfers but has he brought in many new players over the last few months to strengthen the squad? Do we have a squad strong enough to compete this year or is it a case of just trying to survive in the Premier Division? Where realistically will we finish the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

None of the shouts for penalties were worthy ones. If any were given it would have been beyond soft. We huffed and puffed, never troubled their keeper. But we were solid, it's what we all knew going into the season, we'll struggle for goals but be relatively solid.

The camera in the old stand has always had the problem of not seeing the touchline, it's too close to the edge of it from above. No excuse for what Walshy did, it's brain dead stuff, he's played over 300 games and has never learned. onto next week.

Cheers Ben,

Thanks for clarifying, as I said, camera view was shocking, and even the misted over lens made things worse!

Still a soft red for basically shouting at the ref though! I’d say even Walshy was surprised to get his marching orders for it.

Before the game I’d have been happy with a point, other results mean it’s not so bad, let’s see how we progress!

Ya, look our season won't be defined by games against Rovers, Pat's et al. We need points in the games against Dundalk and Waterford. Bohs fans very downbeat after their game tonight. Saying Devine has 10 games max to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They weren't outclassed, but they never really troubled Pats either. I didn't think any of the penalties looked like stonewallers tbh. I thought the ref seemed to favour Pats a bit in the 50/50 decisions.

The red card came at a time in the second half were maybe they were threatening to build up a head of steam.

Overall, as losses go, it wasn't a terrible one. They competed and hopefully they can learn from it.

Your second paragraph is spot on. That's what's so galling about Walshy doing it, we'd finally created a half chance and then he goes and loses the head over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Its odd, there was obviously more than one camera. Not sure why they didn't cut away to the 2nd camera more often. It makes sense to film from that side as you can see the full stand but its no good being unable to see the action when the ball goes down the corner. May have been better seeing the empty stand.

Last season, the Ecofuel stand was empty most of the matches. I had brought it up with the club last season that matches on LOITV were typically showing a very empty stand whereas when at the matches last season, more often than not the Comer Stand was full. The head of RTE had said showing LoI was not appealing due to the visual presentation since facilities are subpar. The Ecofuel stand is pretty old. The Comer Stand looks great. They had said at that point that they required broadband for the stream at the connection was into the media box in the Comer Stand, thus why they filmed from that side. They were going to work on getting something set back up on the Ecofuel side which obviously happened but they seem to be operating primarily single camera. It would be great if they could stick another camera in the media box and switch when the ball goes down the corners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Maybe it was a combination of first game nerves & the weather but I thought we played a lot of long balls. Reminded me of LOI from 15 years ago.

V good at crossing the ball but didn't get many good connections (one excellent cross & header in first half but straight at their keeper).

Is having 2 players at the ball for each corner a waste of one player? Didn't see any good come from it, bar one move that was messed up.

Long balls, you're new to Caulfield are you?

2 man set pieces worked last season, no reason to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

LOL, I'm from Cork and cheered him on from The Shed for years (last century...).

I've been to my fair share of games in Galway and thought they passed more, albeit against lesser teams.

Last season we played a better brand but prior to that it was grim. JC is a conservative manager and will always fall back on hoofball when in doubt.

What a great result to get our first 3pts on the board.

2 great goals, and a good performance from the lads. Some good passages of play both attacking and even more-so defensively.

It’s gonna be a tough game against an in-form Waterford in EDP next week!

Great win and performance tonight. O'Sullivan was MoTM for me, he was superb, held it up, brought others into it, great runs, worked his arse off. Next week will be very tough and a completely different kind of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Brilliant win. Was delighted to see them really go for it with the 2023 blueprint rather than the sloppy showing last week. O'Sullivan was a strange one: put in a fantastic shift and created chances I'm not even sure Walshy would make space for but his shooting was horrific. Ed, Dervin and Clarke were brilliant.

Great way to bounce back missing Walshy, Wass and Buckley. Assuming Francely was injured today if he didn't come on too but that second half was made for him, not that Kazeem was bad by any means.

Can only think of two shots O'Sullivan had, the one on one that the keeper saved and the one he hit well but dragged just wide. Can't knock anything about his performance. We managed the game brilliantly, didn't need to bring on Francely as he doesn't offer as much in terms of game intelligence compared to those that did come on.

He missed two literal one on ones that he made way too easy for the keeper. Those misses were my only gripe but he still worked his bollocks off so I'll elt him off. Those misses could've cost us against a better side.

Agree with most. O'Sullivan was class but his finishing let him down. He had 2 chances that seemed easier to score than miss. Clarke and the back 4 were immense, particularly Brouder. Waterford have signed a lot of good players the last few weeks, it will be a tough one on Friday.

• Advertisement

Tickets are available online for the Waterford match on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Should come close to a sell out.

Are GU supporters running buses to away matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Cheers. Dont suppose you could share the details, assuming its not top secret

Spotted this on FB, not sure if it’s a bus full of young lads on Buckfast though:

Could be a bit of a laugh on the journey!

Official website or the fans forum will have details.

The maroon army bus is a welcome addition. Seemed to be a lot of whinging on the Fan Forum between some of our older diehards and the younger lads over the behaviour of the youngsters. Hopefully the two buses can keep going for the full season.

I’ve never been on either, but it’s great to have the option of both for supporters! Building the travelling support is important, and there’s a need for both.

I’d be opting for the quiet bus myself for the ZZZ’s 😂😂

Big result tonight. 3rd in the table after 2 wins on the bounce. All without Walshy or Wassim too.

• Advertisement

Great performance and great belief from the players coming back second half. 6 points from 9, we'd have all taken that before the season started.

Advertisement