Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United thread

Options
  • 24-03-2023 11:20pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As proposed by posters, here is a new thread for Galway Utd. Anything from match previews to stats to reviews all welcome, enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Hard fought win tonight.

Maximum points. Healthy sized crowd. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Scrappy match and a sense it wasn't going to fall in our favour with the early penalty miss and Manning skying 2 great opportunities but champions pull it out of the fire. The team has been playing with much more intensity this season and using Manning and McCarthy very well. Gone are the days of hoofball it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A poor performance from an attacking point of view. Keita and Walshy were poor up top. How Manley wasn't in before Francely is just bizarre. Manley must have shat in one of Jollies breakfasts.

Thought Keita did well early on but they were knockin balls up to him to head on and Walsh wasn't reading it. Pity because Keita is very good at holding off players while receiving ball to feet and feeding others. Also much better touch and shot than Lomboto who replaced him.

Also, does Ollie now have as many yellows as the whole playing squad put together? It's like he's going for a record 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It's great to see them top of the league. Even if it's not the top league it's still great.

Think Sean Connor. How many defeats did he have in one season?

Anyone know what the attendances are like and in is there anywhere we can find that out online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

2,304 v Treaty Utd

1,870 v Kerry

1,550 v Longford

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭ratracer

It’s been a great start, hopefully we don’t have a last third slump like last year! Really need to just win the league, the playoffs are way too much of a lottery!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Redkite200

Great to see the team going well. I haven't been to Terryland in years as I've been away from the city.

How much is admission to home games for adults now guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Nice handy trip to Athlone on Friday night, ( in terms of travel that is!)

Hope the lads can keep up the 💯 % run! 🤞🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Great to see this thread here.

Great start for United too, long may it continue. Promotion is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It's badly needed. The biggest city in the west without a Premier League team is not good. But we have never been a top footballing city in national terms. Why is that? Is it all down to money I wonder? Does United have a proper profile in the city? Is it lack of publicity?

But it's great to see them do well. And always great to see our president there too. Not just a fair weather supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

United are starting to get a lot more younger fans in than I've seen in probably 15 years. I think if they manage to not fall asleep at the wheel again in the summer months this season there'll be a lot more casuals taking notice. The Christmas Shop in Eyre Square was a mighty idea and there's no coincidence as to why there's a lot more GUFC gear being worn around town.

Borden, Brendan Clarke and Slevin are having super campaigns so far too. Wouldn't rule out Waterford catching up with us under the new manager as there's a long ways to go yet but very encouraging start.

I won't lie, theres been evenings up there, that had more a vibe of a youth disco than a football match.

But I'll take my old man hat off for a minute and admit it's people through the gate and if a fraction of them develop an interest in the club it'll be a good thing.

Old stand is ideal if you want to have a bit of distance from the youngsters in the Section F. But bar a couple of rascals most of them are only there to sing a few songs and it keeps them away from mischief from 7.30 to 9.30 on a Friday. I was up to much worse at their age in fairness.

Absolutely. Sure once the match starts, they're cheering as loud as anybody.

Great result for the lads again last night, but the way we conceded the goal was a bit rubbish! Two penalties missed in two games is poor too!

But it never really looked like a win was in doubt, even after conceding. Waterford got the new manager bounce anyway with their 7-1 win over harps, thankfully there is a nice cushion to them, come the end of the season I think it will be them that will be our main challengers!

And just a little gripe……. Those two hometown clowns commentating on the game were absolutely pathetic, didn’t even try to be impartial at any stage of the game, surely LOI TV can do better??

I'm told Athlones coverage was excellent, great cameras, replays etc. Haven't heard anything about commentators.

The actual presentation was very good as regards replays, substitutions etc. The commentators were clearly home town biased. One of them had a son playing for Athlone for god's sake.

Comfortable win again last night. More of the same in EDP next Friday and it'll be a clean sweep of the first series of games.

• Advertisement

In fairness to them they play a lot better football this year. You'd have to imagine Horgan, despite being a bit demented on the sideline, seems to have them very well drilled. Also a massive improvement on the overreliance on Walshy last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TerryLand

its great to see that there is a bar in Terryland now. A proper with decent Guinness and you can watch the game on a big screen in there too.

I wouldn't do anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭maniac2003

Well played last night. Anywhere to see the goals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Great going for GU.

So whats changed this season, any particular players really stepping up to the plate this season above others?

Major upgrade on the keeper!!

But also Ollie coming in as assistant manager is much more attacking than JC would have been last season.

Ronan Manning has credited the change in style/performance to Ollie and Chris Collopy.

Borden, Clarke and Slevin have been big upgrades on what went before and have helped improve others too eg Ed, Hurley and McCormack.

Better signings, better attacking football and less reliance on Walsh (who has still been very good despite not scoring as much) has made a massive difference. I've had my doubts about Caulfield for a while but I think Ollie coming in has made a big impact too (despite being mouthy as ever on the sideline).

I've no doubt we'll drop points at some stage but they've been excellent so far. Here's hoping we avoid the Summer slump again.

Waterford seem to have got their house in order, need to keep up the pressure at the weekend now, hopefully keep winning.

It’s local clubs night at EDP, so should be a huge crowd up the Dyke!

• Advertisement

The Waterford game Friday week is huge. Realistically neither club should be dropping points in any other games.

Advertisement