Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Great start to the season 🙌

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I've always struggled to register on that bloody top secret forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭ratracer

Great come back last night. Waterford didn’t particularly do much, had one chance on the first half, and took it brilliantly, but never really pushed on.

Whether it was the dreadful surface affecting play, there were a lot of sloppy misplaced passes by United, but at half time i felt it was gonna be a home win. Some good passages of play, and still plenty of scope for improvement. Dervan was immense, as was McCormack.

As said above, 6 out of 9 is probably where we hoped to be, get the Shels game out of the way on Monday and great to have the next two Fridays in EDP to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Strange one. Plenty of members posting there lately that haven't previously so doesn't seem to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Always thought it was a mobile browser issue. I'll have a crack again later.

• Advertisement

Very frustrating performance tonight. Never threatened the Shels goal, passing and set piece delivery was very poor throughout. Just toothless, Walshy would have made a difference in there tonight, O’Sullivan wasn’t at the races this evening.

It was always gonna be a tough place to get a result, roll on Friday night in EDP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Badly need Walshy and Wassim back. Tonight showed how limited O'Sullivan is but he was far from the only one. Thought Hurley and Borden were anonymous.

Big game now against Drogs on Friday

Much more negative here than on the forum. I play on a Monday so I'd don't see any of it. Heard we started brilliantly and then huffed and puffed with loads of set pieces. Was a bonus game anyway for me. Friday is the bigger game if the week.

I read some of the posts over there and it seemed a lot of folks called it positive. We never dangered really bar maybe Hickey's miss which should've been buried for a late point. Shels were there for the taking.

I'd be concerned that essential performers like Borden and Hurley are going missing for large spells leaving Badger, McCarthy and Dervin to do all the link up donkey work. 6/12 is a decent return but that Dundalk result in context isn't as impressive this week.

It’s hard to know what to take from the game against Drogheda. Just like at Shels, it was a lot of huff and puff with no end product. Had we two clear cut chances on goal?

Drogheda never even tried to win the game, they looked set up, and happy to play for an away point and fair play to them they did just that. They were quite happy knocking the ball around and keeping possession, whereas United were frantic and rushed on the ball. Borden in particular just lumped everything forward, even when a simpler pass was on. It was just a game that never went anywhere.

At the start of the season, I would probably have said a return of 7 pts out of 15 would be ok from the first 5 fixtures, but upfront doesn’t seem to be clicking just yet. It’s long way to go, and I’d still be confident that we won’t be involved in a relegation playoff at the end of the season.

Friday will be epic, hard to know if Rovers will sort out there dreadful start to the season in that time. I’d happily take a draw in that game right now!! Hopefully the big crowds continue for the season.

• Advertisement

Walshy missed a sitter of header from a first half corner, headed it straight at Deegan on the line. Ed should have also scored from the quick free kick first half. Bar those we were awful, just lumped it up at their big cbs all night.

I'd happily take a point from the Rovers game if offered it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Seemed to be a return to Caulfield hoofball. We have much more joy when there is a mixed style of play.

The pitch is brutal so playing football on the ground is difficult for now. We'll be horses for courses from game to game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Ground should be fine 4 weeks from now. No excuses then

Great win and equally great performance up in Derry tonight. Super defending and organisation throughout, kept Derry to 0 shots on target. Walshy took his goal brilliantly too.

Yep, couldn’t fault the lads tonight. I thought JC was nuts taking Dervan off, he was excellent and I thought he would have fed Walshy some good ball. Didn’t matter in the end, the goal chance came and was taken brilliantly. Worth the long trip up, hopefully we can get something at home to Bohs on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Didn't Deacy Park once win best football surface at some stage or other? Now it looks like it's ready to grow turnips there.

Ya it'd be great to get a win over Bohs Monday, hopefully Bohs loss tonight took more out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was a huge critic of Caulfield two years back but tonight really seemed to be years in the making. Suck the life out of the opposition, create two or three big chances and hopefully hit the mark. We were never going to be able to play the free-flowing style of 2023 but there's green shoots to be seen against the top teams. 10/21 points and we probably could be unbeaten if we had a marquee striker. I'd have taken that if it was offered before the Pats game.

We badly need to bring in a proper striker in the summer. I was so happy for Walshy to be the hero tonight but at the end of the day he's better off the bench at this level, who knows what Wass is up to and Costello has been overtaken by the 7 foot and extremely limited Hickey lad.

• Advertisement

Wass is due back in the next cupla weeks. O'Sullivan is perfect for games like tonight where it's all about movement, work and closing down but also having the extra bit of ability on the ball. Springing Walshy from the bench for 25 minutes or so is also a great weapon to have. One goal is going to be enough to win a lot of our games this season as we are rock solid defensively.

The Galway FA have been using and abusing it over the last few years. If the Comers eventually complete a takeover, they should plan to buy it outright and put some development effort in, imo.

There are rumors of a striker coming in around June/July. Waiting for an existing contract to expire. We'll see! But have to say the rumors about Ollie Horgan were going around for a few months before he was announced so there may be some truth here.

Not really rumours, we didn't sign a striker as the one they had lined up didn't get a work permit. They e had one or two on trial but they didn't work out so they're leaving it until the window to sort it out. Can't do any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Yes, there was a couple of sightings of himself and John together. One of them was over in the Canary Islands. It was bizarro world stuff but was actually true.

No, not that - there is a specific recent rumour around about signing an Irish lad who is playing over in England at the moment.

That's the Sean Maguire one, based on nothing but his history with JC and he'll be out of contract. We will be in for a striker, could be him, could be someone else.

• Advertisement

Maguire I can't see happening. I'd say Costello will getting released over the summer which would clear up maybe a fraction of what a player like Maguire would probably be looking for weekly. I doubt it'd be far off Gaffney or Hoban's wages.

Advertisement