Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

David Hurley has re-signed, great news.

Club shop open in the Galway Shopping Centre from tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Will there be a new jersey for the '24 season. And if so, when will it be on sale. Looking for a Christmas present for a nephew.

I read that the new home jersey will be available in the club shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Think it's unveiled over the weekend in the club shop. They might announce it later on today. They'd be wise to release it as earlier as possible for the Christmas shoppers.

Was in the pop up shop earlier.

Bit of confusion about the new jersey. Weren't sure if it's next week. Not sure if it's be available the pop-up shop.

• Advertisement

They expect it to be in by the 8th. The initial ones sent in for coop members to view weren't the best quality so were sent back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

Great to hear. The shop will help promote the club as much as anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

The new home kit is pretty nice, apart from the awful O’Neills logo. Great design.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ThePentagon

Bought the new jersey today. A return to a darker maroon colour after the more crimson shade on last season's jersey. It looks great.

Preferred last year's collar design and colour tbh. The white collar cheapens it a bit. Hopefully looks better in the flesh.

• Advertisement

It's received glowing praise over on r/leagueofireland

Nice start to the season at home to Pat’s! The other early stand out is Sham’s on Paddy’s weekend.

Roll on February! 💪💪

Tough start but at least a home game. Need to get the squad announced/,signed up now. Expecting at least 5/6 additions as well as a couple more to be re-signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Redkite200

Friendly v Kerry this evening at 7pm. I wonder will it be used to take a look at the fringe players or as a proper season warm up.

There's another friendly v Sligo before the season starts next month.

Kerry today, Sligo, Longford and home to Wexford before season starts. Team will be mostly regular squad and a few trialists who have had games over the last 3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

Well lads, any idea when tickets might come available for Feb 16th? Rory

Anyone know how many season tickets sold. Rovers and Pats doing some bragging online.

Rovers broke the 4k mark apparently

Club won't tell anyone how many but they've said we've broken our own season ticket sales record.

End of this month I'd say. They probably want to hold off another while in case they might tempt a few more on the fence about getting a season ticket. There'll be zero issue with availability though for Pats at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Redkite200

Decent run out last night by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

Cheers for the reply. I'd have thought there'd be a rush for the first home game back in the premier division, and v a dublin side. Anyway i'll l]keep an eye out. Sound.

Any ground improvements taking place or place. Considering the team is back in the Premier?

What improvements would you envisage? Bar something to keep away supporters off the pitch I don't think the ground needs much currently.

Wouldn't mind seeing the old stand re-engineered to remove the pillars. Spoils the view, especially when you're in the lower seats. Improved bar would be a bonus

It’d be great to see it raised like the Comer stand alright, but again, I suppose that’s the problem when only renting the ground. Can’t do much with it. I don’t think they can even change the food vendors!

Not been smart arsed but if your asking, a demolition of both stands and build a complete modern stand encircled ground is whats really needed. Despite been one of the better League of Ireland grounds its still way behind what we should be envisioning for the future. Serious money too of course!!

A more serious approach would be modernise the old stand and build a covered terrace to the left of the Comer.

I do dream of something like this though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Verlegh_Stadion#/media/File:20131027_Rat_Verlegh_Stadion.jpg

Pie in the sky isn't what you asked originally though. Sure we'd all love a great shiny stadium, but we don't have the demand or resources for that.

A covered terrace at the clubhouse end, maybe.

These aren't just improvements though like throwing in the bar under the Comer stand, these are full redevelopments that'd end up costing probably the guts of a few million in the end and take a couple of years. We don't have anywhere near enough sellouts as it is to justify increasing capacity and a bigger issue is the club's hands are tied because the Galway FA own the ground, not the Comers (the less property those wasters have the better).

There's clubs that were knocking on the doors of Champions League qualification like Shelbourne in 04 and Dundalk more recently that couldn't justify the cost of improvements or buying out the grounds. Shams don't own Tallaght and look how long it took Bohs to get going on fixing up Dalymount.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to not have poles in the Old Stand myself but it's very unlikely they'd have the money to even just change support beams until they'd at least established themselves as regulars in the Premier Division. You're almost looking for a Sportsground-level development for a club averaging 2k fans a game.

Theres no harm in dreaming big though. If Galway United led the way for that vision imagine how it would transform the city, not just the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No sign of tickets online for Friday's game?

Hardly all gone already?

Advertisement