Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie Kardashian is in a women's prison. Taoiseach's response to questions on this are here..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Will be interesting to see this as the top story in the Six One news and the feature on it on Prime Time later. Not to mention the editorials in the Indo and Times.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Actually what paperwork do you need to declare yourself the opposite gender?

You download a declaration, sign it and get it notarised and return it. You can then apply for an updated birth certificate

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/changing_to_your_preferred_gender.html

In terms of what you physically wish to do to your appearance or your body, that's entirely optional. You may choose to have medical interventions or dress in a way that reflects your gender as now recorded, or you may choose not to. Entirely up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its the classic easy option Irish response: "Sure everyone else is doing it"

Next it will be "older boys in Brussels made us do it and now we can't change it."

The real story here is that Irish political establishment will go along with any lunacy so long as it's the easiest option.

Remember that in the upcoming banking crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭apache

It's crazy what's been going on. Didn't know that about Prime Time. Will have to watch that. After meeting Barbie Kardasian it will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just to keep things in focus, there is also the matter of transwomen in Ladies Gaelic Football. I haven't seen the minister for Sport or the GAA comment on this yet, if anyone has I'd be delighted if you would share.

I'd be pulling my daughter out straight away, the sport is dangerous enough without hefty transwomen in the mix. It is all just so bizarre, I can't get my head around the complacency and acceptance of this ideology at all. I must be the outlier or thick or maybe I can see that the Emperor is bollok naked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Oddly enough there is a social media account open since 2015 claiming to be this person but using their original birth name , asking people to contact them about several media stories about their various court cases ,last post was dated 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd be in support of Self ID if it didn't conflate gender and sex.

When the Gender Recognition Act 2015 was brought into effect in Ireland, it immediately conflated gender and sex.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/act/25/section/18/enacted/en/html

"Where a gender recognition certificate is issued to a person the person’s gender shall from the date of that issue become for all purposes the preferred gender so that if the preferred gender is the male gender the person’s sex becomes that of a man, and if it is the female gender the person’s sex becomes that of a woman."

Now thanks to that terribly worded piece of legislation, a GRC makes you legally the opposite sex, so nonsense like violent males get put into a female prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Ultimately this individual is just gaming the system.

These type of cases pose some interesting and difficult questions about how a person like this should be dealt with inasmuch as they are both potentialy unsafe in an all male environment but at the same time pose a risk to others in an all female environment.

Given the content of the transcripts of that case the sentence being served and then off you pop back into society doesn't seem like a reasonable outcome as this person likely poses an ongoing threat to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Simon Harris referring to "International Best Practice" as justification for how we should deal with this individual is cowardly and idiotic.

In 1912 "International Best Practice" was that passenger Ships did not have to have enough lifeboats for all passengers on board and we all know how well that worked out.

Who does the strip search? Noone seems to want to do it.

• Advertisement

Odd how that type of rhetoric is wheeled out in these situations when the Irish establishment likes to talk about how this country has set precedents with the likes of the Criminal Assets Beureau.

Ultimately it's a means of saying "we don't have the stomach for dealing with this correctly".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭donaghs

Irish Times had an opinion piece after the LiveLive controversy, which touched on this sort of thing.

Manufactured outrage dominated RTÉ discussion on trans issues – The Irish Times

"The spectre of predatory men declaring themselves women just so they can access women’s toilets, prisons or changing rooms was raised."

Jennifer O'Connell referred to "manufactured outrage over farfetched scenarios".

And when something goes wrong the inquest will describe it as "a failure of imagination".

Looks like RTE have been made aware of this:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0322/1365692-prison-transgender/

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

I totally agree on pulling your daughter out of a team that that lets males who self ID as females play on their team and share their changing areas/showers with them but I really hope parents make it known that it is totally unacceptable otherwise it's the girls who lose out. It's hard to take a stand in the face of the inevitable accusations of being a "transphobic bigot", "far right fascist" and "why can't you just be kind" but it needs to be done so that sports are fair and safe for women and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I bet Minister for Wokeness Helen McEntee is glad she's on Maternity Leave at the moment and thus avoids having to deal with this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

When Ireland introduced self-id for trans people, I fully supported it. I thought it was the compassionate, progressive thing to do. Why not make it as easy as possible for people who feel they born in the wrong body to live in their preferred gender?

Then I started to read about egregious sexual crimes committed by women. Except they weren't, they were trans women. Barbie Kardashian was one of these, but when I first came across that case years ago in the Irish Times, they were a minor, so couldn't be named - so the crazy name didn't flag anything unusual. (I don't know how Leo can say he only heard about the case at the weekend).

Anyway, I'm still of the opinion that trans people deserve to live life as their authentic selves but I do believe that self-id has been exploited by a dangerous group of men. And they are men, with male patterns of offending. And they're supported by a group of activists who say that it's a hate crime to misgender them, so that newspapers report their crimes as committed by women, and refer to "she" & "her".

I feel so angry that we are allowed to be gaslighted by this group of misogynists, who threaten people (mostly women) who disagree with them with violence.

Now - I know that this doesn't mean that all trans people are violent, or misogynistic, or sexual predators. Not by any means! But the trans rights movement has been hijacked by people like this and who scream transphobia at anyone who speaks about this.

Barbie Kardashian is only one example, but there are many, many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Good old Ruth, really has her finger on the pulse about the issues she thinks people want highlighted.

No wonder she was dumped out in the last election.

Ruth was organising a March against the “epidemic of violence against women” this month.

Her recent tweets reveal how much she really cares about violence against women. E.g. re: the Kardashian issue she said “Forcing trans women to be in male prisons is dangerous & inhumane.”

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/protest-march-planned-amid-epidemic-of-violence-against-women-1440512.html

It's very hard to explain things here without being deleted.

Ok, I'll try and be diplomatic and stick to facts. So Barbie is intact. Barbie says they self identify as a woman. They are taking hormones. Is Barbie a woman? Have you met them?

Who searches Barbie in the garda cells and jails? It's a tough one and there are no clear guidelines. It is a penis after all.

• Advertisement

I have a feeling that the Gender Equality referendum might not be as easy a win as the Government thinks it will be. I hope there are ructions and I'd even be happy for the Right to do a merry dance about it. For once I will go with anyone who objects to the "voluntary genderism" of people. Now I know we are told that the referendum will be nothing to do with transgenderism and all that jazz, but unless they remove the Article altogether, I can't see what the word "woman" will be replaced with now.

Even thinking about it is giving me a headache of massive proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭thegame983

It will never not be funny to see politicians beclown themselves over this blatant nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Referendum won't happen is my guess.

I think they just announced it to deflect attention from the eviction issue.

That's an interesting take on it. Postponed until after the next election maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 85,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Oh Simon, Simon, Helen must delighted with him with her being off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And what is the current "international best practice"?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,573 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I heard it was us, and that Scotland copied us as we followed International Best Practice. You couldn't make it up.

If Harris adopts best practice then the UK is the place to emulate (well now after Isla Bryson), since Scotland imprisons sex/violent offenders by reference to their birth sex, and the same applies in the rest of the UK. Good old Adam Graham/Isla Bryson. Tied Nicola up in knots and then it all fell apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Violent sex offenders, whether they identify as male, female, lizard or something else should all be treated the same way when it comes to incarcertion.

Lock up in isolation for as long as their victim(s) deem appropriate with no access to TV or internet. Just books and basic food. Put in a toilet and shower in their cell and leave it at that.

Doesn't really matter whether it's a male or female prison tbh.

Again, as a society we are gone to far one way when it comes to punishing people for their crimes.

Advertisement