Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie Kardashian is in a women's prison. Taoiseach's response to questions on this are here..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The difference between a dangerous, violent, predatory man in a dress accessing a woman's toilet in Ireland in 2014, and a dangerous, violent, predatory man in a dress accessing a women's toilet post-2015 "under the radar" change, is that anyone challenging a man entering such a space now would be vulnerable to legal action for discrimination, should said man hold a GRC.

Barbie Kardashian has signed a form and paid a fiver. Barbie Kardashian is legally not just a woman, but female. So if you happen to be waiting outside a public toilet one day for your wife and daughter, or your elderly mother, and you see Barbie Kardashian's faceful of clown makeup slipping in there... well. Tough ****. If you challenge Barbie Kardashian you're in contravention of equality law.

And if you think the Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 that's currently wending its way through the Dáil isn't designed to dampen exactly this conversation, I have a bridge to sell you.

"What they identify as" matters quite a lot, actually.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

One internet-era tactic of extremist ideologues is to seek online moderation and editing power (on forums like this one and Reddit, Wikipedia, etc.) and then use that power to manipulate and obfuscate and shape narratives to further a given agenda.

Not saying that's happening on Boards.

Edited to avoid being banned for noticing patterns. 😂

Post edited by MilkyToast on

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

The problem is, this tactic is effective. Most people don't have time to follow this stuff closely. So when you present a potential scenario like "violent rapists will end up housed in women's prisons" - the trans rights activists can chuff about what a ridiculous, far-fetched, slippery slope nonsense argument it is and invoke talk of genocide and harm, and normal people will listen to them because the idea that a violent male rapist could be housed in a women's prison alongside vulnerable women is obviously insane and not something our justice system would ever even dream of doing. So they dismiss it.

And then, somewhere along the line, it happens. And suddenly it's all "How did we even get here?" from one crowd and complete silence from the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭lmao10

I think whats happening is what's best. Barbie is basically in solitary confinement and not able to interact with the female prisoners. I think the solution is to take things on a case by case basis. In this case I'd say she probably needs work on her mental health which can't be helped by being in solitary confinement but at the same time if thats where she is going to be then I agree with not allowing her, or other inmates with dangerous and violent pasts, to mix with the female population. This is also for her protection as there are also fears that she would be a target and not safe. The safety of all prisoners is paramount and a fundamental right. There are many on here who would like to see her thrown into the Joy amongst all the male prisoners there. I don't think that would be a safe environment for her but those kinds of people don't care about that.

The whole thing is definitely a challenging issue but I think it's been handled well by the prison service so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What's this scumbag even doing in Ireland? Who let him / her in?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

Do you think that teams will be informed that they will be playing against a former male? All females should pull out of the LGFA until they revise their policies. Money talks and no women equals no teams equals no sponsorship and egg on the face. Girls shouldn't have to risk their physical health in order to placate "feelings".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Just got a text that Paddy's podcast S2 E1 talks to people outside Limerick prison and revisits the topic in S2E4. I'm downloading it now so I've no idea if it's good/bad. Never heard of him before either so I've no opinion either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

They want "inclusion", yet don't care about women leaving sports because they are now at a disadvantage

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes the whole Nicola Sturgeon thing was a turning point.

Wasn't amongst the top stories in the news here but I was following it in Scotland.

That's one of the good things about living in a democracy, if the majority of people (in this case the vast vast majority) are completely against something then the writing is on the wall.

At one stage they were promoting the idea of preschoolers would be supported in their Choice of pronouns and choice of new names essentially allowing social transitions even if the parents didn't agree

Boards.ie prohibits the belief that sex is real, gender is nonsense, and pronouns correlate with sex. So people use nonsense language to avoid getting banned and having this topic remain completely in the dark, even if they don't believe in gender ideology or gendered souls or whatever (which is the purpose of the rules).

Post edited by MilkyToast on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭apache

I suppose the point is they won't be mixing with other females. It will be in their room or time alone exercising. The visiting committee will be up in arms over human rights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Would the Prison Service not just make an assessment based on health and safety and welfare and then make the decision on where to house someone?

If the prisoner doesn’t like it, let them go to Court. Let a judge look at the facts and make a judgement that everyone is then bound by.

The ridiculous back and forth, ‘what about this?’ ‘We need to consider x.’ We have laws. We have Courts. Let them decide. The State wastes enough money on barristers, what’s a few quid more?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - OK this thread is generating a ridiculous amount of reports which all need to be looked at. I can either close it for a review or you can take it down a notch. This thread has been let run without much mod intervention so far and it's turning into a disaster pretty fast,

1) Stop deliberately misgendering, the subject of the thread identifies as female and the topic centers around whether or not a women's prison is an appropriate place for them to serve their sentence

2) Stop complaining about moderation - threadbans will be handed out for this

The only safe place is solitary confinement. But the Visiting Committe (body of outside lay people who look after prisoner's rights) would say lack of human contact is wrong so where do you house this monstrocity?

• Advertisement

The law says that Barbie Kardashian is a woman exactly like your mum is a woman.

That's sort of the entire issue.

There's nothing to be gained by getting a thread lock,

Some people very much want this thread locked. That’s one of the problems. You can’t truthfully discuss this issue.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

They did look at the facts.

The fact is that BK is legally a woman as much as I am. Therefore, under the law, she must be housed in the female estate, no matter who she is or what she has done. When the state incarcerates someone, they are responsible for their welfare, putting a woman in a male prison is putting her at almost certain risk.

After that, there's a risk assessment done - as with all prisoners. That risk assessment is a case by case basis based on the individual. So in this case as she's a clear danger to staff and other inmates, extreme steps have been taken to ensure that no harm occurs if at all possible.

Prisons are one thing - you've got staff trained and alert for violence, and a building that was purpose built for it. But when BK is out, having served her sentence in a few years, she will have no guards protecting women from her24/7 the way it is now.

No because you have to be careful of what you say. I've met Barbie a few times. I know the score of it playing the system. Just doing the barest minimum of what's required of it in order to present as a woman. It's very wrong. I don't think there'd be any LGBT support either. It's clear to see what this is.

No could about it. She will murder, it's only a matter of time. She has 18 previous convictions and a deep hatred of women. She ripped the eyelids of her social worker unprovoked while the woman was driving. She's not going to skip out in less than three years time singing to woodland animals. She will either bide her time until release, or she will attack a woman in the prison if she can and get a follow on sentence for that. That's the best we can hope for, sadly.

• Advertisement

I think it's a fairly deranged position to say that using pronouns that correlate with a person's sex is in any way comparable to the examples you gave.

I've been "misgendered" multiple times and it's quite literally trivial nonsense. Disgusting comparison by you, to be fair. For shame.

Advertisement