Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭giveitholly

After a misty start thus morning the sun is trying to break out now and temperatures rising to almost 19c. Very pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

The weather in Dublin this week overall has been a bit meh.

Now it has been dry and its not cold so I'm not complaining but at same time no real sunshine all week.

I know I know only May but it definitely been a dull spring so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Yeah very non descript week but could be worse.

Ah yeah as I said can't complain, it finally stopped raining so I got plenty of clothes dry this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Yes non descript is the word. It’s trying to be nice and people are trying to talk it to be nice but it’s all a bit meh. The tabloids this week were incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I can't fault the weather over the past week or so. So dry and calm. We did need a bit of rain.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very wet day today. But rain gauge only at 9mm for the day so mainly that Summer heavy drizzle. About 6 or 7 hours at non stop mist n rain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

With all due respects compsys, that post is a bit patronising. Not just to me but to other posters.

I would credit people who post on the weather forum with reasonable intelligence and with a basic knowledge of world climate differences. I've personally never seen anybody expecting Mediterranean type weather in Ireland and I've been a regular here for years.

Likewise, the remark re complaints about England. Not really sure what your point is there. England does enjoy better weather overall, which people realise and understandably envy.

I'm a Kerry native but lived for many years in Dublin, as well as having spent a lot of my life in both northern and southern Europe. You're right re Kerry's copious quantities of rain and therein lies my problem. Kerry is a beautiful county and a lovely place to live for many reasons, but with a climate which sucks. And as an outdoorsy person I spend at least half of every summer abroad. I wouldn't need to if we had decent weather at home. I don't want Med weather as I'm also a big fan of winter and love the cold. But my big problem is the rain and year round temps in the teens. Yes we sometimes get wonderful periods of respite, heatwaves and cold waves, but it's unpredictable. And I'd consider that a realistic assessment of at least the Kerry climate.

Dublin fares better, but not a million times better. I was only there today. Drove through a rainy landscape from west to east at first light. Spent the afternoon in Dublin city centre. Pleasant but overcast and Kerry was similar, by all accounts. Driving back this evening I hit rain in Limerick and it's been wet since, just stopping now. Maybe the east escaped that as it gets far less rain.

One thing I will say is that though we get a lot of crappy weather in Kerry, I think we fare better than Donegal.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Warm and cloudy all day with a fair bit of rain. Castlederg recorded 21c today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Plenty of rain yesterday after a dry few days. Very little sun seen around here in the last week.

Leitrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Warm and cloudy all day in Meath yesterday. Was at least happy with dry for family event. Lashing rain by afternoon in West as family drove back that way in evening.

We have drizzle in Meath this morning. 11⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Very little sun everywhere old Rio. It’s trying hard but despite the tabloid headlines it’s all been a damp(up until yesterday dry)squib.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Brightening up nicely here in Castlebar. Another day of useable weather

Humid again here in Dublin but still no sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A beautiful end to the day here in Mayo. 9.11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

When considering the weather in May-August, I always think about what my options would be in 6 month time. For example what options do people have on November 22 when it's dark very early and likely too cold or bleak for many activities? That question often motivates me to get out and about no matter what the weather is doing in these lovely bright months. No regrets and don't wait for "perfect weather"!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Only a month to go till the days start getting shorter again.......😉😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

At the risk of being accused of having a one track mind, I saw a recent picture of a 25 foot snow wall in Nevada. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for that to melt completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I would be of the same view, mostly, but it does depend on the activity you want to do, for instance I would not risk climbing a mountain in wet or breezy weather. I have no problem walking in wet weather. I got used to such things walking on Keel beach as a teenager during wet summer months . I think we appreciate the fine days more than places that are guaranteed dry and warm weather, people living in these places can take it for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a lovely morning here in Meath. No signs of any rainfall over the next 10 to 14 days. Better off staying in Ireland over the next 2 weeks to enjoy the weather, this wouldn't be a good time to go to Spain for example, they are in for some serious deluges over the next week to 10 days. Much of the Mediterranean region is having a very unsettled period of weather all the way from Spain/Portugal over to Greece and this could last into the beginning of June. If I had a Spanish holiday booked over the next week or 2 I'd be trying to postpone it till the middle or end of June instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Rub it, why don't ya! I'm only jesting with you as I'm off to Spain (near Malaga) tomorrow, for 12 nights. That part of Spain looks like having somewhat of an improvement from tomorrow for overall, the weather does indeed look like being generally better in Ireland than Malaga during the time I'll be there. The only hope I have is that there are some good thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

they need rain more than ever in Iberia, hopefully they get a good soaking

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There should be no shortage of thunder and lightning in the Malaga region over the next 10 days. Hopefully you will catch one of their more epic storms. I've caught several thunderstorms in the region over the years but none of them were properly spectacular like a strobe lighting show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

I'm not sure what your point is.

People have been complaining that it's been a 'cold' spring.

Spring has been mild by Irish standards. That's not up for debate. You can't debate actual facts. That's all I'm saying.

How is using facts patronising?

It's amazing that on a weather forum, where people have easy access to lots of data, and are supposed to be weather enthusiasts, so many can get it so wrong. It really feels like we live in a post-truth world.

Has spring been dull? Maybe. Wet? Probably. Depending on location. Cold? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Dazler97

While where getting the good weather this week iberia will get all the rain this week ,hate all the weather clickbait saying Ireland going to be warmer than Malaga ugh 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Hey calm down! If you're looking for a fight find someone else. I'm not here to debate anything. I'm here to give my opinion and express how I feel and find it patronising to be told that I'm expecting 25-30 degrees or Med weather if I complain. I'm fully aware of the differences between the Irish and other climates and also fully aware of the climatic differences within Ireland. As for the other weather enthusiasts on here and their access to lots of data etc, I certainly wouldn't presume to say they're getting it wrong or right. Most are just expressing their opinion too.

I happen to find people who constantly talk up the weather or indeed anything, a bit tiresome. Just as it seems to irritate you when people are more negative, or perhaps realistic. Let's agree to disagree!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

"I happen to find people who constantly talk up the weather or indeed anything, a bit tiresome".

Well you sound like a right barrel of laughs... I'll try be more negative from now on 😆

"Just as it seems to irritate you when people are more negative, or perhaps realistic."

But the thing is I'm the one being realistic. You're not. I fully accept the Irish maritime climate. And that we're in a country surrounded by a huge, cool sea. And I'm not complaining as we've had a fairly normal spring for Ireland with well above average temps. You seem to have unrealistic expectations of what weather Ireland can expect in April and May.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the upcoming week of good weather and that it meets your standards...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭denismc

From a few evenings ago

Cork of course 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Awful day, when I went outside this morning the chill in the air reminded me of late September.

ME says 12 at Dublin A but it doesn’t feel like it due to the wind chill, a bloody awful spring this year imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement