Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I accepted long ago that the weather in summer will mostly be shite here so I enjoy it more when it comes along. But then again I get over 30c where I’m at when it aligns right. Malin head could be 14 or 15c at the same time as happened last summer. Equally you can have those in drier parts of Ireland post as if there in a mad dash to board Noah’s ark when they’ve had a week of above average rainfall yet it’s still 2 or 3 times less than Valentia haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

Also, under the right conditions, parts of Kerry and Donegal can get well in the 20s while Dublin can struggle to get to 20º because of the sea breeze.

Swings and roundabouts and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭esposito

Gorgeous morning in Dublin. Tempted to go for my first swim of 2023 butI know that sea is going to be damn cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's been lovely weather in Galway since last Friday. Dry and bright for the most part. The growth and birdlife is simply spectacular. More of this please!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What the fcuk happened the Met Éireann forecast, looked at it last night and it was all rosy, up to low 20's next week and signs of high pressure.

This morning it's gone to utter sh*te, raining from tomorrow and cold and miserable next week.

What?

Also seems at complete odds nearly with MT's forecast. How can such a sudden drastic change occur? Is it down to the meteorologist writing the forecast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lovely day in North Dub. To echo the poster above, Dublin Live, The Sun, all our favourite high brow news casters have been creaming themselves over a heatwave coming in the next few days, but I see no evidence of it anywhere on RTE or met.ie etc.

It's all bullsh*t isn't it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The weekend was never looking great, there will be high pressure around but rain or showers at times also especially on Saturday and Sunday, however precipitation amounts should be relatively small. Temperatures over the next week generally between 14 and 17C, maybe 18C so far from a heatwave or a scorcher. The headlines of warm weather, heatwaves and scorchers is just fantasy in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Any idea at this stage what the weather will be like middle of next week ??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

At the moment the middle of next week is looking relatively dry and temperatures mid to high teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What a day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Stunning evening Meath. Hope it holds for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

It was a nice afternoon in Trim, Meath. Walked to the vet and back with the dog around 17:00 and the temperature was not far from 20°. Even better, it was finally mild enough for me to go for the walk without a jacket, the first time this year! Very hazy now and the breeze has picked up so getting a bit chilly for t-shirt wearing but nice, all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It's weather clickbait unfortunately, does my head in

IF there really was proper warm weather/heatwave on the way, the FI thread would have had several pages of posts added very quickly in the run up to it. Here on the weather forum we don't need the rag papers to alert us to warm weather or heatwaves when all they make up is lies to fool people into reading their articles.

While there isn't a heatwave on the way there is an improvement in the weather with a quieter dryer period of weather for the remainder of May, however it won't be completely dry, there will be showers or light rain at times, especially this weekend. Temperatures will be fairly average between now and end of next week and then a warm up looks possible from next weekend with temperatures perhaps reaching low 20s during final week of May and into first few days of June.

Certainly an improving scene after the long drawn out muck that has dominated the majority of Spring.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It hasn't been terrible lately but I feel like usually by now we've had a couple of days of full on blue skies and nice temperatures in May, pictures of girls in bikinis on the front of tabloids, "Hotter than Athens!" headlines etc., giving us false hope for the summer, but it hasn't happened this year. I suppose we had a couple of exceptionally good springs during COVID times, or I'm just romanticising the past.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely evening in Ardfert,Co. Kerry, 12.9C after a modest high of 15.8C, great spell of weather in general, certainly a bit on the cool side but will take it any time over the rainy days.

Pic: 20.15 approx

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Robwindstorm

You certainly know how to take a beautiful photo there meteorite. Are they black Kerry cattle or Angus? And is that a church ruin in the distance even though it looks to have quite a sharp structure to it. It just looks a little bit odd looking or out of place for the surrounding countryside. Great spell of weather at last, the land is just managing to soak up all that rain now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thanks Robwindstorm. That is Ardfert Cathedral on the hill and the bell tower of Temple na Griffin, a later 15th century Church. Not too well up on the cattle but don't think they are Kerry cows so presume Angus. Love this time of the year, the place is so lush at the moment. Great cutting of silage going on around me, fields across from me probably collecting tomorrow I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Dull and dry and calm. 13⁰ Meath.

Cut the grass this week @Gonzo I know you like a mowed lawn. Anyway can't beliveve it's still damp on cutting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If some of the longe range seasonal models are to be believed we could be in for a wet and cool Summer at times due to blocking highs going too far north, which will then likely lead to slow moving low pressure over us or nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭pauldry

Nice pleasant May day in the West. Quite good the past week or so. Here's some exciting news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Cloudy and dull its still like a winters sky even in summer quite cold too...only a month away from the longest day of the year the sun cant get any stronger yet we cant even get 20 degrees which is common enough to get even back at the end of March...they are still getting -minus 9 temperatures in parts of america...forget global warming if its gets any colder I dont know what we'll do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Lovely afternoon with the temperatures around 18c and the sun starting to break through,quite pleasant to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice afternoon here in Castlebar. Pleasant out and about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Some people wearing shorts and a winter jacket...only in ireland its summer but its not really

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I saw recent pictures of snow clearing in Michigan and at Yosemite Park. Michigan got over a foot of snow a week ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nice post there from @Gonzo

Time to conserve water I think; if it's yellow, let it mellow etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

That was a lovely May week in the south midlands. A very dry, pleasant week. Nothing spectacular, but it's bright from 5am until 9.45pm or so and you can do so much outdoors.

Great drying for the land too, really coming at the right time for farmers' silage making etc.

• Advertisement

Fields dusty here in Cork again as farmers getting the silage done. We got through that really showery spell last week without much more than an odd sprinkle. Our weather has been mad the last year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement